What should I buy, or what can I buy

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If a person wanted to buy some Boost cranks, it seems the only choice is SRAM. Maybe some of boutique brands have offerings but I'm not keen to cough up $400 for blingy Hope et al cranks that are going to get battered. I like the cost effectiveness of Shimano cranks along with their simplicity and robustness. But try finding SLX or XT cranks in BOost versions in our wide brown land of online retailers.
I'm at the point of buying some bits to complete a HT build and it makes sense to buy Eagle shifter/derailleur so I don't have to buy a wheel set immediately, and can borrow from my Fuel EX until my bike bits fund gets a boost. I'd rather get Shimano cranks and was looking around in case my handcrafted spider doesn't work out.
Shimano's new 12spd stuff isn't available from MTB Direct or Pushy's yet.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually, Shimano 12spd cranks are now showing on MTB Direct, will be a bit over $300 by the time a chainring is added. The 11spd XT wkkie posted would be better value. I hadn't looked at Chain Reaction.

PJO

in me vL comy
You could also find an older 10-spd 2X non-boost crankset, the outer chainring is pretty much in the same position as a single ring boost crankset. The chainline is measured as roughly the midline between the two chainrings on a 2X crankset, so a 49mm chainline on a 2X crankset has the outer chainring about 2-3mm further outboard (roughly the same as the 51-53mm boost chainline).

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/pag...or-optimal-1x-conversions-boost-and-non-boost

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or, most boost frames run with with non boost cranka. Case in point, both my Intense Primer and now Sniper I'm running XTR non boost (m9020) cranks with no issues. Milage may vary but if you've got some non boost ones lying around chuck em in and check

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Or, most boost frames run with with non boost cranka. Case in point, both my Intense Primer and now Sniper I'm running XTR non boost (m9020) cranks with no issues. Milage may vary but if you've got some non boost ones lying around chuck em in and check
Is that more of a XC thing where the frames may also accept 2x setups? The Ripmo I had would take non-boost cranks/chainrings, but only up to a 30t IIRC (paging @hifiandmtb )...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Bikebug has Xt 1x and 2x cranks. An ebay french seller has xtr 2x cranks for reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that more of a XC thing where the frames may also accept 2x setups? The Ripmo I had would take non-boost cranks/chainrings, but only up to a 30t IIRC (paging @hifiandmtb )...
Yeah it must just be certain frames. I've got a 34t non boost on my Sniper with room to go bigger if I want. But it's also a 1x only frame so who knows. Like I said, milage may vary. If you've already got a set of cranks lying around you can always sit them in and try before buying new. But if you've gotta buy then you might as well get the correct ones to suit.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
30T non boost fits, I'll be trying out that option first but was probably getting a bit ahead of myself thinking about 'what if it doesn't'