What does your day look like?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Home now. Tracks were extremely soft, many many people getting stuck. Lots of numpties with no recovery gear, tyres at road pressure and brains left in the drawer at home. One guy was stuck on the beach access and was (I thought) a bit bolshy considering he was the one stuck. No gear, no recovery points, no shovel, tyres at highway pressures. His only comment was "I am a local" as if that meant he didn't need any gear. Someone else was pulling him out backwards as he was stuck at the entrance. Had to clear the way so I took the recovery gear bag and threw it to him (actually it was at him apparently).

Tides and winds were not so friendly so I spent a lot less time on the bike and more in the kayaks along with a few hikes. I enjoyed surfing the waves over the bombies and sandbars though I did almost get swamped a few times. Also spent more time lazing in the water which was very satisfying in the heat of the day.

Couple of other shots that I took.

and a non phone pic of this little fella

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Monitors are cool. real scary claws but cool.
We had collapsible buckets of water for washing up and several came into camp. Little ones could stand up and drink without a problem, big guys just collapsed the buckets and water went everywhere. I didnt realise they drink into a pouch in their throats then raise their heads and drain the water into their stomachs. Quite a few times they walked under the camper, under our chairs while we were sitting in them and just walk through camp. They dont fight, just tolerate each other.

Channel billed cuckoos were back too. Weird is the only was to describe them.

D01

Likes Dirt
Nocturnal visitor.

That reminds me of an afternoon I had a couple of months ago..

I saw an echidna in the middle of the road right next to a large intersection with buildings and chain link fencing all around. I thought it's no good putting him on the side of the road because there's no where to go to and he might go back on the road, so I quickly bundled him up and put him in the foot well behind my seat. I thought I'd just drive down the road a bit to somewhere safer for him, as I drove off I thought I hope he can't get under my seat and then under my feet so I reached under the seat and thought the gaps too narrow, he can't fit through there.

Three seconds later there's an echidna under the seat, then out and under the accelerater, this isn't good, then he goes under the brake, fuck this is worse. Luckily he keeps moving and sticks his nose in under the dash then stops.

I pull over have a look at him, he's scared now and dug himself in. He's not going anywhere, I'll have to drive 20 minutes home to extract him. It was a slow and careful drive back along the highway hoping he didn't move and go under my feet again.

I get home and have a better look, it actually looks like his quills have wedged him in there and he can't back out. But every time I try to move him he squirms in a little bit further. So I give him some space to see if he'll back out himself, 45 minutes later he's still there. He's got more patience than me, or he really is stuck, so over the next hour I carefully prodded and pulled before he finally came free.

So I put him in a cardboard box and drove all the way back to where I originally was going to take him. What a way to spend an afternoon, I had actually planned to get home and go for a ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hahhahaaaa!!!!

Been there done that, but before he could bury behind the dash I sacrificed my hands to pull him back.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Very cool. I love the inquisitive ones, I’ve had one lick the top my bare foot.

Their spikes are indeed as sharp as they look.

CTguru and I were chatting out the front of his house one day and an echidna walks between us. Little dude didn’t give two shits.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Last day of work for the year but we're moving sheds so have so many rush jobs, half finished jobs and just all round shit jobs to deal with.