What have I done? Advice needed for fork decision

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the X-Fusion Trace & Sweep forks, they were huge fun and great value. I ran the Roughcut HLR models in each, only problem was the bladders going fairly quickly.

I'm now running a Cane Creek Helm and am very impressed with it I must say. Better that the X-Fusions in performance, we'll see how reliability goes.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Mattoc from CRC might be worth a try. They can be had for a good price and they seem to be well liked.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Shit yeah Andy!!! Nice work matey :D The HD4 is awesome, and you'll love it :D

So, give you need a new wheelset, go boost, it will be around for a while. You know me mate, I held out for soooooo long, but only 2 bikes aren't bost anymore - my old 26" DH Bike, and Mel's HT trekker... It's here to stay.

And I reckon as much as you'll love the factory, have you got the dedication to dial it in? The performance is a good fork, and you can split the difference by getting a tune on it :)

Mate, I need to get up there and ride the hill again. Been too long!
Hey Gab - long time no see mate :)
I did a bit of research and you're right - too many dials and the Grip damper on the cheaper fork seems excellent
Plus I'll have my hands full dialing in the X2 shock - I think that will require another thread :p

Spoke to Greg from TWE and I can get an excellent quality (not carbon) boost wheelset stronger than flow ex with good hubs (just a bit heavier) for around $750 - I reckon that's good enough for me

Hey, while I've got you - I can only find a cheapy ebay seat post shim 30.9 to 31.6 - can't find the cane creek one anywhere
I really want to keep my KS Lev which I love to bits - you (or anyone else) ever had any experience with seat post shims
It's pointless to keep my dropper if the shim moves around

DeBloot

Feeling old
My issue with Fox from about 2014 is you can get a set with creaky stanchions, I have 2 sets of Factory forks that I bought secondhand and there's no warranty. They will replace the uppers on first owner forks.
The creak gives me the shits... I've done the wicking loctite a few times but it still comes back.
Shit, you're a bastard for reminding me of that :p
I had a set that did that - drove me spare.
I complained online and (I think) Simon G when he worked for fox said he would fix them which he did

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Shit, you're a bastard for reminding me of that :p
I had a set that did that - drove me spare.
It hasn't gone away either, a mate if mine returned a 2018 fork and they replaced it with a Kashima crown. I'm wary of buying any secondhand Fox fork... always ask the seller the question if you do.

Pretty crappy for a $$$ premium suspension fork.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hey, while I've got you - I can only find a cheapy ebay seat post shim 30.9 to 31.6 - can't find the cane creek one anywhere
I really want to keep my KS Lev which I love to bits - you (or anyone else) ever had any experience with seat post shims
Hmmm, geez now you're testing the memory. I currently run a 31.6-30.9 shim on a bike I've got, but buggered if I can remember where I got it... Probably CRC or something I think.

Pushy's & MTB Direct do have them listed, but as out of stock... Might be worth giving them a shout to find out their ETA?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the X-Fusion Trace & Sweep forks, they were huge fun and great value. I ran the Roughcut HLR models in each, only problem was the bladders going fairly quickly
How would you describe your level of riding, and how long did you get out of the bladders before they failed ?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
How would you describe your level of riding, and how long did you get out of the bladders before they failed ?
Cleverly.
Zaf has got it bang on :D

Seriously though, I'm no wordsmith without plenty of beer beforehand, and being at work they might frown upon it.

I ride in Sydney's North and Northern Beaches areas predominantly, so steep, rough and techy are the trails I usually go for. I like to think I'm fairly competent, but there are plenty of people faster than me. I also like to twiddle dials, hence the HLR versions over the RL2.

Got 6 - 9 months on each fork before failure. Granted the replacements didn't go in about that same time, so I may have just got a bad two. And I will say that the warranty service was quick and painless - well, other than having the bike out of action, but that's why we have N+1 right? ;)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Zero issues with shims and droppers that I've experienced. Just get the longest shim you can... I have even used a Coke can before as an emergency shim and it was all good! It was either that or not ride.... :)

DeBloot

Feeling old
I can only find a Fouriers shim on ebay that fits. It's 90mm long. Should be better than a coke can I hope :)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
You'll be right with that. I just installed one on a mates bike with dropper and all good!

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I had a good run with a cut up beer can. It works and after people see it they never ask you to help them with maintaining their bike!