Likes Dirt
Looking at Trek Fuel ex
Uncertain of size, I’m 178cm tall
I’m at the top of a med and bottom of large,
What is your advise and experiences
Gordo

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do you want the bike to be comfortable and spacious on long pedals? Or snug and manoeuvrable on descents?

mark22

Likes Dirt
I am about your height and had a Remedy in large which fitted well the Fuel is going to be a bit shorter in the wheelbase dept so I would think a large would still handle well

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It all depends on the seat tube length I reckon. I'm also 178 and always find myself between frame sizes. A longer reach is all nice and well but their is nothing worse than not being able to get your seat low enough.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Also depends on your body shape. I'm 178cm with short legs/long body/short arms.
I usually go a medium for the legs and look for something with a longer cockpit...
and/or slightly longer stem and slam the seat back.
- carpetrunner

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also depends on your body shape. I'm 178cm with short legs/long body/short arms.
I usually go a medium for the legs and look for something with a longer cockpit...
and/or slightly longer stem and slam the seat back.
- carpetrunner
I'm 178cm. Long upper legs, short torso. I waiver between the two - was on a large before but now on a medium with a bucketload of seatpost and much happier.
A number of shops have trek demos available so you should be able to get a pedal on both to see what you like, might not be the one shop but I know of at least 3 trek dealers in Brisbane with demos (unsure if they are free or not sorry)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
605 to 615 ETT is spot on for me at 178, average everything. 35mm stem preferred. Some will be medium, some large. Watch the seat angle too.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm 176cm and fit perfectly on every medium I've ever owned. Never wished I had got a bigger or smaller bike, got a mate who looks about the same height but reckons he's 178cm (prob because he has hair), also rides M's... but depends on your leg and arm length. If you are dino style with long legs and shorter arms, the M would be the bike with a long seatpost, flipside an urban thug style body would be better on a L with slammed seat.

ILU7QA2.jpg

Last edited:

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When are manufactures going to get the hint with seat tube lengths. Companies are making 200mm droppers now. Yet i cant upsize because the seattube is still based on 1800's geo

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I’m 175cm and ride an 18.5 Fuel EX. I test rode one for three days back to back with a 17.5 Remedy, which definitely felt too small for my liking. I have had also a very quick ride around a carpark on a (183cm tall) mate’s 19.5 and it felt too big, so I reckon mine is spot on.

However I have the seat pretty forward on the rails. Because the Fuel has such a short and slack ‘real’ seat tube the effective seat tube angle is highly dependent upon how high you have your seat. In reality the frame design is nothing like the image used in the specification charts:

Trek Specification chart.png
Trek-Fuel-EXs-compared.jpg

The actual seat tube is 66.2°, so whilst Trek's specification charts say all frame sizes have an effective seat tube of 74.7°, in reality that only happens for one specific seat height. Set the seat lower than this point (and I don't know where Trek defines it) and the effective seat tube angle will be steeper (ie on a biggish frame for your height the seat will be further forward). Set the seat higher (ie on a smallish frame for your height) and it will be slacker.

On the extensive Fuel EX threads on MTBR I have heard taller riders complaining that they can't get the seat far enough forward for climbing because they have too much seat tube exposed.

The short real seat tube also means there isn't much wiggle room. Mine came with a 125mm dropper, and I have set high enough that it could handle a 150mm dropper (which I think the bike I test rode had – it was one of the first of the Australian delivery 2017s, and the Bontrager dropper wasn't ready so it came with a Reverb). But there's almost certainly no way you could stick a 200mm dropper (or possibly even a 170mm dropper) because the seat tube simply isn't long enough.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also looking at these and went it to size a 19.5 fuel last week. I'm 5'10 with a 31.5 inseam, which makes the seattube a problem in most large bikes and reach too little in most mediums with a relatively long torso.
19.5 fit just right, albeit with the seatpost as low as it would go. the fuel has a slightly shorter seat tube than most so worked ok with the 150mm dropoer, and reach was good.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
179cm, rode a 19.5 fuel ex for a few laps one day and a 3hr race the next and found it too big. 18.5 definitely.

MRO

Likes Dirt
I am 180cm and ride a 19.5 Trek. I have alway gone medium bikes rather than the large. After riding the larger bike i find it more stable, easier to control and more comfortable - wont ride a bike on the smaller side again.