What tools should I buy

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Hi all

I am placing an order at CRC and I need to it it above $445 for free shipping. I was thinking about getting some tools to start my collection so I can start to do more work on my own bikes. I just got a workstand but really don't have any other tools!

Just wondering what I should get and in what order to build up!

First thing I will be getting a pedal spanner - I hate getting my SPDs off!

Cheers

CraigS

Likes Dirt
If it's just for general cleaning and servicing of your bikes, I would start off with a cassette tool and chain whip, bottom bracket tool for your particular BB and if needed a crank puller. Another handy thing to have is a good grease gun for re greasing bolts and other threaded parts after cleaning. I'm sure there is a stack of other tools you could get too but these are what I would start with. You can always add more to your tool shop later on as needed.

NSR

Likes Dirt
Park Tools Allen Head T Bar set, A good set of allen keys is a must.
get a good quality set of allen keys, with lots of leverage.
In other words, make sure they are long, because cranks are a bitch to get off once you have let them sit for a while...

CraigS

Likes Dirt
OOps forgot to mention the allen keys. That was my first tool purchase. I got a set of Kincrome ones and they are great.
If you're ordering from CRC then get Park Tool, you won't get them any cheaper I don't think.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wish i would have purchased a good brand name set of tools,{there are a few out there}a long time ago.Tools bought induvidually,definately cost more!:D:)

frensham

Likes Dirt
Pedal spanner, cable cutters, cone spanners, chain breaker, chain cleaner, spoke tool.

On another note, Wiggle www.wiggle.co.uk only require you to spend $90AUD for free delivery to Australia. I find their prices mostly competitive with CRC, especially if you can't justify spending $445.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Allens, chain whip and cassette tool. BB tool. Chain cleaner and cleaning kit (suitable brushes etc). If you don't already have one, a decent multi tool for trailside :)

Quency

Likes Dirt
Why not have a look at prices on a tool kit rather than buying individual tools. Give yourself more bang for your buck

houli77

Likes Dirt
Why not have a look at prices on a tool kit rather than buying individual tools. Give yourself more bang for your buck
+1

Individual tools are like buying a complete bike piece by piece. cost you a fortune.

start with a basic kit and work from there.

i bought some cheap kit from torpedo7 ages ago and it's actually done me well for the bits and pieces like cassette tool, chainwhip, cable cutters, old isis BB tool/crank puller, chain breaker (although it has since died) , spoke keys, cone spanners etc..

i think that original kit cost me like $50.. the old kits go cheap cause they don't have up to date tools like external BB etc. just buy them separate.

or if you need to fill a crc order just think ahead, look at your gear and see what's starting to go - get brake pads, tires, cables, blah blah. doesn't take much to fill an order...

it's always good to have that stuff laying around and not having to panic purchase shit like brake pads at $40 a set. i bought 4 sets of elixir pads off crc for about $80AU recently.

lawry

Likes Dirt
Allen keys

Park tools allen keys are very good but they are made under licence by Bondhus.

You can purchase Bondhus gear from Bunnings and don't pay for the Park tools name.