Whats the best beer you've had & why?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Time to revive this mofo:

This has almost ruined beer for me. Beautifully balanced between toastyness and fruity sweetness. Suits me sitting around a fire after a few sweeter IPAs.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Almost overboard on the hops and a big booze hit as well. Thick consistency and pretty nice overall.

My glass hadn't been cleaned properly since the last beer and this shit frothed up way too much making the drink pretty flat. Decent flavour but nothing huge:

One of the best IPAs I've ever had. A Sydney brewery, in Camperdown. Just perfectly balanced, not overboard on the hops and a smooth maltiness that worked hand in glove with the bitterness and fruitiness.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Strong, deep flavour with a fruity hop taste ending in slight bitterness. Thick, syrupy and good.

The first real American style craft IPA that I ever tried and couldn't believe what I was tasting. This is probably one of the best beers I've ever had, which is more often than not out of the tap at their joint in CBR. Great balance of malt, bitterness and sweet fruity fruitness.

Nothing more than an also ran....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Big fan:

Picked this one up by mistake. I don't see the point in a session IPA and the barmaid that gave it to me neglected to add the "session" part when telling me about it but still charged me $10 for it, which will purchase a pint of full strength IPA in Canberra.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm a fan of the Pirates also.

It's good that more bottlos are stocking a decent variety of craft beers nowadays.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
What did you think of the 8.8% over their 'regular' IPA? I liked it, although it was getting very syrupy. Their Pale Ale is also excellent and gives many IPAs a run for their money.

My two all time favorite IPAs - perfectly balanced and not at all fruity:

image10.jpg
Mountain-Goat-Japanese-Cowboy-bd42-1.png

Mountain Goat aren't doing the Cowboy anymore, but came out with "Attack of the Killer Hops" IPA, which is basically identical.

I wish it was summer so post-ride beers were a thing again... Just not the same when it's freezing cold.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Loved the pirate IIPA the other night. Interestingly I'd always thought of that name as a double IPA, but on the can it says imperial IPA , so maybe imperial has just come to mean extra strong or something.

All doubles are fantastic, I think the only ones I've had that I didn't love are the occasional black one - for some reason, I just can't do proper blacks

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Loved the pirate IIPA the other night. Interestingly I'd always thought of that name as a double IPA, but on the can it says imperial IPA , so maybe imperial has just come to mean extra strong or something.

All doubles are fantastic, I think the only ones I've had that I didn't love are the occasional black one - for some reason, I just can't do proper blacks
If you get the chance give that hopped porter up top a shot. I've been moving into the darker beers lately but it's been an evolution from IPA - red - brown - hopped porter - chocolate stout and last weekend I had my first double stout (after about 10 other beers, mind you) and I was surprised at how sweet it was and that it was not at all heavy, dank, toasty or smokey.

Also, keep your eye out for this India Black Ale. Worth trying after you've had a few other beers first to 'relax the palette' but it's a mix of sweet fruitiness and malty maltness. It's nowhere near as heavy as looks would have it:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If you get the chance give that hopped porter up top a shot. I've been moving into the darker beers lately but it's been an evolution from IPA - red - brown - hopped porter - chocolate stout and last weekend I had my first double stout (after about 10 other beers, mind you) and I was surprised at how sweet it was and that it was not at all heavy, dank, toasty or smokey.

Also, keep your eye out for this India Black Ale. Worth trying after you've had a few other beers first to 'relax the palette' but it's a mix of sweet fruitiness and malty maltness. It's nowhere near as heavy as looks would have it:

Will do, I do like the sweetness to balance the bitter - Belgian darks and dark wheats amongst favourite - bock about my least favourite.

I still remember my first Epic pale ale - such a trailblazing brewery those guys

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I love many different craft beers, but as a regular weekday sipper I'm loving Cricketers' Spearhead lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Gave this a crack last night, pretty happy with it. Guess I'd say that it's closer to a brown than anything.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
A local beer of exceptional quality. Typical hoppy IPA that's fashionable these days, done very well.