What made you decide to e-bike?

cammas

Seamstress
Not looking to open a can of worms or start a shit fight but what made you decide to get one?
I have been fighting health issues the last 4 years and currently sitting in the doctors surgery whilst I type this and was wondering what some other peoples experience has been.
Is there anyone else on here that’s been in similar situation?
How have you found it?
I was thinking about something like the new Trek Fuel or the Orbea Rise etc

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
Just got one a few days ago mate..

Having been through cancer, twice, and most recently chemo, I was unable to ride my bike for any sort of meaningful amount of time or distance. 30 minutes, even walking up hills, I was stuffed.. not just for that moment, but for the next 24 hours.

The ebike is amazing.. I'm able to drop the assistance when I feel I have the strength for a particular hill, but if I'm not making it and my legs are getting too worn out (strength is my issue over my cardiovascular fitness) I can bump up the assistance.

So far Ive spent most of my time on the 'eco' mode, which is the lowest assistance.

Beyond that, they're just straight up bloody fun!

Screw the haters.. E bikes can make riding accessible to people who otherwise wouldn't be able to enjoy the sport... if you need an Ebike, get an ebike and to hell what anyone else thinks.

Attachments

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep, my health took a shit around 2018. Maybe humans haven’t evolved to live past 30?

Previously could bash out 300 watts average for 2-3 hours, with the occasional 1200-1400watt sprint. Distant memories now.

Bought a Turbo Levo. Zero regrets.

Your only question is what bike to buy.

cammas

Seamstress
So I’ve been struggling badly this year, most of the year missed due to my hernia but over the last couple years I’ve been suffering from fibromyalgia, costochronditis, arthritis which I’ve had since a teen, had my hip replaced and numerous other broken bones injuries etc. I had to stop riding single speed and endurance racing ie 6hr solos due to this and then I tried to do bike packing, where I’ve done a few trips on the GDT between Bendigo & Ballarat and plenty of just big days out. Currently weighing up my options if I persist for another year and try for few more trips and if I’m just going through a rough patch or do I sell up most of my bikes to put it towards an e-bike, then as @link1896 said what to buy

Calvin27

Eats Squid
what made you decide to get one?
Train delays. Mine is 10years old soon and hasn't missed a beat. Take it commuting of those days you can't be stuffed and you realise the ebike is easier than sardine trains. Take it green trails and fire roads too.

Also looking at the Orbea rise h30. Ticks all the boxes but still unsure about the battery system. One of the things I do is check and try to buy a spare battery as a gauge for how well the system is supported. No dice which makes me not so trusting parts won't be an issue. Other option is the lighter but lower range fuel. The tq motor is great but once again not a fan of unknown new stuff especially when shelling out $10k. Then comes all the heavyweights: giant trance and trek rail. Missed the marin Alpine trail e1 sale for $5.5k, kicking myself!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd been ebike curious for a while but didn't like the look, weight or noise of the and knew eventually there'd be lighter weight formats released.

I also tore a hamstring which never recovered and tires me out on steep sustained climbs.
So having flogged myself climbing at my favourite ride spot for a while I thought it was time.

This coincided with Trek releasing the Fuel Ex-e.
Tried it at the shop and hooked. Immediately.

Every single ride has now dialled up the fun and enjoyment.
Sold the Dreadnought, barely ride the Highlander and would recommend it or something like it to anyone still looking to put effort in but to take that final 20% out of the worst climbs.

I ride it with zero assistance in loads of places but it's very helpful when needed.
Feeling fresh at the start of every descent is just peachy.

cammas

Seamstress
I'd been ebike curious for a while but didn't like the look, weight or noise of the and knew eventually there'd be lighter weight formats released.

I also tore a hamstring which never recovered and tires me out on steep sustained climbs.
So having flogged myself climbing at my favourite ride spot for a while I thought it was time.

This coincided with Trek releasing the Fuel Ex-e.
Tried it at the shop and hooked. Immediately.

Every single ride has now dialled up the fun and enjoyment.
Sold the Dreadnought, barely ride the Highlander and would recommend it or something like it to anyone still looking to put effort in but to take that final 20% out of the worst climbs.

