Whats the best beer you've had & why?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
A few more shitty beers, all of which were greatly enjoyed bar the brown ale, which I found a bit weak and watery.
Nice session!!
The white rabbit is good (had that before)
4 Pines is always quality
I haven't tried the Modus Milk Stout....or the New England Hop Cannon....but they are now on my radar!

stirk

Burner
Wifey thought of me today. Hoppy but not overly so with a creamy malt feel, could easily session this all night but slowly at 8% it's packing a punch!

IMG_20170916_220155634-751x1335.jpg

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
More shitty craft beers:

IPA from the Newstead Brewery in Brisbane. Nice beer, not too sweet but full hop flavour.

The Judas Dark from Woolshed. Nice, super-heavy on the malt, a late night beer for me when I've tired of heavy hops.

Can't recall what this was but I drank it.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't recommend this. I prefer browns to be heavy and syrupy but this was not. Bit watery and light for me but it was also very affordably priced, which balances things.

Quite liked this. Not as much as the Feral Karma Citra, which is that little bit sweeter but I'd still buy it again.

Quite happy with this, very balanced, not overly toasty with a nice little hop tang.

Started getting a little hayfevered up for the below two so my taste was too dulled to judge these shitty craft beers.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
OK, I'll humour your thoughts (despite your tone) in the interests of learning more about the greatest liquid on earth. I don't know much about local Czech beers (except the whole Pilsner thing...)

Which ones do you like / recommend?
Are some of these Czech brands available at my local 'special' beer store? I'm always keen to try new stuff....
+1 I'd be genuinely interested to try something different that might be better than my current favourite IPAs (Colonial/Pirate Life/Mountain Goat Attack of the Killer Hops).

scblack

Leucocholic
I have become a big fan of Kronenbourg 1664, a very different flavoured beer, its the Blanc. A very complex mouthfeel, certainly not a plain Lager and a fantastically fruity kind of flavour. My beer review skills are crap.

And seeing how I am a genius and all; I found that at about half empty, the glass actually floats. See here:
Beer floaty.jpg

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I think I found a new favourite beer: Tequila flavoured Cerveza. It was sooo good,I will be searching this one down again.
Desperado beer.jpg

I had it here with dinner - nice huh!
Lantern Rooftop.jpg

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Love me some shitty craft beer.

This one wasn't so great, although I am flu'd up at the moment and taste isn't what it should be:

I think this one was good:

Couldn't taste shit, which is a pity given that I really wanted to taste this one:

moorey

call me Mia
A mate just said to me 'that's Johnny drinks a shit load of beer'! I attempted to defend your honour, having never been in this thread before. I can see why he might form that opinion :bolt:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I was also in Singapore last weekend. Drink prices were insane so pretty much only had Tigers during happy hour.

I hit peak craft beer last year... just gone back to lagers and pilsners now. So over drinking a bucket of flowers.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've never been a lager fan and only just tolerate pilsners. I still enjoy the hoppy IPAs but given the chance I prefer something with deeper toffee/malty character that balances a piney hop flavor.

India black ales, porters, brown ales, etc are good for finding that balance as are reds.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There is a whole world of not overly hopped craft beers. Lagers, pilsners, stouts, porters, ambers, sours, gose, saison and more.
It's not all about IPAs
My thought exactly. I can't stand hopped-to-the-shithouse IPAs, might as well be drinking paint stripper. Give me a nice malt-driven brew any day. And in winter, something so dark you can't even shine a torch through.