What happens to old DH bikes?

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now that is a work of ART, SON!!! Thanks for a beaut pic!

Goes to show you that soooo many other brands out there are only in the game due to pioneers like this!!!!! Genuine Horst link 4bar, that spawned so many imitators over the years trying to emmulate it's perfomance.

It may not be state of the art today, although it still works as good as anything else, but it is responsible for so much of what everyone here enjoys.

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
OH MY GOD!
That is my mates old bike. That just has taken me for a major trip down memory lane!
The RST's were actually quite popular in the day. Pretty affordable and they worked pretty well.
I've got a review of them kicking about in a mag somewhere... should dig it out.

Has anyone got a copy of the AMB 'urban downhill' issue from a few years back?
I never actually read that article...

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
seeing as you live in Hobart mate, go check out tassie cycles in Newtown. there is mint looking foes from about 96 - 97 it's an LTS similar to the one below. Pure DH racing from the Mid 90's.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/200485/

i don't know if it's for sale or not.could be just somthing similar to what your trying to do. as it was just hanging on the wall when i saw it a month or two ago. i have only seen it once.

Nebuchernezzer

Likes Dirt
How many years back?
I have a fair few issues of Dirt and AMB from about 1997-2000 so i could check 'em out if you like.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah its Chris's bike. I was the Marshall in the sombrero who was chatting to you at the Nationals just above the cliff drop for a while.

Forks are still going pretty well, as is most of the rest of the bike. there are a few issues but its still rideable.
Yeeehaw! The green machine lives. That's so cool and old school.

Just be aware that bike has a habit of randomly launching it's pilot into the scenery, or maybe that's just Chris' riding. :p

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the leads guys, I'll follow some of them up in the next few days when I can find the time.

Personally I'm not one who likes to see complete bikes stripped of their parts so it would be nice for bikes like the green machine to stay together and some of the history preserved.

I'll keep you all posted on progress, but its likely to be slow as a few other bike projects have priority at the moment. :)

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I got an old ATX DH 2 that's getting built. Slow going though, but it'll have a mix of old and new when it's done.

Should be a fun bike.

Rik

logged out
I never actually read that article...
By "article" you mean "fabricated pile of shit passed off as a story"? ;) Yes, I still have it... along with most AMBs from 97ish to 01ish. I've always wanted to do a "back in time" review of each year by judging what was most popular in the magazines of the time, but I don't want to give AMB too much credit due to what it's like these days :rolleyes: (maybe the urban DH article was a trend-setter for their stories to come)

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My bike is 10 and still going strong.

Dcrofty, I want those link plates, I've been looking for new links forever.
Xmetal, your bike is still just a youngster, being from '01.

One local has a GT Lobo Dh with 6" red boxxers (151's?) that he's recently retired... (but they aren't that old)

Attachments

Last edited:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i tell you what, my sisters other half was raceign dh back then, hes stil got a couple bikes lieing around, il see if i can havea look soon see whats on it, hes not one for keeping things when theres something flash he could replace it with, could be an easy buy.

from memory his dh forks were sc forks, cant remeber for the life of me what though.:p
Thanks Roxy, even if it comes to nothing, I'm still interested in seeing what people have held onto.

I know of a few bikes in very good order which date from the early to mid 90s (they gradually become more DH specific), but there seems to be a real void in the years 98 - 00.

If it all comes to nothing I could alway put some modern parts on it - new SC fork, brakes and they'd probably perform better too, but it would be nice to have a period piece as well.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
old skool gt

I bought a 95 or 96 GT lts boomerang frame late last year from the for sale pages of this site. It was stripped of all its stickers and two of the nylon bushes (no bearingss here!) are a little bit hows your father. I made a up a rear disc mount and had it tig welded on at a local 4wd place so i could run some old hope C2 discs. I got a set of RST XXL's for 90 bucks off a mate (they piss oil from the right leg but they sure look hot!) I've ridden it a handfull of times DH and actually done a 10km xc ride on it! it mainly leaves the garage for slow street rides with the GF. I've polished it all up and have U.S. mag from 96 that has a big article on mike king, "young gun" nicolas voillois and jim busby who designed the bike. Its got a couple of pictures of nico's with judy yellow stickering. thats my next upgrade!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yeeehaw! The green machine lives. That's so cool and old school.

Just be aware that bike has a habit of randomly launching it's pilot into the scenery, or maybe that's just Chris' riding. :p
I'm willing to blame the bike. It punted me over the handlebars and messed me up pretty badly the first time I ever rode it. Must have been the bike.

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
If anyone has vol.2 of DIRT magazine issue. 22 check out page 30, theres an old
Pace RC-500 F1. Sweet old Dh ride. Seems pretty rare as I cant even find a picture on the net.

Jarrad

Edit: original post didnt say what mag!

Last edited:

dhd

Downhill Direct
I thought you typed 'Christ's' bike!

Would have made more sense, as DHD prob grew up with him.......;)
ouch! damn that hurt!

Dcrofty, I want those link plates, I've been looking for new links forever.

We sold heaps of those linkage plates and I still get the odd call from people looking for them. They were a great upgrade that worked so well......(Bill wanders off and gets all misty eyed remembering the good ol days of racing DH on death traps.........)

Last edited:

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ouch! damn that hurt!

We sold heaps of those linkage plates and I still get the odd call from people looking for them. They were a great upgrade that worked so well......(Bill wanders off and gets all misty eyed remembering the good ol days of racing DH on death traps.........)
....remember that National round at eewokville, where you smoked everyone on that 3 speed cyclops racer?! You were on fire dude. And the mullet....oh, they were the days!

starship303

Likes Dirt
ol' skool fiend

Loving some of these posted bikes (especially that Foes...man how i lusted over those back in the day). Top idea of building a period DH machine as accurately as possible too. I know of a few people on this and other sites that have attempted such builds, and it isn't easy at the best of times so good luck.

I remember having most AMB issues from 1996-1999 (hey, back then it was the only dedicated local MTB mag), along with many random MBUK issues but i stupidly put them in my parents garage sale a few years ago. Someone ended up buying most of them, though there were a few left over (in storage somewhere i think...will have to dig them out for a chuckle one day).

Anyway for those ol' skool lovers, i found the below page with heaps of MTB company catalogues from 1988-2001...not every name is there, but its still a fairly extensive list none the less...
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/

Cheers,

BTW, here is my current trail bike which gets ridden hard as often as possible. Still going strong and performing incredible considering its design age...not quite DH, though in their day (back in the mid 90's) they did win many a DH race.

"Taz" (late Santa Cruz Tazmon ['97 or '98] with Risse Racing Astro-5 shock & '01 Marz Bombers)... Keep the oldies going! :)

Last edited: