What is a good one bike solution?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'm surprised too. It feels heavier but the scale I use has been accurate at 5kg and 10kg using buckets of 5L and 10L of water.

The wheels and tyres probably have a lot to do with it. I'm probably running a lot less "tyre" than the norm with a 2.35 Nobby Nic up front and 2.25 Racing Ralph on the rear. They are both around 650g in 26".

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The Bronson keeps making me smile. A newer one would be even smilier. It weighs about 12.5kg, I haven't put it on an accurate scale. I really thought 160/150 travel would be a bit beastly for climbing but it's been really good all round.

I'd be keen to try the new Fuel EX with 34's and in 29er, I'd say it'd be out of sight compared to the 2015 27.5 one I had.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be keen to try the new Fuel EX with 34's and in 29er, I'd say it'd be out of sight compared to the 2015 27.5 one I had.
I haven't ridden any older versions but swapping the fork on my 2019 Fuel X for a 36mm/140mm made a good thing betterer

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I haven't ridden any older versions but swapping the fork on my 2019 Fuel X for a 36mm/140mm made a good thing betterer
The old one always felt like the back end was way more capable than the front. It looks like they have the full floater back, didn't it go away for a bit?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The new Orbea Occam would be about where I'd aim for a one-bike quiver.
There's plenty of similar bikes around, but it's unique and probably quite rare.

YT Jeffsy, Kona Process 134 (About to drop), Meta TR, Norco Sight - In my opinion the sweet spot is around the 130-140mm travel and 29"

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
29” Stumpjumper in 140mm travel was pretty sweet riding up down and around Noosa the other week... liked it much more than the trance I demoed the week before...

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might be slightly too beefy, but the Canyon Strive IMO pretty much fits the bill as a one bike solution. I recently got rid of my 2016 model to try something new, but it was plenty of fun as a trail bike, and with the improved Shapeshifter on the newer models I'd say it would be even better now.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Should 27.5 just retire now? Seems to have died completely on trail bikes, while 29 creeps into everything else except dirt jumping.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Marin alpine trail 8. Sub 4k. Reviews are solid. Plenty of areas to save weight. Buy one and if it sucks chode send it back in 14 days.

Seriously thinking of buying one just for the parts spec...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
To be fair, 27.5 hasn’t hit dj yet either.
I'd imagine all the bike spinning stuff would have to be harder.

The wheel size thing is making me think about my mate Dave when he wants to upgrade because he will be wanting an all rounder, he's just going to have to try both.

That Marin looks like a great contender on a budget.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

The wheel size thing is making me think about my mate Dave when he wants to upgrade because he will be wanting an all rounder, he's just going to have to try both.

Dave is about my size isn't he? He can have a go on the focus and the canyon if he likes that way he can get a feel for both wheel sizes and different styles of bike to see what he likes.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

I’m loathe to admit this, but the last two 29ers I rode were both more nimble and easier to get up to speed than my spitfire. Partly due to spec and weight, but geo certainly had alot to do with it.
Ibis ripmo and ripley.

My scout and spitfire are awesome bikes, but you can get 29’s that are just as fun and easy to flick around.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Dave is about my size isn't he? He can have a go on the focus and the canyon if he likes that way he can get a feel for both wheel sizes and different styles of bike to see what he likes.
Yeah that would be great as he's similar height, and he can ride Rohan's 26 and hire a 27.5 from Stromlo. He's yet to ride a full suspension bike so it's a clean slate.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah that would be great as he's similar height, and he can ride Rohan's 26 and hire a 27.5 from Stromlo. He's yet to ride a full suspension bike so it's a clean slate.
Maybe soon we can go for a spin at Stromlo and I'll bring both bikes and he can do a lap on each to see what he likes the feel of.