What Grease

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
Question for the bike / home mechanics, what is a good all round grease to have that will suit most MTB applications and where is the best place to source it from.

Cheers in advance

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Castrol Marine Grease. Its blue. Comes in a large-ish tub with a red lid for about $10. Perfect for nearly every bike application (headsets, threads, cranks etc) bar forks and hubs. You want a thinner grease (like Slick Honey or Prep M etc) for those.

Ive used the marine grease for ages and was curious as to what everyone else uses also...but you will find an overwhelming amount of people, including shops use it also because of its waterproof qualities etc.

EDIT: Available from most auto shops etc.

Last edited:

shiznik

Banned
Slick Honey is good for forks but (as Ango already pointed out) the blue shit is where its at for everything else.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I will 3rd Ango xc,i also use castrol marine and it is great stuff,i tried using all the weldtite stuff,it just went milky and dried out quick smart,went back to castrol marine and no problems again!

D.Norton

Likes Dirt
I use the marine grease at home and at work. It is used for the water repelling properties and its also quite sticky, so its not going to run off leaving your parts un protected from corrosion, rubbing etc...

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Castrol High velocity bearing grease or something like that.

Just a q: do you use grease or slick honey or hubs. I know that Angoxc mentioned but im just double checking ( i plan on pulling my hubs apart soon )

pozzi

Likes Dirt
ive alwaays wondered what this blue grease is. Found some in my headset and was a but confused cause i have this marine grease but its like a merky greeny brown colour and its quite thick actually. Im gonna try get my hands on some blue stuff now.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I use Weldtite teflon grease for most stuff, Weldtite lithium grease for bolts when I don't use loctite and Silicon spray for hubs. That pretty much covers everything.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
I use castrol htb (high tempreture baring grease) it works great. every month or two i will take all the barings out the hubs scrub it all down with petrol and the smutther it in grease and put it all back in, i also do the same with the head tube barings and the bottom bracket.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
I use castrol htb (high tempreture baring grease) it works great. every month or two i will take all the barings out the hubs scrub it all down with petrol and the smutther it in grease and put it all back in, i also do the same with the head tube barings and the bottom bracket.

you can get it from super cheep or any othe car shop for about $10

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been using this all purpose castrol grease. Its brown, could this ruin my bike (i think its for cars) or are some greases better than others?

dog boy

Likes Dirt
na it wont ruin your bike the only reason i use htb grease is because the shop was out of general purpose grease when i baught mine.
what are you using the grease for? if its just barings and pivit points it will be perfect for it.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Castrol Marine Grease. Its blue. Comes in a large-ish tub with a red lid for about $10. Perfect for nearly every bike application (headsets, threads, cranks etc) bar forks and hubs. You want a thinner grease (like Slick Honey or Prep M etc) for those.

Ive used the marine grease for ages and was curious as to what everyone else uses also...but you will find an overwhelming amount of people, including shops use it also because of its waterproof qualities etc.
4th'ed. Awesome grease. Awesome value.
5th'ed!!! It never seems to break down and it's a bargain. Used it for a while now and never have an issue with it. Will also take me years to use it all!

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slick Honey.

For all the applications of lubrication men need ;)
Care to tell the good burgers of the forum the price of a tub of slick honey?...

I use Maxima water proof (because i like thick gobs of grease). Belray waterproof is the best going. It's a bit thinner than marine so you can use it in your freehub and seals.

Rooster

Likes Bikes
Another for castrol marine grease.
I'm a marine mechanic apprentice and we use it on everything at work, it's pretty good. Another great grease is quiksilver 101 it's a bit thicker than the castrol stuff and more expensive but it's amazing.