Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Gave this a crack last night, pretty happy with it. Guess I'd say that it's closer to a brown than anything.

When I had a fancy job in town I used to have Friday lunch at the Lord Nelson.

In winter it was epic, an old sandstone pub, fire roaring, pie floater with peas and a couple of pints of Lord Nelson's finest (3 sheets and the dark one you posted), was always very hard to go back to the office (sometimes we didn't).

Pretty much one of the only things I miss about working in the city.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Three sheets is a great drop, both fresh and bottled. My old Sydney Branch used to be just up the road from the LN.

Dick Tracy, BesntSpoke's brown ale. Great beer, got a bit sickly for me after two litres of it though.

Capital's red IPA, one of the best going around, very well balanced

Wayward, quickly becoming one of my favourite breweries. This was just spot on, not too sweet but lots of flavours working together.

Was the only thing at the bar worth drinking, not so bad, decent amount of flavour and well made. Wouldn't go out of my way to track it down though

Not a whole lot of India to this one, heavy malt flavour over-riding the hops. A good beer but not really my thing.

indica

Serial flasher
Feral Brewing War Hog.

Bitter orange, easy drinking. Tropical overload on the aroma. Nice low alcohol @ 7.5%
Great session beer.

Fucking brilliant.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Had the war hog the other day at the local (on tap), actually had 3 IPAs.

One thing struck me, was that only 6 or 7 years ago, I had an icon2 IPA from murrays brewery and it was a revelation of a beer. Had never had anything like it, and the Aussie beer awards gave it first or second - stunning stuff .

Yet, the other night, all of the IPAs I had were probably equally good, it's just that a few years have past and they all taste remarkably similar

Getting older though, I do appreciate what can be done with under 5% alcohol

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
American style IPAs that use citra, mosaic, galaxy and similar hops to give that fruity, citrusy, pine type taste are very fashionable these days. And thankfully so as well because they taste sensational. I'd point to the Vale IPA as well as what Wayward is coming out with these days to try stuff that is not the same as every other American IPA.

Very much a Celtic Red, very little sign of any hops just crystal malt malt malt. A quality beer, just not really my thing right now.

One of the best beers I've ever had. Excellent blend of malt and hops and not overly fruity. Probably not great for hot weather but perfect for everything else.

Meh, just another also ran...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
In saying that though, this is one Wayard IPA that I had about 2 hours back that I did not like much at all. It's their Fusami IPA and it's just boring to me.

But this, the glass I'm downing now, is one of the best IPAs around. It uses Mosaic hops, is 7% boozes and abiout a million IBU. However it's not sweet like most other modern IPAs, just heaps of well balanced beer flavour.

Can't remember what this one was like but it was an IPA.

indica

Serial flasher
It uses Mosaic hops,
Mosaic is a really good hop, goes great in an amber.

Drinking a can of Ballast Point Sculpin.
Their Big Eye IPA is my all time fav, nasty and dank.
This is really good too though, dank with a nice light clean finish.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've seen the Ballast Point around and heard good things. Will have to give them a crack (hope they're chilled whilst transported....)

Bad photo, excellent beer. Canberra brewed, stronger malt but not shy on the hops either.

Sweet and a little too watery for my tastes but i wouldn't say no to one if some one was buying

As per the other PRancing Pony beers, there's a promise of hops (given the India angle) but it's a heavy malt ale instead. A good beer but not my gig in the end.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This is a great IPA. Not your common American fruity deal but a less sweet fuggle-based ale that goes well in winter around a fire with a few chapters of Kipling.

I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it, can't really recall now

This is what's in my glass tonight, similar to the Faversham up there. Not overly sweet, approx 8 booze points and deep, hearty beeryness.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not my pic, just one I found on the interwebs...

Rich, slightly honey-tinged, malty classic Belgian beer. Fairly light on the hops, so it's a smoother, sweeter flavour, which makes it an excellent dessert beer, although at "only" 6.6% boozers it's relatively light...... If you really want a big busty sock knocker offerer that'll keep you warm at night, their Radieuse fits the bill awesomely.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Another kick-arse winter brew...

It's not as dark as it tastes. Rich, malty, slightly nutty flavour, but not so heavy you need cutlery for it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Did you try the Mountain Goat speciality IPAs? I thought they were very similar to the Willie.
Unfortunately I haven't seen any of their speccy IPAs in this neck of the cluster fuck.

Doing this drip at the moment. Might as well be an alcoholic glass of Vegemite. It's ok and was a welcome change to the heavy IPAs an suited the sub-zero temps in my workshop at the mo. But I wont race back to buy it again.

Can't remember.

Not a bad beer but pretty tame in terms of flavour abd booze points compared to other double IPAs such as the Kaiju and Pirate Life listed up the page

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Prancing Pony - Magic Carpet Ride

As per the other PRancing Pony beers, there's a promise of hops (given the India angle) but it's a heavy malt ale instead. A good beer but not my gig in the end.
Johnny - Have you tried the Prancing Pony Magic Carpet Ride? - one of my favourite darks.

- Carpetrunner

Nautonier

Eats Squid
This one is an absolute winner!

img_2879.jpg

Almost identical to the fancy pants Mountain Goat IPAs, but much cheaper and readily available (well, in Melbs anyway).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Love the look of the can, reminds me of this:

Which was also pretty good. I like the colour that IPA you've posted as well, based on appearances that's my kind of drop.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
This one is an absolute winner!

View attachment 339408

Almost identical to the fancy pants Mountain Goat IPAs, but much cheaper and readily available (well, in Melbs anyway).
Nice glass

Long live cans!

Has anyone ever had a flat beer in a can? I got a few from a 6 string brewing carton, wondered if it was widespread or just a one off (didn't stop me drinking them of course )

indica

Serial flasher
Has anyone ever had a flat beer in a can? I got a few from a 6 string brewing carton, wondered if it was widespread or just a one off (didn't stop me drinking them of course )
Nope, Love cans.

Thinking of winning a lotto and canning my homebrew.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Try this can design out for size:

1478246666759.jpg
BentSpoke-Cans-and-opening.png

Shit's a revelation. One of those innovations that was so simple it took decades to think of it.