What ya reckon, too short?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Thread reboot. What's the brains' trust verdict on this one, rideable? After getting the lower race as tight to the bottom of the fork crown as possible my ruler measurements are 7mm from top of steerer to the top of the stem. Externally from stem top to middle of the top bolt is 8mm, which lines up with the Mark 1 eyeball of the middle of the top bolt overlapping with the top of the steerer.

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have nothing to back it up but the top bolt should IMO be below top of steerer by 2.5-5mm. You are out by what, 3mm?

There's prob people riding around doing just that and oblivious to it, but I'd prefer not to be a stat: too short for me.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I have nothing to back it up but the top bolt should IMO be below top of steerer by 2.5-5mm. You are out by what, 3mm?

There's prob people riding around doing just that and oblivious to it, but I'd prefer not to be a stat: too short for me.
+1. Rangersac - It's your life mate, but NO. Frikken NO.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What are you doing on the bike? If you're riding it, then it is probably too short. If you are hanging it on the wall or gifting it to your mother in law, then it's probably perfect.

Time for a new low profile stem.

Rode my last hardtail with a steerer something like the last pic.
Bought forks 2nd hand with the short steerer and that combined with a fairly tall headtube made it impossible to get it right height.
Tube finished somewhere very close to the stem bolt. Was a single bolt style too. I'm a big fella but I wasn't doing anything too extreme. Still jumping and the likes, few big stacks and all.
Had that fork in there for almost a year without issue before getting a new set. Actually forgot all about it until I replaced them.
But that's just been me, wouldn't advise others do the same.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Thanks gents, yeah it's a piss off, I reckon I need another 3-4mm only and then I'd be fine. Using a replacement stem is a bit tricky as it's a 120mm job, and most of the low stack ones are short. One option is the current top cap on headset is pretty chunky at 8mm. Might head for the LBS and see if they have an orphan flat top cap, as that would get me what I need. Alternatively what's the lowest stack external top cup 1 1/8th headset anyone know of? Currently stack height around 19mm

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Thanks gents, yeah it's a piss off, I reckon I need another 3-4mm only and then I'd be fine. Using a replacement stem is a bit tricky as it's a 120mm job, and most of the low stack ones are short. One option is the current top cap on headset is pretty chunky at 8mm. Might head for the LBS and see if they have an orphan flat top cap, as that would get me what I need. Alternatively what's the lowest stack external top cup 1 1/8th headset anyone know of? Currently stack height around 19mm
Lower topcap or weightweenies favourite no topcap?

stirk

Burner
A different top cap will definitely fix the issue.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Who says Campagnolo and mountain bikes don't work? One Centaur headset top cap later and she's apples!

IMG_1476.JPG