What does your day look like?

Jpez

Down on the left!
A quiet day at work and I was getting bored, so I had a play on the router and made some interlocking chairs.

The finishing on these is going to be a bitch, there's a whole lot of edges to aris, sand then wax/seal...any tips on finish would be appreciated, I was thinking just a satin wipe on poly.

Osmo oil FTW. Natural based hardwax/oil, easy to apply. Looks great.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Very nice. Just chuck a cushion on it. On the bottom of the cushion print a disclaimer.
These are going in the kids rooms so Mr 8 shouldn't have any problems for a few years yet, and a cushion kinda takes away from the look of it I reckon. Mind you at the rate Mrs buys the things I think I'll be able to find a few spares lying about, I'm sure she keeps the local Matt Blatt store buzzing along.

Ready for market! If you had a portable workshop you could make them on site.
Not sure I'm ready to give up the day job yet and I might need a catalogue containing more than a grand total of one item, I might look into doing some tables/desks, but what I'm doing is nothing new or original. In saying that a few of the guys here have seen the chairs and may have a few more projects, one of which is a kit-set dinosaur about 7' tall for his kid (not sure on that one though, I see a topple hazard when Mr 3 decides to ride it).

The portable thing is a good idea, I recall seeing a episode of Grand Designs years ago where a guy had the same CNC router set up on tray of his truck, the sides folded down to give you work space around it but also acted as lifts to get substrates up to the bed. He was using it to create custom kitchens cabinetry onsite. It was a hell of a set up.

Osmo oil FTW. Natural based hardwax/oil, easy to apply. Looks great.
Don't be shocked when you see the price of Osmo but a small can goes a long way. Great stuff.
Cheers, I'll look into it. What's the best way to apply the stuff, wipe/brush/roller or spray?

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
These are going in the kids rooms so Mr 8 shouldn't have any problems for a few years yet, and a cushion kinda take away from the look of it I reckon. Mind you at the rate Mrs buys the things I think I'll be able to find a few spares lying about, I'm sure she keeps the local Matt Blatt store buzzing along.

Not sure I'm ready to give up the day job yet and I might need a catalogue containing more than a grand total of one item, I might look into doing some tables/desks, but what I'm doing is nothing new or original. In saying that a few of the guys here have seen the chairs and may have a few more projects, one of which is a kitset dinosaur about 7' tall for his kid (not sure on that one though, I see a topple hazard when Mr 3 decides to ride it).

The portable thing is a good idea, I recall seeing a episode of Grand Designs years ago where a guy had the same CNC router set up on tray of his truck, the sides folded down to give you work space around it but also acted as lifts to get substrates up to the bed. He was using it to create custom kitchens cabinetry onsite. It was a hell of a set up.

Cheers, I'll look into it. What's the best way to apply the stuff, wipe/brush/roller or spray?
Flat surfaces I use a 4mm nap roller but just rag it on your application.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
For hard wearing areas like table tops I use some stuff from Osmo that is a type of outdoor timber preparation first. An initial coat of the stuff will make the top layers of Osmo much harder wearing. Can't for the life of me remember what its called. Will look in the shed for the can if I get a chance later today.

nzhumpy

I may have already found it, the stuff you're talking about is Top Oil, I went out and bought a can of this which should do for a couple of chairs...it better, as you said up there ^ stuff ain't cheap.

Edit: Ok, so have given both chairs their first coat and have used about 20mm out of the top of the tin...I may have overcooked it with the 750mls option.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I may have already found it, the stuff you're talking about is Top Oil, I went out and bought a can of this which should do for a couple of chairs...it better, as you said up there ^ stuff ain't cheap.

Edit: Ok, so have given both chairs their first coat and have used about 20mm out of the top of the tin...I may have overcooked it with the 750mls option.
You just need more chairs.

nzhumpy

You just need more chairs.
Might use it as an incentive to create a few desks, more surface area, less edges, I've got to say I'm really enjoying this.

The whole deal has turned into a bit of a shitfight about 4.30 anyway, details to follow in the LTIH thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok, so have given both chairs their first coat and have used about 20mm out of the top of the tin...I may have overcooked it with the 750mls option.
Sounds ready to go full factory with this. You'll be set up at some tranquil Sunday markets in no time. Churning out chair after chair to the crowd of old folks with nothing better to do in their day than gawk at your craftsmanship. You'll be rich!

Had my first ride on dirt in so many months this afternoon. Just a few laps of the pussy line of dirt jumps at Hornsby. Got schooled by almost all the local teen shredders.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...have to clear coat it but am worried the paint will streak...
Looks cool.

What type of paint is it? Could you use a spraypack (rattlecan) to clearcoat it? Couple of light coats to seal it then more coats or some kind of brushed clear over the top?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Finished this recently, have to clear coat it but am worried the paint will streak.
Mrs uses this to seal her paintings and it works a treat. Found at those Eckersleys chain stores. Also doubles as a clear coat replacement to touch up frame too.

DSC_1941.jpg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
First day off in 9 days, so I decide to go for a pedal. There was some mechanical issues and by the time that was all resolved I fell asleep on the lounge. When I woke up it had became unseasonably hot, way too hot to ride. Then I remembered that it now gets dark before 6...and tomorrow I'm back on for another 9 day stretch. What a disappointing day. I decided I needed to take charge so ate a fairly big steal for dinner.

stirk

Burner
Watching this navy vessel playing some games with another one too far away to photograph, some kind of signals boat, anyone know?