what is the riding like in the Katoomba area?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Cool, we might be able to catch up. My 5 weeks worth of work are at Katoomba emergency haha. Thanks for the info though. Unfortunately I wont be around on weekends as I will be travelling home to see the family.
Well if we do catch up I'll expect a reduction on my waiting time :p

stirk

Burner
Grave dig.

I have 5 weeks worth of work coming up at Katoomba. Some days I'll be on afternoon shifts which means I won't be starting until 2pm, so I'm keen to throw the bike in and go for some morning rides.

Any good rides close to Katoomba that I could knock over in a couple hours? So far I can see Narrowneck at Katoomba is a good option and so is Hanging Rock at Blackheath. I'd love to do the Oaks as well but worried I won't have enough time!
Do you like single tracks or firetrail?

If you start work at 2pm you'll have loads of time to explore the lower mountains also. Knapsack at Glenbrook is fun and has some big dirt jumps and a knargly downhill track if you're able, I highly recommend a trip here. Oaks is ok only saved by the single track section at the end. Long angle is a blast in the right conditions. Winmalee springwood and Shaw's ridge and bees nest hill are my local go to fire trail. Some other spots I'd pm you rather than advertise, likely unfortunately on Strava anyway as people don't think that some places should be kept low key.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Do you like single tracks or firetrail?

If you start work at 2pm you'll have loads of time to explore the lower mountains also. Knapsack at Glenbrook is fun and has some big dirt jumps and a knargly downhill track if you're able, I highly recommend a trip here. Oaks is ok only saved by the single track section at the end. Long angle is a blast in the right conditions. Winmalee springwood and Shaw's ridge and bees nest hill are my local go to fire trail. Some other spots I'd pm you rather than advertise, likely unfortunately on Strava anyway as people don't think that some places should be kept low key.
I much prefer single track however am keen just to do some fire trails as I can't afford to hurt myself or get lost during my time there. Long story short, I will be on a Uni nursing placement and if I injure myself and cant work I will fail which will add another 12 months to my degree. Similary, if I get lost and am late for work I can also be failed.

I'll be checking out the fire tracks you mentioned though, cheers. I'm keen for Narrowneck as I feel it must be a rewarding view at the end.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If you like singletrack not too far from Katoomba then head to Hazelbrook.

The entry point is on the corner of Railway Parade and Reserve road at Hazelbrook. It is a lot packed into a smallish area and you will have plenty of pedalling to do for a few hours. I have to head up there again.

Screenshot_20190101-215343.jpg
Screenshot_20190101-215406.jpg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
On the north side of town there's one of those weird planned Blueys "future suburbs", that has real-sounding streets all marked out on Google Maps, but is just empty bushland and lots so far. There's trails in there, and it's not NP. Strava heatmaps is your friend.

Similar research will find trails in these kinds of areas in a few of the middle and upper mountains towns...
North Katoomba, used to be a motocross track back in the day. Some okay tracks, can link over to some good tracks in Laura from there too.