what to buy and where?

SquarkyD

Likes Dirt
ok i'm thinking of upgrading my frame/forks combo and since i've been outta the scene for 2.5 years it seems alot has changed :shock:

basically i'm after a DMR trailstar kinda frame and a set of forks to match, all the other parts i have on my current bike (sunn rimms, tektro v's, stx running gear etc)

so what would u guys reccomend as a good combo (i'm 6'1 and on a budget) and where in brisiabne would be a good place to go and have a look at prices.

cheers

Ryan

Radministrator
For the price of a new Trailstar frame and forks you could pick one up secondhand, fully built out of the trader. They're usually going for around the $900-$1000 mark and considering the frame is nigh indestructible are a pretty safe bet for a secondhand bike. I'm just reccommending this because it's how I picked up my DMR and I've never had a problem with it. Just about any shop should be able to get DMR frames in new though, so all you have to do is ask.
Other options in the frame only department, that I'd reccomend:
Planet X - Expensive but you get what you pay for
CTR Boy Bikes - Can only be gotten 2nd hand these days, but tough as nails frames.
Haven't had any real experience with any other frames, but if you're gonna buy a tough hardtail I definitely reccomend you look at the small-volume frame manufacturers before considering the mass produced knock-offs out there. The little guys know their sh*t and have been making frames that are dialled for riders who know the difference since before the big bike companies even knew jumping hardtails existed. If you really want an idea of how wide a range of companies you have to choose from though, check this <a href="http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=bc7ddbd1fd703be16a2747dfb779c010&threadid=10689">
ridemoneky thread</a> out.

lindsay

Likes Dirt
If your after a shop go to SDV. Talk to Matt and tell him what your after. He'll be able to help you out.

I'm with ryan too. The smaller companies make some really good bikes and know what they're on about.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
5000 cnd$ is about 7000 aus$ or there abouts. depends what it had on it. but that is a little exessive i guess.

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5,000.00 CAD = 5,620.07 AUD with the current exchange rate
but Unimployed (i hope your name was an intentional typo), any bike in oz is gonna be way more than in canada, its just the way it is.