Whats a good AM helm that us aussies can buy, what u guys use?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Citation?
Aw floody now your making me work!

I seem to recall reading an article on it and then this morning i found all the info. Since this morning and now it seems to have escaped my memory (probably something to do with this mind numbing report im writing at work). Ill find it and put it up eventually...

Checkpoint22

Likes Dirt
I use my 661 evolution, not an AM helmet, but I like the extra protection. It took a bit to get used to the heat, but now if I use my open face, it doesn't feel right.

call_me_bruce

Likes Dirt
With the archi-enduro, it's listed as having a veggie version, which uses an organic linen fabric instead of fibreglass. They appear to weigh the same. What's the advantage of the veggie?

EDIT: I had a brainstorm and looked it up. It's a "green" thing. Who would have thought it would be on their website? Not to worry, my mum thinks I'm special.

Last edited:

call_me_bruce

Likes Dirt
With regard to the Australian Standard (2063) vs CE or EN standard (1078), the testing method for the helmets is different, so I would doubt it very much that CE or EN compliance would be an acceptable substitute. This is a pity. Harmonisation with international standards would make sense, particularly as we are not a huge market, in world terms.

Holf

Likes Bikes
bump looking to try on some PoC helms for sizing, asked my m outain but they dont have any atm want to try on med and compare to the med/large i treid on or the small/med etc, any stores in the melb area that have some sizes in stock atm ?

Ivan

Eats Squid
I am trying to decide between the Giro Hex and The MET Kaos. Anyone tried both and have an opinion? I tried the Hex on in a shop and it felt pretty good.

DrDoom

Squid
661 Recon delivered today, am pretty happy so far. Nice snug fit, good coverage, air flow good and pretty light. Looks dope as well which is a plus.

dasher.11

Likes Bikes
Bought a new Giro Hex the other day, super lightweight and good coverage.

A little harsh on the wallet, but I'd rather spend a bit more and get a safer helmet than have my brain splattered on the trail

*not dissing cheap helmets - but from experience with anything bike related you get what you pay for

Holf

Likes Bikes
wanting to try on some more FF helms, looking at Giro/PoC atm and any other good FF helms, but no idea where to find them in store to try on, online can b a pain if it dont fit.., any know some stores that stock FF helms in Melbourne ? anywhere apart from over the bridge into the west.. Tried my mountain 661 dont fit me '/

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
either get a dedicated AM helmet [...] or a dedicated DH helmet [...]. I'm not knocking the Urge Enduro-Style Helmets, just saying that if you want fool proof protection then go for something simple, that isn't an attempted hybrid between the two
Three months ago, I agreed with you and got a full-face helmet: Bluegrass Explicit, which is supposed to be cooler than a TLD D3 (http://dirt.mpora.com/news/fresh-produce-bluegrass-explicit-full-face-lid.html). I wore it a few times but it was way too hot to wear all the time in the summer.

Bottom line: I wear an XC helmet at the moment and disagree with you. I am now looking for a hybrid helmet, that offers some face protection but it more breathable and cooler than a full-face.

PS/ Unfortunately, Urge has no distributor in Australia.

mint355

Likes Dirt
There is a new bell AM style helmet coming out (may be out now). In saying that I got a giro feature last week in New Zealand... Its the goods though not available in Aus

what's the go with buying helmets from overseas/online that won't have the AS stickers on them.

I don't plan on doing any racing etc, so does it really matter??