What the hell is Boost ???

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
So I'm seriously looking into buying a modern day bike probably a 650b as trying to find a 26er is harder than Chinese algebra and everything seems to be boost this and boost that... from wheels to forks to cranks/bb, even frames..

What the hell does boost mean or refer to ???

The last time I bought a MTB, wheels were 26", bb's were euro (either 68 or 73mm) headsets were either 1 1/8" or 1.5" and 99% of frames had a 10 x 135 rear end or 12x150 for DH

So confused now..

Bonus question: Why would I want my forks to be offset???

FoxRidersCo

Religiously watches Infowars, OANN, NewsMax and Fox, doesn’t know what’s happened the real world in the last 4 years.

That tracks.
Actually haven't ridden/owned a bike for over a decade ;)

Well I did have a Yeti DJ for like 2 days but sold it as it was too small, so doesn't count

FoxRidersCo

Got one. It’s not boost though.
Pro tip. Buy a Banshee so you can opt out of boost.
Cool...

My budget wouldn't stretch to a Banshee, plus being a bike to get back into the sport I'd want to start at the lower end of price/spec and most likely 2nd hand. There are plenty of Giant reign/anthems and Speshies around but I'm not a fan, Perhaps a Norco or a Nukeproof or Transition

moorey

call me Mia
Cool...

My budget wouldn't stretch to a Banshee, plus being a bike to get back into the sport I'd want to start at the lower end of price/spec and most likely 2nd hand. There are plenty of Giant reign/anthems and Speshies around but I'm not a fan, Perhaps a Norco or a Nukeproof or Transition
Um...Transition are as dear as SC...
Banshee were 1/3 of the price of Tranny frames until the latest model. @the drizzle paid $1900 with shock for his 6 months ago. If you’re XL, he’s selling.
If going new...If you can get hold of one, look up Privateer. Commencal are great value.
SH prices are worse than new with the covid tax currently.

FoxRidersCo

Definitely not XL, M/L more likely, I looked at Polygon and it seems as with alot of manufacturers complete bikes the bulk of the money you pay for is the fork (fox/pike) and the frame but the rest is just shit generic components.

$1500 - $2000 would be max budget for complete bike, 2nd hand I could get something that someone has specced nicely (sure it wouldn't be the latest and greatest model but that plus aesthetics don't put me off)..

Been trawling eBay and Gumtree lately and there's either way over priced low spec bikes or extremely high specced bikes with prices to match, just want to find some middle ground.

Also I haven't even decided between hardtail or dually, I'm leaning more toward hardtail as it's what I've known being from a BMX and DJ scene plus hardtails are less maintenance..

moorey

call me Mia
Forget SH for a few months. Been hunting actively for a few months for a decent $2.5k bike for Felixs mate. You’ll get a $1000 bike for $2000 at the moment

FoxRidersCo

Forget SH for a few months. Been hunting actively for a few months for a decent $2.5k bike for Felixs mate. You’ll get a $1000 bike for $2000 at the moment
Yeah that basically sums it up..... I had my eye on this but it is probably sold now :(

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You're in for a world of hurt with this...the used bike market has gone totally nuts in the last year. There is a huge under supply of new bikes and parts, potentially significant wait times for new models, and this has driven the used market skyward. If you can save a bit more, for around $3k you can get some reasonable dual suspension bikes from polygon. They even have a ripper 26 inch bike for adults, but it is very slope style. I use one as my daily driver. If you are more medium than large in height and keen on 26, the pedals pedal and the wheels wheel...

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/pantera-calle.317194/

They're a bit over $2k new a the moment. You probably won't win any 24 hour races but you can have fun on it.

But back to your original question, boost is mostly about axle spacing and chain alignment. Apparently for the many many many years that axles were 135mm and 150mm wide the people responsible for bike design had it all wrong!!! Who would have thought? Well now it has been fixed.

If you are buying a new whole bike understanding this won't matter until you fuck something up. If you buy a used bike from someone who knows what they are doing this won't matter until you fuck something up.

FoxRidersCo

Yes. Though a little modified.

I currently crank out about 20-25 road kilometres a day on it, mostly flat. But I've done a bit of trail riding on it and not had to cry myself to sleep on the side of the trail.

It is in the lower part of the back!
There are actually 2 as new 2021 Trid ZZ's for sale locally around the $1700 asking but I'm hesitant as again they're kinda specific purpose wise and the stock parts besides perhaps the pikes are average at best..