What does your day look like?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Well, the hard yakka in the courtyard is done now. Mini-skip got dropped off at 8am, filled it up in this morning, then got the skip picked up again at 1pm.

After that pic I added some gypsum, compost, and cow manure and turned it into the soil. I'll let it sit for a month or two so all the goodies can percolate down into the soil, then plant it out in spring.

Need to re-do the garden on the fence side too. It got knackered when the fence was done, and my appendix gave up the ghost on the same day so wasn't quite up to sorting it out at the time! :p

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Have started changing all the lights in the house to LED . Going with Arlec Grid Connect - can be controlled from a phone if you want - turn them on if your on your way home - change brightness etc. Office already had them - Changed the Garage lights from Fluro Battens to LED battens / porch light to LED sensor light - changed driveway security light to LED sensor too.
So much brighter and in a better color range feels softer on the eyes

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
WFH, 2010 iMac keeps getting the black screen of death which seemed to be thermal-related so today I bit the bullet and removed & replaced the CPU & GPU thermal paste:

Seems to be doing better now. And no screws left over!

BTW that's the kitchen in the "apartment" (the other building onsite) - I think we were the only people ever to choose that benchtop colour, I fkn love it.

stirk

Burner
WFH, 2010 iMac keeps getting the black screen of death which seemed to be thermal-related so today I bit the bullet and removed & replaced the CPU & GPU thermal paste:

View attachment 376746

BTW that's the kitchen in the "apartment" (the other building onsite) - I think we were the only people ever to choose that benchtop colour, I fkn love it.
Easier to find screws on lime green versus the more common greys people seem to love.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

View attachment 376746

Bit easier to get the screens off those ones. I have to pull the logic board on my 2015 to put a blade ssd in it and it slightly more involved…

Minlak

custom titis
Bit easier to get the screens off those ones. I have to pull the logic board on my 2015 to put a blade ssd in it and it slightly more involved…
It’s really not - just be careful around the camera area - and buy a mounting kit - rest is piss - you can even buy a plastic pizza wheel cutter for removing the screen if your worried

Also you could just run the ssd in the USB 3 port and target boot every time and not open it all or even better the thunderbolt port :)

Haakon

It’s really not - just be careful around the camera area - and buy a mounting kit - rest is piss - you can even buy a plastic pizza wheel cutter for removing the screen if your worried

Also you could just run the ssd in the USB 3 port and target boot every time and not open it all or even better the thunderbolt port :)
I’ve done it before, intimidating the first time. Just a pain needing new adhesive strips every time…

Minlak

custom titis
I’ve done it before, intimidating the first time. Just a pain needing new adhesive strips every time…
It is no faster to install it than to run it off Thunderbolt or USB 3 - Then just double side tape the drive to the back of the computer - In fact if computer has other issues you already have the hdd out of the computer then :)

Haakon

It is no faster to install it than to run it off Thunderbolt or USB 3 - Then just double side tape the drive to the back of the computer - In fact if computer has other issues you already have the hdd out of the computer then :)
That’s a bit hokey… And pretty slow compared to an ssd on the logic board.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Another day cranking out a shit tonne of slope stability analyses (thermal coal woo) and some underground hard rock design thrown in to the mix for some variety.

To the IT gurus - is there a simplistic way I can compare my current laptop's performance to the latest generation? I know there are heaps of variables, perhaps just CPU? Thinking about picking up a mobile workstation in the Black Friday sales and using my current workhorse as a backup laptop, but only if there is a decent performance gain to justify the hopefully less than $10k spend..........

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Another day cranking out a shit tonne of slope stability analyses (thermal coal woo) and some underground hard rock design thrown in to the mix for some variety.

To the IT gurus - is there a simplistic way I can compare my current laptop's performance to the latest generation? I know there are heaps of variables, perhaps just CPU? Thinking about picking up a mobile workstation in the Black Friday sales and using my current workhorse as a backup laptop, but only if there is a decent performance gain to justify the hopefully less than $10k spend..........
If you're running Windows, buy an AMD driven system. I quite like the new Lenovos if they're available yet.

Otherwise an M1 driven Mac is pretty on the ball for all round system performance for MacOS.

MasterOfReality

After forever
If you're running Windows, buy an AMD driven system. I quite like the new Lenovos if they're available yet.

Otherwise an M1 driven Mac is pretty on the ball for all round system performance for MacOS.
Yeah pretty much stuck with Windows. Use a lot of numerical modelling stuff, as well as 3d cad design for mining. Current laptop is a Lenovo X1 Extreme (i7-8850H @ 2.6GHz 6 core, 64GB ram, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti). Has handled all my stuff with no issues for the past 2 and a bit years. Previous laptops when working for mining companies were pretty much Xeon units with 64GB ram and Quadro cards, but I wasn't keen on spending that much when I first struck out by myself. Trying to figure out if the latest stuff is worth the extra spend in terms of performance gains....plus its a tax write off anyway but still.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Get anything with an AMD Ryzen Pro in it like a Thinkpad P14s. A AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U will pretty much smoke any current Intel cpu, Xeon included. The integrated graphics will be faster than a mobile Quadro as well.

If you must have the absolute fastest laptop going, Asus a releasing some ROG laptops with Ryzen 9 cpu and Gtx3080 graphics cards.

Be warned though, the USB implementation won't be as rock solid as Intel.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

MasterOfReality

After forever
Get anything with an AMD Ryzen Pro in it like a Thinkpad P14s. A AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U will pretty much smoke any current Intel cpu, Xeon included. The integrated graphics will be faster than a mobile Quadro as well.

If you must have the absolute fastest laptop going, Asus a releasing some ROG laptops with Ryzen 9 cpu and Gtx3080 graphics cards.

Be warned though, the USB implementation won't be as rock solid as Intel.

Just looking, the Ryzen stuff seems to be getting a pretty good wrap.

A colleague told me at his site they just used gaming rigs. Just wish they would tone down the flashy futuristic look they try to impart on them!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just looking, the Ryzen stuff seems to be getting a pretty good wrap.

A colleague told me at his site they just used gaming rigs. Just wish they would tone down the flashy futuristic look they try to impart on them!
That would be the Asus ROG laptops then. Sweet rigs.