What happened to good advice and service?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I strolled into a shop at random the other day and asked if they had any white cork bar tape.
The guy behind the counter said "What's that"?
I said "Bar tape"
He says "Yeah I know, what's cork"?
I reply "It's just a synthetic material that's soft and squishy. Do you have any"? (As I ask him this I am scanning behind the counter on the wall and I can see there is a pack of white SRAM Cork tape)
"Nah" he says "We just have the normal stuff"

I thank him and walk out. I ring my normal LBS and get told by a new staffer "Yeah man, we got some. In white".

I don't even know why I bother with any other LBS.
My local is always good, but every now and then I go into a different bike shop just because they have different stock and different brands and I ALWAYS get let down by the others.

Just recently I wanted to buy some Ritchey carbon bars and the guy at 'other' LBS says "Nah, you dn't want those. You want the 3T ergonova". Ummm, no. I don't. I want the Ritcheys.
He proceeds to tell me how much happier I would be with the 3T's without even asking me what I actually want in a set of bars.
Just so happens they had one 3T ergonova left on the shelf that they were tryng to get rid of. REally? FFS! Not actually caring at all about what the client wants and tryting to push old stock just to get your display cabinet up to date.

What these 'other' shops don't realise is that I am happy to throw down $300 on a set of bars just to see what they are like. I have spent about $3K in the last six months on bike parts and if they actually listened to me that would all be going into their shops.
I do buy online as well, but only when my store doesn't have the item in stock or there will be a long wait for a part.

My current LBS has never let me down. Bike Ride in Hobart. Go there and buy stuff.

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
There still are good shops out there. When you find one support them.
I get a 10 - 20 % discount from my LBS and its rare that its not equivalent to or better than online prices.
I still browse online to compare product specs price points etc but always buy from my lbs.

If you experience shit service let your wallet do the talking by purging its contents elsewhere.
By immediately turning to the online option you don't give the good guys a chance, but rather screw them as well.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
There still are good shops out there. When you find one support them.
I get a 10 - 20 % discount from my LBS and its rare that its not equivalent to or better than online prices.
I still browse online to compare product specs price points etc but always buy from my lbs.

If you experience shit service let your wallet do the talking by purging its contents elsewhere.
By immediately turning to the online option you don't give the good guys a chance, but rather screw them as well.
Im with you Hugor - i get great discounts from my LBS because I spend all my money there. Even if I buy a secondhand bike or frame- I still get all my gear through the shop. Its amazing what happens when you are polite, respectful, dont waste peoples time and loyal. i have recently started going to another shop - its closer and they are great too.

Snit

Likes Bikes
I don't really consider my online purchase as screwing over a bike shop. Bike shops are a business and they want to make as much money out of us as they can. And if online shopping did not exist, these same bike shops would have a monopoly on the market, prices would sky rocket and guess who would be getting screwed? Yes, you, me and every other rider out there. Sorry mate, bike shops will get no sympathy from me. If a bike shop can offer me good service and value for money, I'll use them, if not (which is most of the time), online it is without any guilt what so ever.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Big JD;2715291 Its amazing what happens when you are polite said:
A lesson many bike shops could do with learning aswell. How many times are you supposed to get stuffed around by how many shops before you are morally sound to go the online route? If it's an easier option to go on line than to find a decent store then that raises some questions, like are bike stores really that ignorant to consumers plights, or do they just not care? And if they honestly believe they have something to offer why aren't they getting the message out there? Consumers have the right to spend however and wherever they like. They are the market. If a supplier of parts or service can't service the market, they are unviable. I and most I know are stoked when we find a good store with good people who know their craft, and are happy to drop a bit extra to support local. I dot see why someone should have to turn every stone to desperatelysearch out a decent store, especially when there's many good options staring them in the face whilst , for example, typing this. Become a market player or don't, but don't blame the market. That's like blaming the hill because you're too shit to ride the trails on it.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I reply "It's just a synthetic material that's soft and squishy. Do you have any"? (As I ask him this I am scanning behind the counter on the wall and I can see there is a pack of white SRAM Cork tape)
Not to detract too much from the thrust of the post, but, cork is the bark from the Cork (Oak) tree. It 'aint synthetic.

What is, is how some modern bar tape is made of a mixture of cork and a synthetic called EVA to produce a comfortable bar tape (invented by Cinelli?).

There are completely synthetic ( all EVA foam) tapes as well that in my opinion and experience are inferior to the cork blends. Maybe they are what he calls "normal" tapes.

As for getting prices similar to online from a preferred and supported LBS. That hasn't been my experience, ever.

Having said that I have and do often purchase from a supportive LBS because they did indeed provide advice/info of value to me.

Last edited:

Monks

Likes Dirt
Ever since I got back into cycling 10 years ago, I've been trawling the websites and forums for bargains and also talking and buying from shops where i needed help. When I need expertise I go to the shops ask questions of the staff and mechanics, (and normally buy from them), if it's something I can get knowing exactly what I need and get it for a cheaper price, without having to as for help, then yes, of course I'll buy where ever is cheaper (always online). I even do spreadsheets to find and compare. i know my limitations when it comes to what I can and can't do with and without a good LBS and mechanic.

