What Garmin watch features do I really need for fitness?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the Instinct for the last 18 months or so and felt it did everything I wanted on the bike (mainly distance, heart rate, elevation and auto upload to strava). Distance and elevation were very close to my bar mounted garmin that it replaced, heart rate seemed accurate most of the time.
I also use the navigation functions for hiking.

Just upgraded to the Instinct Solar and I'm loving the extra battery life. If you spend days away from a charger while using GPS I'd say the extra cost is well worth it

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Another vote for a watch - Forerunner 935 here but I just bought my partner a 245 for Christmas (can be had half price at the moment for $280 from lots of vendors) and it does all the same stuff. They're lightweight, comfortable, multi-sport and ANT+ sensor compatible, and well supported locally (a button on my 935 got sticky and stopped working two months out of warranty, Garmin replaced the watch no questions in under a week).

I've evangelised over the watches on here enough in the past but for the MTB they're excellent and in my experience they're much better than a bar-mounted Edge. I've broken two bar mounted Garmins in crashes on the MTB in the past (a 500 and a 510), and the reality is riding trails you just don't need the data in front of you like you do on the roadie (or XC bike if you're @Ackland ).

I've said it before I'll say it again:
If you're going slow enough that you can look down and read "current speed" without crashing, you probably don't want to see what it's telling you anyway

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I've evangelised over the watches on here enough in the past but for the MTB they're excellent and in my experience they're much better than a bar-mounted Edge. I've broken two bar mounted Garmins in crashes on the MTB in the past (a 500 and a 510), and the reality is riding trails you just don't need the data in front of you like you do on the roadie (or XC bike if you're @Ackland ).

I've said it before I'll say it again:
I feel victimised....
For a basic MTB mounted unit.. grab a monochrome screen bryton and leave the overpriced and flimsy garmins alone

You really only need your computer to do the recording, the displaying and data analysis is what you do later.
All of my cadence, power or HR work is done on a stationary trainer and I read it from a phone/tablet/phablet/laptop

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would say generally a gps watch is fine, I have both (and i run my edge 1030 on an out front mount!). I wouldn't have (and have had) just a watch for the roadie but for the mtb you dont need one, it can be handym especially if you want mapping i guess, but a watch can do waht you want without issues.

treble

Likes Dirt
I have been using both a Fenix 6 pro and an Instinct for a long while now. The instinct gets used during the week as its more durable and I'm less worried about breaking it at work (construction). The Fenix gets used when I’m not working and mostly handles all riding/training duties.

Just be aware, a lot of the features mentioned in the OP are only available on the flagship models (Fenix/forerunner) and not on the Instinct, particularly the V02 Max, FTP and Pulse ox.

If you are planning to do consistent bike or running training, features like the V02 Max, FTP, Training effect and Training status are quite useful. I do a bit of training on Zwift and, coupled with a power meter and a HR strap, the feedback the watch gives you is very good for tracking progression and pin-pointing gaps in training.
Running with the Fenix 6 pro is also great because it has Spotify and connects to Bluetooth earbuds, meaning you don’t need your phone with you.
I don’t really use these features on the mountain bike though. The way i see it, I train so I can MTB further and faster. So I generally leave all the stats and figures off and just enjoy the ride.
The navigation stuff is useful from time to time, used the trail forks plugin to find some trails in Queenstown a few years ago and didn’t get lost.

As mentioned above, DC Rainmaker on YouTube is a good resource for info on Garmin devices (although he is a very big Garmin fan)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I’m keen on a watch so that I can use it for running (and maybe swimming as well), and I’m not really that fussed on using mapping live, the GPS is really just for logging purposes. I could just buy a HR and speed sensor but I usually pack away my phone when riding so the convenience of it on my wrist appealed.

