Whats the best beer you've had & why?

sutho

Squid
i have to say, that although there are some excelent imports and premium beers available, nothing can beat a carlton draught and even if you dont like it, you gotta admit it has the best ad!

kizza01

Likes Dirt
I love the way threads like this turn into a big show off party to see who can come up with the best bullshit overseas beer so every one goes "oooo, ahhh, such good taste and sooo much money". Me, I just love Coopers Pale ale. Nice and strong, crisp but not overly dry taste, n yeasty!

chie

Likes Dirt
Huge fan of Boags Premium, it's easily the best aust beer i've had the pleasure of drinking.
Unfort it's too expensive for regular consumption, being a student sucks, so extra dry gets drunk more often and new throwies when i'm cheap.

sutho

Squid
kizza01 said:
I love the way threads like this turn into a big show off party to see who can come up with the best bullshit overseas beer so every one goes "oooo, ahhh, such good taste and sooo much money".

very very true

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
kizza01 said:
I love the way threads like this turn into a big show off party to see who can come up with the best bullshit overseas beer so every one goes "oooo, ahhh, such good taste and sooo much money".
Haha! So true! :D

As if ANYONE would ever actually enjoy an imported beer. It's all fake :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, no one actually enjoys beer at all. You all pretend to like it just to fit in. Except for me, because I like Coopers Pale Ale.

sutho

Squid
i doubt theres thaaat many people who can say completely honestly that they really enjoyed their first beer!

tu plang

knob
johnny said:
As a matter of fact, no one actually enjoys beer at all. You all pretend to like it just to fit in.
its all too easy to think that if you drink shit beer, i sure know i used to think that. once i got onto stella and coopers though, and even my home brew (when its not poisonous) i learnt how good beer can get.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry, forgot to put my [sarcasm] tags in my last post. I think Kizza was talking out one's arse. Just because some one enjoys something made overseas (BTW, Coopers is just as expensive as Becks, Stella, Pilsner Urqel and many other imported beers in many Sydney bottle shops) instantly means they are only doing it for staus? Riiiiiiight:rolleyes: . Bit of an infiriority complex going on there? Hmmmm? Lie down on my couch and tell me about your father.

If beer tastes good, I like it. TBH, may fav actually is Coopers, Sparkling though.

tu plang

knob
johnny said:
Sorry, forgot to put my [sarcasm] tags in my last post. I think Kizza was talking out one's arse. Just because some one enjoys something made overseas (BTW, Coopers is just as expensive as Becks, Stella, Pilsner Urqel and many other imported beers in many Sydney bottle shops) instantly means they are only doing it for staus? Riiiiiiight:rolleyes: . Bit of an infiriority complex going on there? Hmmmm? Lie down on my couch and tell me about your father.

If beer tastes good, I like it. TBH, may fav actually is Coopers, Sparkling though.
oh i realised you were being sarcastic, i had a feeling my post wouldnt show this though.

i just found the comment interesting, because at the age of 15/16 its easy to drink cheap beer and resign to the fact that everyone must drink it too fit in.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Ok Johnny Im sorry for offending you. But im saying from past experiences ( Ive only been able to legally drink for six months), and comming from a private school, guys would often come to parties with very expensive imported beer and it soon turned into a match of parents money and alcohol availability. This is just from MY experiences and im sorry to offend. BTW here in Adelaide Coopers is bout $40 a carton compared to $55/60 for Stella, Heinekine etc.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Put shit on me, but don't put shit on my BEER!:mad: :mad: :D :D

I can't believe they charge so much for Coopers up here, it's a bloody domestic beer FFS!!?? Surely it doesn't cost THAT much to stick on a truck and drive it up here!

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Yeah i know the prices of gettin it interstate. i think its because Coopers is still somewhat a boutique beer. they are still a small company and are tryin to expand but for the amount of beer they produce at the cost of it still bein family owned, they have to charge high prices interstate.

jeb123

Likes Bikes
favourite beer would have to be a full flavoured beer, thicker beer........ any of these like, coopers pale ale, guiness, a lot of stouts made in UK and many of germany's finiest.............for a selection of beers to try, any1 who has the FHM edition that did the 101 beers to try, i have made my way through 35 of them so far since that mag was out, i think its back issue of 2-3 editions....... but if u get a chance to sample some of them rated they are bloody great.................

S.P.G.

Likes Dirt
to be short and sweet about this discussion, i love a nice corona with a slice of lime... something about the kinda crisp taste that gets me, that or either db export gold which is a nz beer...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
kizza01 said:
Yeah i know the prices of gettin it interstate. i think its because Coopers is still somewhat a boutique beer. they are still a small company and are tryin to expand but for the amount of beer they produce at the cost of it still bein family owned, they have to charge high prices interstate.
I think it was Lyon Nathan that just tried to do a hostile take over of Coopers. Only thing was, the majority (I think it was all) of the stock is still owned by the Coopers family. No back door here Mr. dirty Capitalist Lyon Nathan ;) Bloods thicker than money mofo!

I'm happy to pay the extra $$$ for such a good beer!

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Yeah thats been in the news heaps here. The problem is that there are a few members of the cooper family, holding shares that want to sell. the other porblem is the other member cant afford to buy them out at a greater price than wat lion nathan are offering. so you see the problem? another problem is some old bithc left her shares to Prince Alfred College (god knows why) n they are gettin parent backlash to campitalise on teh $17.1 million they stand to gain if they sell them. its lookin dark for coopers unfortunatly bu theyll hold onto it.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fatty has a rant.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Forgive him father for he knows not what he says.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have covered this enough in this thread so I will attempt to be brief.
IMHO there is a vast lack of experimentation out there when it comes to beer, beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. There are so many varieties out there that it baffles me how we can be happy settling with mass market stuff such as VB, XXXX, Toohey's, Coopers, Boags, Cascade, etc. Before the flaming begins, let me explain.
All the beers listed are not special, but they do have an important place and they perform their intended role very well. Each of these breweries do put out some very good quality products, but their best sellers seem to be a little too similar to each other. I wont go into the tasting notes for each, but they are similar.

There are that many beers in the world, that you could have a different one each day for the rest of your life and still not try them all. Micro breweries and even large breweries are catering for a growing demand by releasing new varieties.

There is a vast selection just waiting for you at your fingertips people, either at your local bottle shop or online.

www.worldbeers.com.au (shop)
www.internationalbeershop.com.au (shop)
www.bottledbeer.co.uk (database for bottled beer)
www.quaffale.co.uk (breweries in the UK)

If cost is a prohibiting factor, BREW YOUR OWN! The possibilities are endless.

I'm getting a little side tracked, but suffice it to say, get out there and try something different! I know there are some enlightened ones among you, your posts are scattered through this thread. Spread the word, don't suffer mediocre beer any longer.

Time for me to put my high horse away, have a pint of Brewers Gold and have a lie down.:eek:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Homebrew mead ale :p .Monteith's Black (NZ) has got to be my all time favourite bought beers. I have tried a couple of their other brews and would love to get my hands on the Celtic variation but can't find it anywhere in Melbourne :(