What kind of postage speed do you expect from an Australian online retailer?

Blackstar

Likes Bikes
It depends.

Near easter or xmas the post system is chockers maybe 2 weeks.

Otherwise upto a week is reasonable snail mail.

Depends how close you are to the seller too.

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
Ozkaban said:
On a slight side note, I've just put two orders in of small-ish items from Chain Reaction and Wiggle within minutes of eachother. I'll be interested to see which one gets here first!
CRC arrived Thursday (5 bus days), wiggle arrived Friday (6 bus days)

Submitted an order with cell yesterday morning. Arrived yesterday afternoon.

The contrast is stark. Mind you, the other store did (eventually) refund the item I returned (not the return postage though) that was wrong.

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CRC arrived Thursday (5 bus days), wiggle arrived Friday (6 bus days)

Submitted an order with cell yesterday morning. Arrived yesterday afternoon.

The contrast is stark. Mind you, the other store did (eventually) refund the item I returned (not the return postage though) that was wrong.
thats awesome!!!!!!

floody

Wheel size expert
It depends.

Near easter or xmas the post system is chockers maybe 2 weeks.

Otherwise upto a week is reasonable snail mail.

Depends how close you are to the seller too.
I don't buy this anymore, I think the system is hopeless all year round. Chockers system at Christmas didn't stop my CRC order still arriving with the last leg through Auspost in 4 days.

danha

Squid
Locally I've had great experiences with Cell (always delivered next day) and Moruya Cycles (took a little longer but rang me to check on my order and see I'd picked the right part - extra points there).

O/S, CRC have been variable, shipping has been slower recently but it always arrives, Wiggle have been good and Torpedo too. They all take about the same time. Looking forward to trying Jenson as they have a frameset I'm chasing.

To answer the original question, if it's local and in stock, and I order before 2pm I expect it on my desk next day if coming from a major metro area and I'm prepared to pay the extra purchase price/delivery. Cell are brilliant for this. Order Thursday and get it in time for my big weekly ride on Saturday morning.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Locally I've had great experiences with Cell (always delivered next day).
Just ordered from stuff from Cell this morning so will see how it goes; I am hoping it gets here (Melb metro) tomorrow so I can ware the gear on the weekend (friday off).

In the past it seems I've always had better luck from O/S retailers than Local or interstate. I once had a package leave Red Barn Cycles in the USA on the Tuesday evening (our time) to arrive on Friday morning in time for the weekend... Meanwhile in Australia you can't even post a letter from Melbourne to Brisbane that quick :mmph: :mmph: :mmph:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I dhl sent a package from crc last week, ordered Friday night. (So day time over there) got here this morning. Less than 72 bus hours. Happy camper.
For some stuff from aus at the same time one by express should have been sent yesterday. So well see.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find postage speed directly related to how urgently in need the item.

Drink mix from wiggle that I have not run out of yet 4 days.

XX1 cranks for 24 hr solo in 1.5 weeks, 2 weeks so far.....

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I find postage speed directly related to how urgently in need the item.

Drink mix from wiggle that I have not run out of yet 4 days.

XX1 cranks for 24 hr solo in 1.5 weeks, 2 weeks so far.....
ditto :pound:

bought parts for 2 different bikes...

parts for the bike in the garage? almost 2 weeks and still nfi
parts for the bike i sold just after purchasing parts? here 3 days later.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More cock-ups

Thankfully hadn't paid. Sent them an email and told them that I willingly pay a premium buying goods from local retailers, over online, because it usually means good customer service and getting the item quicker, but that I wasn't willing to fork out extra cash when both were absent. Told them to jam it and I'd be ordering another one elsewhere.
So it didnt end there...

Contacted the other stockist of the helmets in Melbourne about ordering in the Helmet for me, but they never saw fit to pick up or reply to my emails. The original store called me and said they had the helmet in stock. As I cbf waiting any longer to get it, ended up going in and buying it anyway.

So I had the helmet in my hands, size large, colour white as requested, but on closer inspection realised that they had still managed to cock up the order and had given me the 'hard hat' version - which is not designed to absorb heavier impacts and is not compliant with Aus standards - despite specifically ordering the EPS version.

Took it in, told them to jam their excuses and got a refund. Back to online shopping...

Blackstar

Likes Bikes
I don't expect too much because I used to be one.

It's hard to make a living selling bike parts..

Like.. I'd rather they post that day or the next morning, but where you live and where they dispatch can make a difference to delivery times, especially if you live in a small country town..

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just ordered some stuff from cell and mountainbikesdirect

both items turned up within a couple of days

this is what it should be like

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just ordered from stuff from Cell this morning so will see how it goes; I am hoping it gets here (Melb metro) tomorrow so I can ware the gear on the weekend (friday off).
Stuff ordered Tuesday lunchtime, arrived Friday morning, which isn't bad given the Anzac Day Public Holiday in there.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Ordered a couple of items online, in Australia and in stock (according to the website) via express post first thing Wednesday morning, hoping to have for the weekend. Fingers crossed I have them tomorrow (Friday) or it will be please explain.

My understanding is Express post is next day delivery? I would like to think it would have been posted on the Wednesday.......

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not real happy with Torpedo 7, a week after dispatching some tires I ordered and they still aren't here - surely it isn't that hard to get next day or hell even 3 day delivery between Sydney and Melbourne? Was really hoping to put them on the bike this weekend... Guess not! :bored:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
If I place an order Monday morning I would expect to have the product by Wednesday Arvo or at the latest, Thursday Morning.

I don't know about Aussie online bike retailers but I have dealt with a few online retailers here for memory cards, hard drives etc and just because they say they have them in stock doesn't mean THEY have them in stock. It just means that the Aussie distributor has them and they can order them in. Overseas, if they say they are in stock, then they ARE in stock. Again, bike sellers here may or may not use this tactic.....

scblack

Leucocholic
I've bought from most of them:
  • Cell - quick service, good.
  • Torpedo7 - can be slow postage, but customer service is good.
  • TBSM - great service, good pricing.
  • www.cyclingexpress.com - good for well priced bikes.
  • www.biggride.com - very limited range.

Someone mentioned www.bikebug.com.au - I have just found them. They are mostly roadie stuff - but they genuinely do MATCH O/S pricing. And great service too. Very much recommended.