What does your day look like?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Black car is mine, $3k car with only 3rd party as it's just the "Dad's work car". The Forester was under cover. Trashed are:

Windscreen, mirrors, light covers, etc. Car looks like a golf ball. Don't want to get rid of it, only bought it t6 months back.

Looks like I'm going to be driving a butt-ugly car for a while.
We are in the same boat then... Along with a few thousand others!!

Trying to work out if the Megane is worth keeping as a hack. Will cost a grand in glass and lights to put back into service....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
holy shit gentlemen - something distinctly cruel when its uninsured - that damage is as bad as ive ever seen - roofs as well id imagine?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ford Fiestas are awesome - not surprised you want to keep it.
Always surprised at how much get up and go this little thing has!

It's going to be a test of my pride. The car will still work fine once the windows and whatnot are fixed. But will my ego allow me to drive a beat up looking car as a commuter and not care what other people think?

In the end, it's the wallet's decision anyway. Ego is just going to have to STFU and deal with it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Always surprised at how much get up and go this little thing has!

It's going to be a test of my pride. The car will still work fine once the windows and whatnot are fixed. But will my ego allow me to drive a beat up looking car as a commuter and not care what other people think?

In the end, it's the wallet's decision anyway. Ego is just going to have to STFU and deal with it.
Next minute... @johnny is driving a Mustang

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm guessing mine is a repairable write off, new windscreen and plastic bit under the wipers, and the 70 or so dents can stay there and they give me cash for the difference. That would be the simplest path forward, a ~12 grand car is probably not worth spending 6+ on cosmetics. Be a good first car for the kid when he finally decides to get a licence.

The VW's seem to have thick skin, the dings are substantially shallower than other cars parked nearby, and the same with one of my team members who has a few years older VW.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
All I've got from insurance so far is that they are trying to set up an assessment centre and then start looking at damage. It will take a while, so they are recommending to get car driveable asap (windscreen and sunroof for me) - but I'm still waiting for the windscreen place to call me after taking details last night haha.

My car only worth $6k, so I'm wondering if I should go buy something this weekend (I was starting to look last weekend as it happens) anyway, and recoup as much as possible down the track...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The VW's seem to have thick skin, the dings are substantially shallower than other cars parked nearby, and the same with one of my team members who has a few years older VW.
Probably high-tensile alloys rather than just thicker metal.

IIRC - A lot of the high-tensile stuff shouldn't really be repaired as it is effectively "single use" when it comes to absorbing an impact or deformative force, but you can bet many will be repaired and put back into rotation with work-hardened metals from repairs. Probably fine in day to day use, just wouldn't want to be in one getting crashed a second time.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Probably high-tensile alloys rather than just thicker metal.

IIRC - A lot of the high-tensile stuff shouldn't really be repaired as it is effectively "single use" when it comes to absorbing an impact or deformative force, but you can bet many will be repaired and put back into rotation with work-hardened metals from repairs. Probably fine in day to day use, just wouldn't want to be in one getting crashed a second time.
Anything hail damages won't contribute two hoots to the safety cell.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm guessing mine is a repairable write off, new windscreen and plastic bit under the wipers, and the 70 or so dents can stay there and they give me cash for the difference. That would be the simplest path forward, a ~12 grand car is probably not worth spending 6+ on cosmetics. Be a good first car for the kid when he finally decides to get a licence.

Alfa and Renault was the same, shallower and fewer dents than Japanese cars. The Mazda 3 parked next to the meg looks like tissue paper that’s been scrunched up...