I ride it with zero assistance in loads of places but it's very helpful when needed.
Feeling fresh at the start of every descent is just peachy.
I’m definitely e-curious and I know if I try one I will not be disappointed but I still want to put in effort, hence why I’m looking at the fuel or the rise.
Is there any other similar options I don’t want to go fully E, just would like something that gives me a nudge up the hill.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
I’m definitely e-curious and I know if I try one I will not be disappointed but I still want to put in effort, hence why I’m looking at the fuel or the rise.
Is there any other similar options I don’t want to go fully E, just would like something that gives me a nudge up the hill.
They're all pedal assist and I think all of them allow you to choose different modes... Mine, with the EP8 motor allows me to fully customers 2x 3 lots of settings. Max power, torque and how quickly the assistance starts upon a pedal stroke are all customisable. You can tailor the assistance to exactly match what you want to get out of it.

I mostly run on the default eco mode. I still have to work for it, but it gets me that extra percentage that I'm just not capable of sustaining.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
but I still want to put in effort, hence why I’m looking at the fuel or the rise.
youll be putting in effort regardless of what type you go with (full powa or SL). a day out on the bike will still fuck you like a day out on the bike. Youll just get more runs in.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
isnt that like the starting price of a decent ebike?
There are plenty of 'older style' ebikes with huge motors and bigger batteries going for $6.5k mark. The entry trek model is the Rail which is comes in at $6.5k currently, 85Nm motor vs 50Nm, and 500Wh vs 360Wh. Those are pretty common place with other offerings like the merida one forty e and trance e+ also around that price range or lower. The difference is those bikes are around the 24-25kg mark.

For something around the 20kg mark, you are looking at the fuel ex, or Orbea rise or spesh turbo levo. The orbea H30 can be had for $8k as can the spesh, the trek is new so I don't expect discounting any time soon. Both the spesh and the orbea at 500Wh batteries though compared to the fuel exe which is 360Wh. Having said that though the Orbea is kind of 'cheating' in the weight department. It runs smaller less burly tyres and runs 140mm bomber forks - probably adds up to about a kilo of advantage at the cost of trail readiness. Considering the different in spec (for the orbea) and the lower battery capacity (trek), the spesh comes out on top. Where the trek wins out is the TQ motor, that thing is a gem, but I'm not one to take a punt on new stuff. I don't rekon orbea will support the battery long term so that's out, and spesh is all sram decked out plus a mullet so that's a no from me.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought one - still have it 6000km plus klms later - i have been off it for about 6 months .
Weather , lack of interest ( bought a couple of motor cycles - ha ha very funny ) meant i havent been riding much .
Covid has knocked me around a bit in the last 3 months - being older = not as fast recovery in my experience

But after going on a little holiday adventure and seeing how nice the weather can be , how much fun riding your bike is

Well ...... yeah , i'd buy another one - they are Super Fun, and i accept not all ' use your legs ' enthusiasts love em
But mine has taken me on wild rides and adventures across - 3 states , so it cant be all bad ?

They eat brake pads and chains - well maybe not so bad when its 750 ish klms of hard terrain with a solid 100kg riding that pony !

So currently a new Trek -( as i have experience with that brand ) a Spec / Giant etc all are 'good ' I'd love to consider the Santa Cruz - but may be a bit of budget creep there .
My aim was to get 10,000km out of it ( as my off sider said 5,00km doesnt sound like a lot )
So maybe next year ?
Supply chain may have fixed itself to a degree , im not 100 % on 29 as i am relatively short - 27.5 has served me well , but want a well specced machine for around $10 - ish .

If i get off my arse and on the bike all will start to work itself out - mostly my fitness and skills rebuild - silly as it sounds, off the bike for a few months and it fades away .

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'd love to consider the Santa Cruz - but may be a
was looking at a bullit but with all the new motor tech coming out, im holding out for another year or so before taking any decisive action. Wifey is planning on a Indian Chief in the next year or two aswell, so being able to convince her i should get a toy of similar value shouldnt be too poorly received lol

cammas

Seamstress
I’m going to see how I go over the 6 to 12 months and if I can’t get my body under control I think I’ll be getting one. Currently off the bike again after catching my foot on a log and doing something to my hip, had an X-ray and my prosthetic hip is all good, thank f@ck, tried riding yesterday but still a no go. Potentially a ligament or muscle issue but as I’m going under the knife again on Thursday I won’t be riding till at least Xmas, hopefully by then it has sorted itself out.
Really liking the Orbeas as I’ve always had a thing for them but I have a couple things I want to do before I make the switch, fingers crossed that next year is better than this year for riding.