I've found at least 4 great bike shops/mechanics within a 10km radius, and I wont share them with anyone here. I've done the hard yards talking and conversing, building the relationship, and that's my benefit, just like others have said, it's a 2 way street, you get what you put in. You can't just expect to get amazing service/prices without shopping/asking around, regardless of online or physical. Unfortunately physical takes more effort, which in most cases people just aren't willing to do.

A lot of the shops mentioned here are very good. I'd say you/your mate talk to them, learn more, and go from there.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
A lesson many bike shops could do with learning aswell. How many times are you supposed to get stuffed around by how many shops before you are morally sound to go the online route? If it's an easier option to go on line than to find a decent store then that raises some questions, like are bike stores really that ignorant to consumers plights, or do they just not care? And if they honestly believe they have something to offer why aren't they getting the message out there? Consumers have the right to spend however and wherever they like. They are the market. If a supplier of parts or service can't service the market, they are unviable. I and most I know are stoked when we find a good store with good people who know their craft, and are happy to drop a bit extra to support local. I dot see why someone should have to turn every stone to desperatelysearch out a decent store, especially when there's many good options staring them in the face whilst , for example, typing this. Become a market player or don't, but don't blame the market. That's like blaming the hill because you're too shit to ride the trails on it.
Dunndog - I just dont get the bad service that your talking about. Thats aint to say I have never got crap service from a bike shop. Maybe i have just struck it lucky. If you want a few good contacts mate - let me know, will put you in touch with great service (the discounts are you to you).

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I strolled into a shop at random the other day and asked if they had any white cork bar tape.
The guy behind the counter said "What's that"?
I said "Bar tape"

I thank him and walk out. I ring my normal LBS and get told by a new staffer "Yeah man, we got some. In white".

I don't even know why I bother with any other LBS.
My local is always good, but every now and then I go into a different bike shop just because they have different stock and different brands and I ALWAYS get let down by the others.

Just recently I wanted to buy some Ritchey carbon bars and the guy at 'other' LBS says "Nah, you dn't want those. You want the 3T ergonova". Ummm, no. I don't. I want the Ritcheys.
He proceeds to tell me how much happier I would be with the 3T's without even asking me what I actually want in a set of bars.
Just so happens they had one 3T ergonova left on the shelf that they were tryng to get rid of. REally? FFS! Not actually caring at all about what the client wants and tryting to push old stock just to get your display cabinet up to date.

What these 'other' shops don't realise is that I am happy to throw down $300 on a set of bars just to see what they are like. I have spent about $3K in the last six months on bike parts and if they actually listened to me that would all be going into their shops.
I do buy online as well, but only when my store doesn't have the item in stock or there will be a long wait for a part.

My current LBS has never let me down. Bike Ride in Hobart. Go there and buy stuff.
should have got the 3T buddy

dunndog

Eats Squid
Dunndog - I just dont get the bad service that your talking about. Thats aint to say I have never got crap service from a bike shop. Maybe i have just struck it lucky. If you want a few good contacts mate - let me know, will put you in touch with great service (the discounts are you to you).
I've had some shockers mate, it could be a symptom of wanting more dh specific stuff, I don't know. But bad service and advice will quash any further business before I let them loose on my rig or order any parts. It's been good as far as forcing me to learn more and work on my bikes myself
so it's not all bad, and I have found a number of great mechanics in my time who have sadly moved on and left a big hole.
Thanks for the hot tips offer, as I've said earlier backing up another post, I'm more than happy with the service and workmanship at mymountain and am more than happy to spruik their wares. If I'm ever in need mate I'll hit you up for some good advice. Cheers!:high5:

Best Service.

I've been to a lot of bike shops in the Brisbane area to get information and subjective advice on Downhill bikes, jump bikes etc and a lot of the people I have spoken to are from some other planet.
Then I went to Ipswich bike hub and met Sash (owner) Stuey (mechanic). These guys know their stuff and don't try and load you up with super expensive gear. All the guys in the shop ride and race and gave great advice on how to get started. I have now purchased 7 bikes from them in two years and I am extremely happy with their after sales service and their advise. They stock just about everything you would need for bike riding.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The bike Industry Isnt really controlled though so they can hire newbies with no knowdge to do work because they are cheap.

Equally though for me what stands out are those who actually have the effort.
If you don't know, ask someone, if you don't have any fine out if you can get it in.
So many stores just seem to be so lazy and if it takes any extra effort on thier part thy just don't bother, iv been into stores where ther were multiple employees sitting down having a coffee talking while I patiently waited at the counter only to have someone from the mechanic area come serve me.

There are many great stores tbsm been one close to me but others are just shocking. You can't complain about OS markets and online shops and customers not been loyal if you give us no reason to shop there or come back. The only bad experience iv really had was as a newbie I got sucked into the sales pitch and eneded up with a freeride bike not a downhill bike.

They took advantage of the whole I still want to be able to ride it around to trails. However it was heavier and harder to pedal than a dh bike anyway. Though it served me well so can't complain too much but it was clear I was used for sales rather than what I really needed. Upgrades to x-0 and juicy 7 over 5 really didn't need that at all, I also got better bars which were pricey and not needed.

