What should I buy - Norco sight or canyon Spectral?

scblack

Leucocholic
Scott, admin on this site bought a Canyon - and waited over four MONTHS for delivery.

Personally I like the Sight - rode one at Smithfield Cairns and enjoyed it immensely.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Canyon delivery times from people I personally know:

2018 Canyon Torque in 1 week
2018 Canyon Strive ordered at the start of 2018 .... came in 6 months o_O

and myself - 2018 Canyon Torque in 1 week

Sounds like you should get a Torque ;)

pmrider

Squid
I have the spectral 8.0 (carbon front, alu rear). It's a seriously good bike and great value at 4K. So much so that I'm selling my dh bike coz I don't feel I need it any more. The spectral is so capable. Regarding the cracking chainstays, mine are fine. When I heard about it I contacted Canyon Aus and they told me this issue only affected a certain batch of frames that were sold in the US only. Get the Spectral, it rocks.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I have the spectral 8.0 (carbon front, alu rear). It's a seriously good bike and great value at 4K. So much so that I'm selling my dh bike coz I don't feel I need it any more. The spectral is so capable. Regarding the cracking chainstays, mine are fine. When I heard about it I contacted Canyon Aus and they told me this issue only affected a certain batch of frames that were sold in the US only. Get the Spectral, it rocks.
Riding mate bought a Spectral at the start of the year. Cracked the chain stay at Maydena a couple of weeks ago so not just the US affected. Kudos to Canyon though, new chainstay in the post a couple of days later.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
mate rode one ta maydena, absolutely loved it, coming off carbon anthem 120, he’s getting the aloy stumpy, another mate is getting the full blinged carbon one
It's nice to hear from real people all the reviews say the new design is great but you can only trust the magazines so far.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Bit of a hijack but does anyone have any experience with the new Specialized stumpjumper https://www.specialized.com/au/en/m...oy-27-5-12-speed/p/157616?color=236403-157616
or the GT sensor https://www.99bikes.com.au/gt-sensor-comp-29-sm-green-black-2019-1

Both can be had for about the same as the Norco and the Spectral and I really like the look of the Stumpy, it helps that there is an aloy model going for $3300 brand new in Sydney.
I had a day on the carbon one (L - so a touch small) in Hobart and a day on the alloy one (XL so better fit) in Derby. Both rode well. Not blow your mind good but a deadset solid mid-travel rig.

The alloy model was just as good as the carbon.

If I was looking for a trail rig then I’d consider them for sure. Would probably preference a dw link (or similar) frame though, but that’s personal preference.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I had a day on the carbon one (L - so a touch small) in Hobart and a day on the alloy one (XL so better fit) in Derby. Both rode well. Not blow your mind good but a deadset solid mid-travel rig.

The alloy model was just as good as the carbon.

If I was looking for a trail rig then I’d consider them for sure. Would probably preference a dw link (or similar) frame though, but that’s personal preference.
Good to know considering there are similar spec giant trance 2 for about $400 less and while they might be a bit "boring" they are a rock solid trail bike.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Could always go a poor mans DW with maestro...
Been there, done that. Turner Dw beats giant maestro hands down. Maestro still good but different to the stumpy.

Truth be told, modern shocks are good and most dual suspension bikes perform pretty well