What has happened to the Used market?

benwilson1

Likes Dirt
Been out of the game for around 10 years.
Trying to find a cheap used bike seems almost impossible. Even the for sale section here is empty.

where’s all the old Norco Atomik/A Line. Big Hit with 24” rear?

are people just holding onto bikes longer, I am confused.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
cough up the big bucks..Covid has decimated the used market, and as a flow on there is not much around to be had for a bargain.
there out there, but you have to do the leg work
good luck young jedi!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
As far as I can tell, when COVID hit, gyms shut and there was a run on bikes and weights, amongst other things. Supply dried up for new bikes and people turned to used bikes. That drove prices up, which attracted profiteering types. The bikes being flipped for profit sold quickly and now every man and his dog believes a 15 year old 26" hardtail is worth $1k.

Same thing happened in the VW scene years ago when a Kombi was valued by Shannons at $220k. Suddenly even rust buckrts were worth more.

moorey

call me Mia
Trying to find a cheap used bike seems almost impossible. Even the for sale section here is empty.

You missed @dazz ’s tidy big hit with 24” rear by 2 days. :(

Staunch

Eats Squid
I saw some bloke trying to sell a 2009 Norco Atomik for ~$1600. That's the same price I paid for mine 2008 second hand Norco A-line in 2008. It's just getting out of hand.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Trying to find a cheap used bike seems almost impossible.
Yep covid run. Shops are out of new bikes, folks with a shed full of bikes (like me) consolidated and sold a few, but mostly it's hoards of folks who never knew cycling suddenly taking it up. It's not end of the world though, you should see how much folks want for concrete weights! Also in short supply is bicycle trainers.

Stuff that the market has tanked includes photography gear (no more holidays lol) and toilet paper is back always on sale because folks have like 2 years supply in their house.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Stuff that the market has tanked includes photography gear (no more holidays lol) and toilet paper is back always on sale because folks have like 2 years supply in their house.
What else do we reckon has tanked? Snow gear might be one, I guess? Especially coming into our summer. Glow sticks?

We should make a list of what to buy right now, seeing as used bikes are too hot to handle

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Scrap metal market was too strong.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
We should make a list of what to buy right now
Yeah that's actually a solid idea.

Surprisingly camping stuff has gone nuts despite half of Vic not being able to camp. I guess everyone is stocking up for when we get freedoms again.

Petrol is still stupidly cheap, so might be time to repurpose that rainwater tank.

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought of that and need a lense or two.
There is a regular I see on my daily walk with bubs. She is lugging full Canon (yeah yeah I know it's all sony now lols) L series bag and all and does it day in day out. Must be struggling bad lol.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Anyone want to hazard what a low mileage XL 2019 Banshee Rune V2, DVO Diamond and Topaz, Stans Flow ex ztr laced to Hope Pro 2 evo, 1x10 xt, would be worth?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bikes will not devalue until work places get back to full swing, people have nothing better to do.

Anyone want to hazard what a low mileage XL 2019 Banshee Rune V2, DVO Diamond and Topaz, Stans Flow ex ztr laced to Hope Pro 2 evo, 1x10 xt, would be worth?

What ever you can get for it, unless you're selling to someone you know. If you sell it too cheap some scalper will only get it and resell again.

Last edited:

Oddjob

What ever you can get for it, unless you're selling to someone you know. If you sell it too cheap some scalper will only get it and resell again.
That's the problem. I've got no idea about that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What is the height range on the xl? If it too narrow your market will be pretty tight. But also a lot of you lanky pricks don't have many options.

Oddjob

What is the height range on the xl? If it too narrow your market will be pretty tight. But also a lot of you lanky pricks don't have many options.
Umm 5'10" plus I would guess. The reach is 490mm so it's not crazy long.