A good sales person would have known I didn't need the bars better brakes or x-0 gear, I also got a tld d2 which I dont regret its awesome so can't really complain although I'm fairly certain they said it was a new model and it was actually a few years old.....no idea.

But hey I don't shop thier anymore if I can avoid it.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
As for getting prices similar to online from a preferred and supported LBS. That hasn't been my experience, ever.
For roadie stuff try BikeBug in North Sydney - their prices are BETTER in many cases than OS online. To beat OS pricing may have to order online and collect instore though - thats what I do, no idea what their pricing is like in-store.

Online Australian shop CyclingExpress often beats OS online stores. But can be limited products.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I've done the hard yards talking and conversing, building the relationship, and that's my benefit, just like others have said, it's a 2 way street, you get what you put in.
I want my bike fixed, not a fucking blow job. It isn't a two way fucking street and it has two parts of fuck all to do with relationships. If a bike shop is only going to provide decent service to dweebs who hang out in their shop sucking dick then they can fuck off!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Hahaha, yeah, I feel the same way.

It's not some kind of relationship, I mean do you build the same kind of lovey dovey crap with Woolworths, McDonalds and JB HiFi? lol!

It's a market, mate. IF they want your money they need to earn it by being better than the next person, you don't owe them anything - it is NOT a two way street. If the shop isn't as good as another or online, I don't give them my money or keep shopping there in hope that things will improve, I go where I'm going to get the best experience for the money I'm spending.

JD, I think you may be somewhat lucky. I used to frequent a shop not far from Syd Uni a few years back, bought bikes there, heaps of parts, compnents and servicing. They were slow, the owner was a bit of a prick but the guy in the workshop was always willing to help me out and that was enough to keep going there for a few years. That bloke left and a new bloke came in. One day I had a flat and had no tube or tools on me, dropped in the shop to see if I could have a tube chucked in (they weren't busy) and I was charged full price for the tube and full service fee..., after spending the better part of $10k in that shop over 3 years. Of course I never stepped foot in there again.

Being loyal and showing respect is most definitely NOT a sure fire way of getting anything in return from a bike shop. Not in the least.

On a positive note, Monkey Wrench in HAckett and Bike Culture in Belconnen, ACT have done me pretty well so far and I recommend them to everyone. For the Riders are golden, have been for years and I suspect they will be for years more. Good heads for business and just simply nice blokes. As I said in another thread, I usually get better service, faster turnaround and wider selection online than at a shop, why would I go elsewhere?!

driftking

Wheel size expert
We have no obligation to the store if you want cheap stuff and discounts RS build a relationship but that does not excuse them from providing good service for everyone paying retail and not getting thier little loyalty benefits. They are a service to serve us not the other way around. Its upto them to run thier business right not up to compromise on out expectations from a store.

I think the overall friendliness and attitude of bike shops and their staff has changed over recent years.
I go to my local shop frequently, I've spent over 1k in the last few months on accesories and parts which i COULD have bought online for less, but I appreciate being able to get the parts immediately (tubes, tyres, components).

About 10 weeks ago I ordered $500 worth of rims, unfortunately they still havent arrived (I needed them for a build), so I bought another pair online. Which ofcourse arrived within a week or two.

^ I think this is part of the problem. Not only is it cheaper, AND easier to buy online (sitting on your sofa), but the parts generally arrive faster too.
I understand this isnt the shops fault, but slow distributors OS. Still damned frustrating.

I had a dissapointing experince this week, I needed a hanger for my Lapierre. I found it in stock, in brisbane, at Advance traders. Tops, I can go for a ride this weekend. Advance traders wont sell direct to me (F*CKING annoying). So I call my Local.

Get a call back saying they dont deal with advance traders. I said 'cant you make an exception?', seeing as I was familiar with the owner I was talking to on the phone. "No, we work on some principals blah, you'll have to go to another shop". I thought that was bloody ridiculous.

Obviously there has been some kind of falling out, and the fools cant swallow their pride. Just damned annoying. Very much put off.

Placed a nice CRC order and now I feel much better :thumb:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I had a dissapointing experince this week, I needed a hanger for my Lapierre. I found it in stock, in brisbane, at Advance traders. Tops, I can go for a ride this weekend. Advance traders wont sell direct to me (F*CKING annoying).
It's standard practice, and not just within the cycling industry. Try going to the Holden factory to buy a car.... they'll just tell you to go to your local dealer to buy it.

So I call my Local.

Get a call back saying they dont deal with advance traders. I said 'cant you make an exception?', seeing as I was familiar with the owner I was talking to on the phone. "No, we work on some principals blah, you'll have to go to another shop". I thought that was bloody ridiculous.
Not necessarily the shop's fault on that one. I don't know if this applies to Advance or not, but some wholesalers will not sell to shops who are not a dealer for them. So the response you got, "we don't deal with them" may be short for, "we don't deal with them, so they won't allow us to buy it from them". As an "insider", it is something I've come across before.