What year are these Boxxers? (rebound/compression damper pics)

trolleyed

Likes Bikes
Hi, just pulled these Boxxers apart, and what I'm seeing compared to the service manual doesn't add up. (looking at the 1999-2001 and 2003-2004 service guides, they seem to skip 2002 on the sram website)

What oil should I fill these with? Ive seen 10/20w, 10/15w, 5/10w etc, all sorts of combo's recommended...

I was told they are 02 or 03 WC Boxxers, tell me what you think:

Attachments

xc_machine

Likes Dirt
Post up a couple pics of the lowers mate. Most people can't tell by the internals, but by the outside appearance/colour.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I dont think they introduced 'WC' or any of those terms to the BoXXer line up in 2002. In either case, 178mm travel so you might be able to identify them that way...or via the lowers which were red and also retained v-brake mounts too.

An '03 BoXXer WC did not have v-brake tabs and introduced the HC-2 damping. Lowers were gunmetal/black/silver(?) on WC/Team/Race forks respectivly.

What does the assembled fork look like? What colour are the lowers/stanchions?

trolleyed

Likes Bikes
They have been repainted, dodgey rattlecan job. They do have V-brake mounts, and I can see a little red paint next to the stanchions on the arch. Stanchions are gold. Oh 7" travel, too.

Ok I thought maybe someone might be able to verify based on the internals, but looks like 2002 (or older??) based on what AngoXC has said.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Not much doubt that its a HC damper...but I dont recall them changing dramatically over their time but that said, im not really familiar with them.
01 and 02 had 178mm travel...previous, I have a feeling it was like 151mm. Or was that for pre 00 'Pro' and '151' models...i do not know...

S.

ex offender
They're 00, 01 or 02 forks I believe (functionally identical). You can tell from two things:
- 178mm travel means after 99 (or 00? Not 100% sure on that one)
- same size rebound and compression shafts means earlier than 03

You should be running 10wt in both sides with those IMO. If you find the rebound is too slow, try 5wt in the rebound side, but more likely you'll find it's still too fast (they were notorious for being complete pogo sticks - fast rebound is good but they really were very fast), in which case you might need 15wt or even 20wt in the rebound side.

"WC" Boxxers first appeared in 02 (they weren't labeled as such though, they were just a special issue Boxxer) and were characterised by their extremely distinctive titanium nitride (reflective gold coloured) stanchions - they were also very rare in Australia, like there were about half a dozen or so sets in the country. From 03 to 05 they changed the coating on the stanchions to "slippery silver" which obviously is silver.

Last edited: