What does your day look like?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
@Haakon be careful, if those pillar strikes render the car unroadworthy you could see an insurer walk away if it is involved in an accident. You wouldn't want to run into one of @johnny Bentleys and then find you have to foot the bill. Get some advice.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
@Haakon be careful, if those pillar strikes render the car unroadworthy you could see an insurer walk away if it is involved in an accident. You wouldn't want to run into one of @johnny Bentleys and then find you have to foot the bill. Get some advice.
Yes, thanks DC. It’s a good point and I was planning to call the insurer and make sure my their party is still valid if I keep using it.

It should be I think, it’s the car I hit that im insuring. But I hadn’t necessarily joined the “technically not able to pass a roadworthy check” with that... Hmmm.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, thanks DC. It’s a good point and I was planning to call the insurer and make sure my their party is still valid if I keep using it.

It should be I think, it’s the car I hit that im insuring. But I hadn’t necessarily joined the “technically not able to pass a roadworthy check” with that... Hmmm.
Most insurers will still have a clause that the vehicle is not damaged, even for third party.
I ran into the issue years ago with an old 4WD that was road worthy but had more than the specified amount of body dents. Even though they were just off-road damage. Check your T's & C's.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Most insurers will still have a clause that the vehicle is not damaged, even for third party.
I ran into the issue years ago with an old 4WD that was road worthy but had more than the specified amount of body dents. Even though they were just off-road damage. Check your T's & C's.
I checked, they are happy to keep insuring the hail damaged Megane for third party only after ive repaired damage to a roadworthy condition. This is where DC is I think right - that A pillar damage would not pass a roadworthy inspection.

If the car is demonstrably not in a roadworthy condition when it comes time to claim, they can very easily deny it....

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I checked, they are happy to keep insuring the hail damaged Megane for third party only after ive repaired damage to a roadworthy condition. This is where DC is I think right - that A pillar damage would not pass a roadworthy inspection.

If the car is demonstrably not in a roadworthy condition when it comes time to claim, they can very easily deny it....
could you find a repairable write off at auction and swap all your goodies over to it, everyone loves a project
It pains me to encourage anybody to persist with a Renault as a project, but in light of what has happened, I do feel for you Harpies!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
take it to a mechanic and get an equivalent of a pink slip Hakon - that is a safety inspection and they can can tell you whether its a problem or not - if he says yes , then get your lights fixed etc

Haakon

Keeps on digging
take it to a mechanic and get an equivalent of a pink slip Hakon - that is a safety inspection and they can can tell you whether its a problem or not - if he says yes , then get your lights fixed etc
Spoke to a roadworthy inspection place this morning and he confirmed such damage is a fail. I should have remembered, I almost didn’t get a Magna wagon I bought fro my Mum from a hail auction in Melbourne years ago through its VIV inspection - it only passed because they knew it was only for personal use of two old hippies in the bush and it would never be sold... And that was a smaller dent in the A pillar than the Megane.

Short version is these dents are considered structural and therefore unroadworthy.

It’s not worth re-shelling it either... Or spending real dollars on having the pillar dents repaired (if they even can be due to the ultra high strength steel used...). It just has sentimental value and it is a bloody shame to kill what was a good car. Lots of good cars being killed in Canberra from this...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
could you find a repairable write off at auction and swap all your goodies over to it, everyone loves a project
It pains me to encourage anybody to persist with a Renault as a project, but in light of what has happened, I do feel for you Harpies!
Thanks fatty. I know it’s just a car etc, but I’m still sad it died...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah a colleague reckons they don't do the old give you a cheque and keep the car any more on comprehensive. Issues around rebirthing and roadworthiness.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah a colleague reckons they don't do the old give you a cheque and keep the car any more on comprehensive. Issues around rebirthing and roadworthiness.
I think that might just be in NSW where the write-off rules kill anything even economic write offs. ACT and Victoria etc have the economic write off caper still.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I was just witness to & nearly part of the most unbelievable accident I think I’ve ever seen.

Heading south on Princes Hwy at Arncliffe, six lane road (three each way), opposite that Raglan Group gone bust apartment block there’s a cross street that often invites ridiculous driver behaviour as it’s right turn left turn u turn whatever you like turn at the bottom of a hill on a six lane main road.

Anyway, a Merc ML SUV comes out of the side street at between 50-60km/h, perpendicular straight into the main road.

Right in front of me, no brakes, nothing.

Hits a lady in a Mazda CX-5 right in the side-middle of her car, so hard her car is literally scooped sideways across two lanes & dumped into oncoming traffic where she managed to stop fast & only have a partial head on with one oncoming car.

There was one car between me & the crash, that being a Pajero 4WD who had to do some serious avoidance to avoid being part of it. Immediately he was out & on the phone so I dealt with the other peeps.

I’d been behind him for a few mins & recognised the car as an RMS vehicle but it didn’t have stickers or lights any more. Well I was right - he’s an RMS commander (stickers only just removed!) & after we’d determined there were no injuries he authorised the road be opened by any means possible as by this time the major south arterial road from the city was completely blocked.

I left my phone number with him just in case.

Driving is a fools game.

This is a sign to get back on the train.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I was just witness to & nearly part of the most unbelievable accident I think I’ve ever seen.

Heading south on Princes Hwy at Arncliffe, six lane road (three each way), opposite that Raglan Group gone bust apartment block there’s a cross street that often invites ridiculous driver behaviour as it’s right turn left turn u turn whatever you like turn at the bottom of a hill on a six lane main road.

Anyway, a Merc ML SUV comes out of the side street at between 50-60km/h, perpendicular straight into the main road.

Right in front of me, no brakes, nothing.

Hits a lady in a Mazda CX-5 right in the side-middle of her car, so hard her car is literally scooped sideways across two lanes & dumped into oncoming traffic where she managed to stop fast & only have a partial head on with one oncoming car.

There was one car between me & the crash, that being a Pajero 4WD who had to do some serious avoidance to avoid being part of it. Immediately he was out & on the phone so I dealt with the other peeps.

I’d been behind him for a few mins & recognised the car as an RMS vehicle but it didn’t have stickers or lights any more. Well I was right - he’s an RMS commander (stickers only just removed!) & after we’d determined there were no injuries he authorised the road be opened by any means possible as by this time the major south arterial road from the city was completely blocked.

I left my phone number with him just in case.

Driving is a fools game.

Must’ve just gotten through before you.
I’d train if I could.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Driving is a fools game.

It is, you can enjoy the shoulder to shoulder company of your fellow train commuters and their hygiene habits :|
There are utter idiots loose out there on the roads. I see stupid behaviour and incidents that push people to retaliate quite a bit.
The sooner fully autonomous cars make an impact, the better.