An Edge is an option I hadn’t given much thought to. I suppose that would cover me for the bike and I could pair sensors to the phone for running.
i recently bought a sigma id.free, has hr, crash detection -which can be a bummer if you go down a fast run then stp dead, it’s thinks you;ve crashed, i don’t have it setup to txt anyone, but you can setup 2 numbers for this..also does breadcrumb navigation if you upload from komoot, the hr measurements have ben more accurate than my fitbit ionic, but every now & then it reads low -eg when i should be q60, it reads 80 bpm for a short time . much cheaper than garmin alternatives, also has sensor support, eg power meter etc

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being a boomer - i use an apple watch with strava - gives me enough info as a 'powerfully built middle aged man ' to tell me I'm fat and slow

I need a watch that shouts at me .

" FFS , thats not training , work harder ya fat basssatard '

Minlak

custom titis
Ahh cheers, yeah I thought ashes may have found a 935 for the Instinct special of $299.
Yeah 935 is replaced by the 945 now so they will continue to pop up around the place cheaper - keep an eye on the usual places.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Was going to buy the 935 from Amazon on sale ($374) but then also noticed the Instinct price had dropped to $249. I have a decent everyday watch for the office so only really need one for activity tracking so was happy to save the $100+ for much the same tracking features.

Also up to extra 10$ or $15 off with certain promo codes (order through app / first order respectively)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Was going to buy the 935 from Amazon on sale ($374) but then also noticed the Instinct price had dropped to $249. I have a decent everyday watch for the office so only really need one for activity tracking so was happy to save the $100+ for much the same tracking features.

Also up to extra 10$ or $15 off with certain promo codes (order through app / first order respectively)

Ripper price. Very happy with mine

mtb1611

Seymour
I bought a Fenix 6S Pro when it was $250 off for the Boxing Day sales. I use it for road riding, mtb, on and off road running and weight training. Hence the decision to get a watch as opposed to a cycling-specific unit like the Edge. Whilst I'm no expert at breaking down the individual features and their accuracy like a couple of posters here (and please don't take that as sarcasm, as it's not, I really appreciate the insights) I must say I'm amazed at the amount of information the unit provides. I've been riding for 30 years now and running for longer and I'd never once used a HRM, so I find this aspect particularly interesting, as well as the VO2 max. As previously indicated I don't know exactly how accurate they are but the readings appear to be consistent and are reflective of the effort I put in and how I feel during and after workouts particularly when riding or running.

Overall really happy with it!

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Slight thread necro rather than starting a new one.
My Instinct Solar is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm thinking about upgrading.

The Instinct 2 Solar is $780, but I can get that for 15% through Bupa, which makes it $663
JB have the Fenix 6 Pro for $650 or the Sapphire glass version for $800
Given pretty much everything in the Fenix 7 is on the 6 through software updates minus some upgraded tech this is still decent value, and still $1150 on the Garmin site

I'm leaning towards a Fenix as I want to start exercising in my lunch break more (have started a C25K app to get me moving), and on the Fenix I can download music, meaning I can go phone-free for an hour, but the screens on the Fenix's aren't great and I like the clarity of the Instinct. I'd love an Epix but its sooo exxy.
Anyone got both and can halp?

ausdb

Being who he is
Slight thread necro rather than starting a new one.
My Instinct Solar is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm thinking about upgrading.

The Instinct 2 Solar is $780, but I can get that for 15% through Bupa, which makes it $663
JB have the Fenix 6 Pro for $650 or the Sapphire glass version for $800
Given pretty much everything in the Fenix 7 is on the 6 through software updates minus some upgraded tech this is still decent value, and still $1150 on the Garmin site

I'm leaning towards a Fenix as I want to start exercising in my lunch break more (have started a C25K app to get me moving), and on the Fenix I can download music, meaning I can go phone-free for an hour, but the screens on the Fenix's aren't great and I like the clarity of the Instinct. I'd love an Epix but its sooo exxy.
Anyone got both and can halp?
Dont have both but unfortunately you missed the sale a month back where everybody was selling Fenix 6x Pros for $599 :(