[WHAT TO BUY] AM/DH Stem?

Crimson

Likes Dirt
There is a company (Box Components) making a bit of a push for technological upheaval in the world of BMX racing at the moment and I've just built a new bike (here) with the intention of adoptiing as much of this "new technology" as possible. One of the first areas they are attacking is the bar/stem market by introducing 31.8mm diameter tubing to the clamping area.

However, their stem seems excessvely heavy (285g for 53mm reach), so I'm asking the wider RB community to suggest some quality manufacturers of stems (not triple crown) that withstand the rigors of the AM/DH scene as I believe it would be safe to assume they would also exceed the demands placed on them in the world of BMX.

EDIT: I should probably state that I'm after a 50mm reach with 0 rise, from looking at the sggestions provided so far it seems 35mm-40mm is a far more common length. I'm also looking for something that doesn't like "just a short MTB stem" but has the more squarish BMX style appearance.

Last edited:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
The stem looks awesome and the only reason I'd choose a RF Diabolous D2 is because it's tried and true + the RF reputation (no, I'm not sponsored by RF)

Innovative as it is using smaller clamp bolts, it probably can shed a bit of weight if it used titanium (was referring to the Thomson X).

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Thomson is where it's at for all mountain. Not sure for downhill. They may not be the lightest but they are fucking awesome.

Unfortunate they stopped making the elite design.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
One of the lesser known brands that we do ... Kodex Racing Products from Germany

http://www.kodex-racing.com/en/products/detail/stems/strata_stem/ ... not the lightest stem 188g with bolts ... but bloody strong, with nice colour options. Worth doing your research on these.

DSC_7308 small.jpgDSC_7309 small.jpg

Burgtec will also be coming out with a new trail/Am stem with either 50 or 65mm reach ... details in the new year (Feb ish)

Also for those more budget conscious ... Loaded AMX stem 50mm reach ... $79.95 ... about GST away from Jenson USA

Last edited:

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Some interesting suggestions so far.

- Race Face don't seem to make the Diabolus anymore
- Thomson's X4 may be an option if it doesn't look too much like a short MTB stem
- Kodex looks great, but they don't make them in 50mm
- Loaded don't appear to be long enough either
- Chunked looks to be on the money so far (and locally produced to boot).

Keep the suggestions coming please.

Gripo

Eats Squid
My take is modern frames (AM/Trail) are designed with a range of stem sizes from 50-70mm in mind (if you require something longer you might of bought the wrong frame size - just my opinion...)

Combine that with bars of varying width/rises and it becomes really personal to the extent that 5mm is all it takes to feel good/bad in the cockpit area.

I have run Atherton Pro Stems (65mm) as an alternative to my prefered Thomson X4s...

Recently I went to wider bars 710> 780s with lesser backsweep....now I'm looking for a nice 60mm stem to feel right.

PS. Atherton stems now forsale, see cockpit/controls forum....

Last edited:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Some interesting suggestions so far.

- Race Face don't seem to make the Diabolus anymore
I know. Gunzee and I have 1 each +I got an older Ride DH. Some shops still sell them at 2008 prices (haven't gone down) but I bet ebay will show some occasionally.

At 50mm reach, the steering will be quick and you might need wider bars and will definitely be beyond AM application. However, there are D2s that provide a 70mm reach as well.