What does your day look like?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
No, but looking now I don’t know why that brand would be better than any generic Chinese model?

Maybe it is, but the intermenets doesn’t tell me much.
The guys on the tools at work have them and rate them highly, some of the older Hafco units have well outlived newer drills from other brands that have done a 1/4 of the work .

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Hmm it’s not all rosy at Machinery House. Their 2.8 stars google review is justified in my experience. Eyes wide open when purchasing anything from them.

Can’t go wrong with green Bosch. Their after sales support is still stellar.

I’ve helped a few mates buy large equipment from machinery house and they are rude fucks when issues are pointed out. Their lack of QC on incoming goods, and likewise at the factories in China, is not the customers problem.

I now use Asset Plant and Machinery when I can.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have had good experiences overall at Machinery House but you need to be careful as link says. My new press leaked like a sieve because the machining on the hydraulic cylinder fittings was poor. The demo unit was the same and I put that down to their quick set up. Anyway they sent me a new ram which also leaked. I remachined the fittings but without a lathe you would be stuck. The mill and new lathe have been fabulous though the mill had a blown capacitor from the test run at the factory. Again an easy fix but frustrating when you want to play with the new toys.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have had good experiences overall at Machinery House but you need to be careful as link says. My new press leaked like a sieve because the machining on the hydraulic cylinder fittings was poor. The demo unit was the same and I put that down to their quick set up. Anyway they sent me a new ram which also leaked. I remachined the fittings but without a lathe you would be stuck. The mill and new lathe have been fabulous though the mill had a blown capacitor from the test run at the factory. Again an easy fix but frustrating when you want to play with the new toys.
It's definitely cheap shite, the 20 ton press I have bought from them has been flawless for over 9 years but I wouldn't risk my life taking it to 20 ton, a mate of mine lost his front with the cast iron spreader plates, it's the first thing I threw away. My brother bought a Chinese lathe from them about 10 years and the headstock bearing were noisy from new, it does the job but if you want quality you've got to pay for it, hydraulic rams without chroming is a pretty good indication of cheapness.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's definitely cheap shite, the 20 ton press I have bought from them has been flawless for over 9 years but I wouldn't risk my life taking it to 20 ton, a mate of mine lost his front with the cast iron spreader plates, it's the first thing I threw away. My brother bought a Chinese lathe from them about 10 years and the headstock bearing were noisy from new, it does the job but if you want quality you've got to pay for it, hydraulic rams without chroming is a pretty good indication of cheapness.
Holy generalisations batman. Your experience is different to mine. My current lathe is excellent and so is the mill. Accuracy is very good. The old lathe was a generic Chinese thing. Could never trust the dials.

The press has been taken to its limit multiple times since i fixed the fittings. The ram is definitely chromed. And the bandsaw has been great as well even after #1 dropped it out of the tractor bucket.

Whatever. Lathe is not the default H&F brand though.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Holy generalisations batman. Your experience is different to mine. My current lathe is excellent and so is the mill. Accuracy is very good. The old lathe was a generic Chinese thing. Could never trust the dials.

The press has been taken to its limit multiple times since i fixed the fittings. The ram is definitely chromed. And the bandsaw has been great as well even after #1 dropped it out of the tractor bucket.

Whatever. Lathe is not the default H&F brand though.
I've even got a manual hydraulic engine crane from them, if you leave the ram out it forms rusts and then when you use it again it chops the seals out, welds on it look like a 10 year old done them. My brother is a qualified machinist of 30 years and he said the lathe is no where near as good as a worn out UK built one. The Servex presses are way more superior to the hafco ones and the old Ritchie engine cranes that have since been run out of the market with cheap imports.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Re-establishing the rear boundary of a very steep block today before a new retaining wall goes in after some storm damage.
Working with surveyors who are passionate about the job and know the instruments inside out is amazing. It's a pretty good feeling when you start from down the street, traverse into a steep block and find an old survey mark that checks to half a millimetre.

The fall over this block was about 12m and all the machinery was dropped into the backyard by crane.