What size spring for rear shock ?

butchapalooza

Likes Dirt
hi i was just wondering what size spring would be best for my rear shock it has a 300x3.25 on it now but i have had to tighten it up alot for it to feel ok also is there a limit as to how much you can tighten the spring ?

Attachments

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
If that is the original spring, you wanna make sure to keep the stroke # the same (3.25) or a bit longer. The spring weight will come in 50 pound increments.

Hopefully a local shop has a box of these kicking around and will let you try a few.

As far as preloading goes, avoid spinning it more than 2.5-3 full rotations from a slightly snug starting position. Too much preload shortens the distance between the coils and can cause binding or spring breakage(unless this is a street machine).

Make sure you have adequate pressure in the boost valve.

camzh

Likes Dirt
As above,
If you need to tighten it a lot to get the right feel you need a stiffer spring.

Ideate

I'm in the same boat, needing a higher heavier fox spring. I haven't been able to find anyone in Melbourne that stocks 3.25" springs yet but if you want to try something heavier, I have a 450lbs 3.25" for sale. If you came out for a ride (with a helmet;) I'd let you try it.

butchapalooza

Likes Dirt
I'm in the same boat, needing a higher heavier fox spring. I haven't been able to find anyone in Melbourne that stocks 3.25" springs yet but if you want to try something heavier, I have a 450lbs 3.25" for sale. If you came out for a ride (with a helmet;) I'd let you try it.
yeah thanks heaps i should have a helmet by the end of the weekend

butchapalooza

Likes Dirt
If that is the original spring, you wanna make sure to keep the stroke # the same (3.25) or a bit longer. The spring weight will come in 50 pound increments.

Hopefully a local shop has a box of these kicking around and will let you try a few.

As far as preloading goes, avoid spinning it more than 2.5-3 full rotations from a slightly snug starting position. Too much preload shortens the distance between the coils and can cause binding or spring breakage(unless this is a street machine).

Make sure you have adequate pressure in the boost valve.
do you need a shock pump to do that or can you use any pressure gauge ?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Try click bike, they have a heap of heavy arse Springs 500 lbs + in 3.25 length. At $5 a pop, try them all.

Ideate

Try click bike, they have a heap of heavy arse Springs 500 lbs + in 3.25 length. At $5 a pop, try them all.
Thanks! I just ordered a 650lbs.. unfortunately they didn't have anything else that would fit my RC4. They've got heaps of other sizes for $2!!! BARGAIN!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Thanks! I just ordered a 650lbs.. unfortunately they didn't have anything else that would fit my RC4. They've got heaps of other sizes for $2!!! BARGAIN!
Don't suppose they'd have a 225x3.80 Fox spring for $2? Haha...

driftking

Wheel size expert
I don't want to get into detail but the jist of set up.

Get the right spring rate that gives you correct sag. You cannot over come the wrong spring with preload, air pressure or compression adjustments.

The spring is the most important part and needs to be done first.
Once you find that right spring you can add preload if needed but its ideal to have minimal for performance reasons. Adding preload does not stiffen the shock up as such.

From here adjust your rebound.
Than compression.

On the rc2 my understanding is you have LSC only. once you have the correct spring rate with sag. Your compression can be used to help control things like the body movement and momentum shift on the trail so under pedaling LSC can be used to control bob, Under braking LSC can be used to control dive. Set this up to avoid too much dive or travel use under body movement like smooth corners and pedaling/dive. This is also used in wallowing holes. It controls the shocks slow compression.

After this if you find the shock needs more support towards the end of the stroke you can try adding 5-10psi in the chamber (making sure to never exceed the recommended pressures). You might find you can reduce the LSC after this depending how much you increase the pressure. This adjustment will increase the overall support in the mid stroke and the ramp up at the end of the shock.

Air pressure in the chamber effects the springs curve/ramp up or down. However this effects the entire stroke so its its a fine tuning setting that does cross over other settings.

Oh also when buying a new spring the spring you have now is a fox branded spring i take it.
Fox label the spring length at coil bind where others label the free length

A FOX 1.65 labeled spring = 1.5″ stroke
A FOX 2.35 labeled spring = 2.0″ or 2.25″ stroke
A FOX 2.8 labeled spring = 2.5″ or 2.75″ stroke
A FOX 3.25 labeled spring = 3.00″ stroke

Many people start looking for 3.25 springs in other brands and don't find them not realizing fox label it different.

Last edited: