Whats the best beer you've had & why?

stirk

Burner
Capital Summit Session XPA is pretty awesome, plenty of those will go down over Xmas. Canberra beers are killing it lately.

Bentspoke is about to release Cluster 8 in cans again too.
A mate told me the capital evil red IPA is really good, I went to buy a 4 pack yesterday but could not bend over far enough to take the $29 price tag. Is capital's beers so good I should just lube up and take it?

Personally enjoying my own homebrew more than most beers I can buy.

One noticeable standout I've recently had on tap at the pumphouse in sydney is feral brewing biggie juice, packs a fruity hop hit and is so quaffable.

https://www.feralbrewing.com.au/beer/biggie-juice/

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A mate told me the capital evil red IPA is really good, I went to buy a 4 pack yesterday but could not bend over far enough to take the $29 price tag. Is capital's beers so good I should just lube up and take it?

One noticeable standout I've recently had on tap at the pumphouse in sydney is feral brewing biggie juice, packs a fruity hop hit and is so quaffable.

It should be $29 for a sixer, $25 if you look around a bit, don't think they do 4 packs. The best I've got on the XPA is $21.99 but it's a 3.5% so cheaper anyway. The Evil Eye is a nice red IPA, it's definitely a bit different to Benstpoke's Red Nut. I don't rate the Coast Ale (just not one I like) but the passionfruit one they had out there last time was awesome.

Been so fucking lazy on the homebrew front lately, last I made was a honey lager and it was superb, it was done for International Homebrew Day and I won the popular vote in the club. With the break coming, better pull my finger out, just need to reshuffle the fermenting fridge from being the excess food for Xmas fridge.

Anything from Feral is nice. As it happens, Feral, Balter and Stone and Wood are all ex Canberra Brewers (as in the home brew club) as are Pact, Zierholz and Bentspoke.

Living dangerously...
Crazy how easily it goes down for such a big beer.

I say I moved here 18 years ago for the riding but it turned out good on the beer front too.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Abswolutely DO NOT pay that much. I know I get it cheap at the local bottlo as they support local brewers and there's less transportation to follow but I'm paying $4.90 for a SINGLE tin down here. That 4-pack has them at over $7 per tin...., in a 4 pack!

Tell 'em they're dreamin'!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It should be $29 for a sixer, $25 if you look around a bit, don't think they do 4 packs. The best I've got on the XPA is $21.99 but it's a 3.5% so cheaper anyway. The Evil Eye is a nice red IPA, it's definitely a bit different to Benstpoke's Red Nut. I don't rate the Coast Ale (just not one I like) but the passionfruit one they had out there last time was awesome.

Been so fucking lazy on the homebrew front lately, last I made was a honey lager and it was superb, it was done for International Homebrew Day and I won the popular vote in the club. With the break coming, better pull my finger out, just need to reshuffle the fermenting fridge from being the excess food for Xmas fridge.

Anything from Feral is nice. As it happens, Feral, Balter and Stone and Wood are all ex Canberra Brewers (as in the home brew club) as are Pact, Zierholz and Bentspoke.

Crazy how easily it goes down for such a big beer.

I say I moved here 18 years ago for the riding but it turned out good on the beer front too.

I've only made it to one of the Canberra Brewers nights - the one where people brought in rhizomes to hand out. Timing hasn't been so good, some of the education sessions haven't interested me and I don't really know anyone so spent my time standing around looking like a dingleberry. I like the club and I understand how much effort things like that require, but I think it could be run a little more creatively than what it is at the moment.

My new setup:

I really should be posting this in the home brew thread....

Reactions: PJO

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Abswolutely DO NOT pay that much. I know I get it cheap at the local bottlo as they support local brewers and there's less transportation to follow but I'm paying $4.90 for a SINGLE tin down here. That 4-pack has them at over $7 per tin...., in a 4 pack!

Tell 'em they're dreamin'!
You hitting up Plonk? I need to stock up

I really should be posting this in the home brew thread....
Unless its the best beer you've ever had ;)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yep, Plonk. They are a boutique specialty shop and are still cheaper than Dan Murphy's and the big chains.

