What does your day look like?

Mica

Likes Dirt

Love a Wednesday public holiday. Even better as its Brisbane only, a quick drive to Redcliffe and every other sucker is at work!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
^^ has that kids mum gone for a swim and the wee tacker trying to fish her out?

Does look idyllic though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
After some calls to the shop in Melbourne I bought it from, we figured out the instructions on the kit were not quite right. But now the reverse camera adapter works! Much wiring including tapping into the canbus network, and even needed cracking open the headunit to patch into its circuit board...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I hate Auto electrics, so messy!..no pride in their work
Me too, which is why I did this myself. The wiring has since that photo been subject to a lot of work tidying up routing and layout and now sits very neatly :)

I also used crimped terminal blocks and crimped butt connectors sealed with shrinkwrap where an auto electrician probably would have used those horrible plastic crimp or solder with electrical tape...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
scotch locks should be banned...soldering connections should best be avoided on anything that moves too- it does have its place, but not in cars.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Want insane cabling?

What was there, thanks to an Oz aftermarket installation in the Evora:

After I discovered & resolved it:

Straya!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
At least it looks like they used decent connections... But yes, I’ve discovered stuff like that (and worse...) too in second hand cars :(

Messy wiring like also causes rattles...

(on that, the Alfa dealer recently told me with a straight face they don’t like to try to fix rattles in doors and dashes because they just end up with more. Not letting that bloke work on my car!!!!!)

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You think that lot of wiring is bad. I work on farm machinery. Farmers have a way of wiring things that defy logic. Should start taking more photos of that stuff again

Flow-Rider

Burner
A lot of Auto electricians don't know any better because that's the way business teaches people in Australia. It's all about making money and not many people keep their car for a long time anyway. I had an Auto electrician owe me money and let him do some jobs on my car. Holey fuck, had to stop him when he tried to hammer a flat bladed screw driver through my radiator support panel to fit a switch in.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
A lot of Auto electricians don't know any better because that's the way business teaches people in Australia. It's all about making money and not many people keep their car for a long time anyway. I had an Auto electrician owe me money and let him do some jobs on my car. Holey fuck, had to stop him when he tried to hammer a flat bladed screw driver through my radiator support panel to fit a switch in.
Please tell me you stopped him by hammering that screwdriver through his hand........

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That voids just about every electronic part in a car because everything is soldered into a circuit board.
Circuit boards don’t move ;) We’re talking about wiring in looms - wires that flex and move about.

You’ll not find anything in the wiring soldered from the factory.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Please tell me you stopped him by hammering that screwdriver through his hand........
Lol! I felt like it at the time, he knew I owned a few drills and drill bits.

He put in a car Alarm for friend and he ran the wires near the window regulators for the lock solenoids and they shorted. It burnt out all 4 of the solenoids for the locks in the locked position and we couldn't get any of the doors open. I had to break the boot lock and kick the back seat down and the remove the door card from inside the car to get the drivers door open.

Circuit boards don’t move ;) We’re talking about wiring in looms - wires that flex and move about.

You’ll not find anything in the wiring soldered from the factory.
How do they connect the wiring to supply the electrical boards, most wiring needs to be tied back anyway. You wouldn't solder a joint like in the door jamb wiring. Soldering water proofs the joints, you can't get any better. You will not see it these days because a lot of the wires are made from aluminium and it's an expensive process.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Circuits boards are connected to looms with plugs that have the pins crimped to the wire.

It’s just a principle. Looms don’t move much, but fatigue sets in over years from small movements. I suspect in practice the risk is low but it’s the way the manufacturers do it so I do it that way too.

stirk

Burner

Love a Wednesday public holiday. Even better as its Brisbane only, a quick drive to Redcliffe and every other sucker is at work!
errrr, teach the lad how to hold his rod please.

Want insane cabling?

What was there, thanks to an Oz aftermarket installation in the Evora:

After I discovered & resolved it:

Straya!
You are primed for clean up Australia day!! I'm getting the feels that anything other than perfection will flip the 'order' switch.

I can relate

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You know I have seen way more issues caused by crimp connectors than even a shoddy soldered joint. I wont talk about Scotch locks, they don't even rate a mention. But hey, we each have our own fantasies. Just make sure the wiring, however it is done, is supported and sealed appropriately.

I solder...

This was a dealer installed towbar. You can't see the several bites in the insulation where the Scotch locks were installed and then removed to be put somewhere else.

Yes, I lied. I mentioned Scotchlocks.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Last comment - those red/blue/yellow insulated crimp connectors fitted with the glorified pliers crimping tool are worse than soldering for sure. The metal used is weak and the join horrible.

But proper good quality uninsulated butt connectors used with a proper ratcheting tool and insulated with heat shrink to seal it is best IMO.