What does your day look like?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Think I’m going to put glass and lights in the Megane though, and keep using it. It’s a commuter and taking the bike to the trails hack anyway, the smashed skin wont change that!

Alfa policy is new for old for the first two years. We’ve had it 2 years and 2 months... :(

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Anything hail damages won't contribute two hoots to the safety cell.
A lot of UHSS in A and C pillars these days - especially on hatches. It wont have much effect directly on the inner structure of the safety cell, but (from a technical point of view) would somewhat alter the way energy is absorbed (or not) before it is transferred into the cell.

Minor issue relatively though, my probably not clearly stated gripe was the substandard repairs of vehicles that are much more technically challenging to repair. If ever there was a trade that is largely deserving of @Haakon's "Fkn tradies!" wrath - smash repairers would surely be in the running!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Meh - people die in cars all the time, they are inherently unsafe...I doubt hail dent repairs will affect anything measurably.

Vote 1 for Arthur!

Haakon

Meh - people die in cars all the time, they are inherently unsafe...I doubt hail dent repairs will affect anything measurably.

Vote 1 for Arthur!

Well, like all things it may or may not be the deciding factor of whether an impact is survivable.

Ive seen those repair videos... They’re impressive, but illegal in most countries for a bunch of super good reasons.

Haakon

Bullshit that a hail damage repair is the difference between life & death.

People ride motorbikes. Case closed.
Don’t be obtuse, you know what I mean. The chance of that a pillar on my Megane folding is now higher - that may in an extreme crash be critical. Or not...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Don’t be obtuse, you know what I mean. The chance of that a pillar on my Megane folding is now higher - that may in an extreme crash be critical. Or not...
I'd say the chance of a Megane pillar folding is substantially higher due it it being built for a Megane

...I honestly can't see that having enough bearing on anything in an impact or a roll. I see what you're trying to say, but I just feel like a force significant enough to be fatal with a slightly compromised pillar, is still going to be fatal.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Haakon

I'd say the chance of a Megane pillar folding is substantially higher due it it being built for a Megane

...I honestly can't see that having enough bearing on anything in an impact or a roll. I see what you're trying to say, but I just feel like a force significant enough to be fatal with a slightly compromised pillar, is still going to be fatal.

Sigh. For the record it’s a five star car. In its day it was the safest car in its class by a fair margin. This and it’s bigger brother the Laguna 2 were the cars that changed the industry to focus on crash safety.

Haakon

Anyway, that A pillar damage would stop it passing a VIV check. Because of the structural weakening.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Sigh. For the record it’s a five star car. In its day it was the safest car in its class by a fair margin. This and it’s bigger brother the Laguna 2 were the cars that changed the industry to focus on crash safety.

Nerve!!
I'm poking fun, if you're going to drive the automobile equivalent of a handbag, expect Neanderthals like me to poke fun at it.

It might be safe, but the panels that are actually made of metal must be roughly 40% butter? Probably helps reduce occupant trauma with strategic crumpet or muffin Zones etc I guess. Still don't think a dent in a buttery pillar will make a big difference in a crash.

Haakon

Nerve!!
I'm poking fun, if you're going to drive the automobile equivalent of a handbag, expect Neanderthals like me to poke fun at it.

It might be safe, but the panels that are actually made of metal must be roughly 40% butter? Probably helps reduce occupant trauma with strategic crumpet or muffin Zones etc I guess. Still don't think a dent in a buttery pillar will make a big difference in a crash.

Panels that are not structural are lightweight (ie plastic front quarters), critical parts like pillars and fire walls etc are UHSS. Right materials for the right parts.

I’ll be happy enough to drive it as is...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I've been spending the second of what is likely to be a weeks worth of days trying to improve the wall of my son's bedroom.

The outside wall currently has 'panel gaps' in the weatherboards that would make a paddock basher feel like a Bentley. The inside wall was lined with compressed cement sheet. The frame is nicely made out of 75x50mm cypress but filled with nothing but air and a rat's nest.

It's not unlike living in a tent made of timber.

There's a new wall frame going up inside using 100x50mm cypress. The two old windows and one door (opening onto the tin roof of the back verandah) have been removed. They are being replaced with a new double glazed BAL29 timber rated window like the rest we had made for the house...

So many games and fun. Though the geckos aren't happy...