Speaking to some reps of interstate craft breweries, I'm told that any savings Plonk receive from the brewers (such as transportation and whatever else), Plonk pass onto the consumer instead of keeping for themselves. They also offer unbeatable prices on BentSpoke, Capital, Pact, etc. as they support the local brewers. I don't have a commercial relationship with them, just privvy to the info.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
@johnny, anyone ever tell you not to use gas indoors? Like your setup and hope your ventilation system is equally as sophisticated!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I open the garage door at one end and a large sliding door at the other end. Pretty high ceiling with lots of gaps in places as well as vents in brickwork around the walls as it's an extension. I'll likely grab a blower fan to stick at one of the doors for still days in winter.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yep, Plonk. They are a boutique specialty shop and are still cheaper than Dan Murphy's and the big chains.
That is great info, I'll be down over xmas and fortunately have to go to Pushys in Fyshwich to collect a kids bike so this Plonk outfit will be getting a wedge of my hard earned.

PJO

in me vL comy
Nice set up @johnny . I notice you are using gas for heating, what is the insulation you have around the mash tun and how fire proof is it. I also have a gas set up and have always found it difficult to get insulation that suits, currently using rock wool but it isn't ideal.

My new setup:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah @johnny the club can be hit and miss, and a bit cliquey. Got good contacts for brewing gear and ingredients, and a few mates there now is the main reason I stick around, and I look after their web stuff as there's not any other webbish dudes wanting to volunteer.

Nice setup, I'm running a Mk1 Robobrew these days, so simple and makes excellent beer. We're super lucky to have Plonk, great guy who I've known for a long time. Page Bottler goes pretty good too, Candamber in Weston also decent, generally great prices at IGA in Kambah on the local beers too (opposite the Super School).

Did everyone vote in GABS? I put Crankshaft 1, Capital SSXPA 2, Pact Mt Tennent 3, Two Birds Kiss from a Gose 4, Zierholz German Ale 5.

Sadly the Wig and Pen is shutting its doors on 31 Dec. The beer one of the Canberra Brewers guys made (as winner of the Wig and Pen trophy you get to make your winning brew at Wig and Pen) is going back on tap before the shut down, it's a Belgian Westvleteren style called WestBelconnen and quite nice.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That is great info, I'll be down over xmas and fortunately have to go to Pushys in Fyshwich to collect a kids bike so this Plonk outfit will be getting a wedge of my hard earned.
You won't be disappointed, they have a massive range of everything and always something on special, often get things like 25 dollar Rogue Ales for 15.

Back on topic, if I had to pick one amazing beer this is it:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Big double sliding door just next to that ladder.

Shit the bed, don't worry about the big double sliding door, I'd be more worried about the big home made stabby thing on the bench...you could rock up next to Paul Hogan and genuinely say "that's not a knife, this, is a knife".

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah @johnny the club can be hit and miss, and a bit cliquey. Got good contacts for brewing gear and ingredients, and a few mates there now is the main reason I stick around, and I look after their web stuff as there's not any other webbish dudes wanting to volunteer.

Nice setup, I'm running a Mk1 Robobrew these days, so simple and makes excellent beer. We're super lucky to have Plonk, great guy who I've known for a long time. Page Bottler goes pretty good too, Candamber in Weston also decent, generally great prices at IGA in Kambah on the local beers too (opposite the Super School).

Did everyone vote in GABS? I put Crankshaft 1, Capital SSXPA 2, Pact Mt Tennent 3, Two Birds Kiss from a Gose 4, Zierholz German Ale 5.

Sadly the Wig and Pen is shutting its doors on 31 Dec. The beer one of the Canberra Brewers guys made (as winner of the Wig and Pen trophy you get to make your winning brew at Wig and Pen) is going back on tap before the shut down, it's a Belgian Westvleteren style called WestBelconnen and quite nice.
Really, Wig and Pen is closing? I’m sitting in their beer garden as we speak?

Got to say, the venue sucks - sure it’s not an easy business to locate, though. Will be a great pity to see them go as they are walking distance from work! I do think they needed to lift their game a little too. I like their beers, but when you place them next to the new generation of local craft beers, they struggle to keep up.

Wonder what they will do with all their kit. Don’t want to be a vulture or anything but if kit is on fire sale I’m not one to miss out due to sentimentality.

If you look closely, my HLT is a MKI robobrew.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nice set up @johnny . I notice you are using gas for heating, what is the insulation you have around the mash tun and how fire proof is it. I also have a gas set up and have always found it difficult to get insulation that suits, currently using rock wool but it isn't ideal.
I have sarking (silver stuff under your roof tiles) covered by yoga Matt. Not at all fire proof, so I use a couple of tin plates for heat shielding. It actually works very well, even with recirculation I still only drop about a degree an hour. I think the sarking makes a big difference.

Reactions: PJO