Whats the best beer you've had & why?

RCOH

Eats Squid
Heineken does have a flavour, it tastes like heineken :wink:

Perhaps I was being harsh on Carlton Draught but this one time (at band camp), I ordered an almighty RESCHS & the poor misguided soul of a bar tender gave me a carlton. 1/2 an hour later when the convulsions had stopped & I had cleansed my body of the foul ale (by drinking more RESCHS) I swore never to touch the noxious drop again. :D

6UL DV8

Likes Bikes
I had a beer with a chili in the bottle once. Not sure if they brew it with chili or just chuck in a chili when they bottle it. Very very tasty. But normally Becks or Coopers. As said before no sugar and no 222(or whatever number) preservative, so no hangover. You piss brown from the Coopers but.

spuddy

Likes Dirt
Mahoney_007 said:
RCOH said:
Reschs is THE shit.

Also Heineken tall cans, Becks Bier, Coopers Red Longnecks drunk from paperbag, Corona is nice but only in summer, Peroni, VB is good in a pinch.

NEVER: Tooheys fuckin Dirt, Carlton 'worst beer ever' Draught.
WTF? Worst beer ever? C'mon I think your being a bit harsh. What about XXXX or Fosters? Or possibly even Hein"where is the taste"eken. :wink:
Carlton 'im really shit' Draught vs Hein 'ooooh fark im drinking water' eken. Match of the year?

Ryan

Radministrator
Carlton Draught is without a doubt the worst beer ever created by human hands. I would rather inject human faeces into my eyeball than drink it ever again. Corona is kind of like real beer, only made for girls, if you need to put a lemon in it to be able to stomach it, it's not a good beer.

Onto the good stuff:

Coopers Pale and Coopers Sparkling are both fantastic from the bottle and are damn close to perfection (in my books) off the tap. Pikes Oakbank Lager is another personal favourite of mine which also happens to come from South Australia, though not many bottle shops here in Brisbane stock it. (Good beer, good riding, good hip hop and decriminalised pot, if Adelaide wasn't so shit-boring I'd move there in a second ;) )

I had my first Reschs just this past weekend and it was nowhere near as vile as my friends from Lismore built it up to be, actually quite drinkable but a bit on the watery / tasteless side of things for my liking. I drank the Real Bitter but I understand there are a few varieties of it out there.

As far as imported beer goes my current favourite is Stella Artois. Crack one of those puppies, whack on a goofy smile and say "git" and "twat" alot and you'll feel just like a slower and less talented Steve Peat.

Last but not least, XXXX Bitter and VB are first and second choices for "cheap, domestic, I just want to get slaughtered" beers. VB is a lot closer to being a real bitter than XXXX in my books, but one-eyed patriotism demands that XXXX occupies my top spot.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
6UL DV8 said:
I had a beer with a chili in the bottle once. Not sure if they brew it with chili or just chuck in a chili when they bottle it. Very very tasty. But normally Becks or Coopers. As said before no sugar and no 222(or whatever number) preservative, so no hangover. You piss brown from the Coopers but.
Sorry dude but 222 and sugar do not contribute to hangovers. Neither does mixing drinks or any of that kind of stuff.

Hangovers: Ethanol is the form of alcahol that we drink, enzymes in our digestive system brake ethanol down into formaldehyde and methanol. Methanol is poisonous to humans so if we get too much in our system at once, our body attempts to purge itself of it. This is why we can vomit if we drink too much or drink too fast. Formaldehyde is less poisonous and is excreted through the urine, but formaldehyde is also a diuretic. This means that it drags fluid/water out with it (probably a process via the kidneys ie: kidneys force fluid into the bladder to make you piss therefore purging the body of formaldehyde. Bit of a guess on that one tho). This is how we come to be dehydrated/hungover. There is also another part of hangovers, the missed sleep, the diet of chips and dodgy kebabs, cigarette smoke both first and second hand, but the largest non-intake contributor to hangovers is missing you regular sleep pattern. One night on the turps, not getting to sleep until 7am and then waking up at 3pm is akin to international flights and jetlag via altering your circadian rhythm (this is a job done by the suprachiasmatic nucleus found atop of the brainstem, it regulates our sleeping patern). Drink a large amount of water either during pub visits or before you hit the sack and you will negate at least 85% of the hangover feeling. Sometimes a pre-bedsybies berocca can help as well! BTW, if 222 gave you hangovers you'd wake up with a sore head from drinking fruit juice and many other food stuffs where it may be found!

Another urban myth is that beer bellies come from "what we eat when we are drunk" as in nuts, chips, kebabs, pizza, McshitballDonalds etc. WRONG! Beer, spirits and most mixers have a very high sugar content, if this energy input is not balanced out by energy output ie: excercise, your pancreas will release insulin which will turn any excess energy (glycogen) into energy reserves, FAT! Also, alcahol itself has 8 calories per gram, that's really high considering that protien has only for calories per gram! Once again, if you don't burn this off, you will store it as fat. Bottom line, alcahol is highly fattening!

Ryan challenged himself with:
Carlton Draught is without a doubt the worst beer ever created by human hands. I would rather inject human faeces into my eyeball than drink it ever again.
So does that mean if I come around with a case of Carlton and a syringe full of poo.................. :shock: :lol:

03choko03

Likes Dirt
I cant believe no ones mentioned Pilsener Urquell, the original pilsener, from Czech, damn fine, also Czech Budweiser, nothing like the yank crap.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
03choko03 said:
I cant believe no ones mentioned Pilsener Urquell, the original pilsener, from Czech, damn fine, also Czech Budweiser, nothing like the yank crap.
And about 50c for 500ml in Prague square! Top place, top beer at top prices (stunningly beautiful women too!).

03choko03

Likes Dirt
word
went to Sedlic, out of Prague, where the bone church is and drank a local brew there tthat was oh so cheap, oh so big and oh so delicious, man the czechs know beer

Rik

logged out
johnny said:
BTW, if 222 gave you hangovers you'd wake up with a sore head from drinking fruit juice and many other food stuffs where it may be found!
But when was the last time you set out on a night of drinking copious amounts of fruit juice?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Rik said:
johnny said:
BTW, if 222 gave you hangovers you'd wake up with a sore head from drinking fruit juice and many other food stuffs where it may be found!
But when was the last time you set out on a night of drinking copious amounts of fruit juice?
I used to drink four litres of Orange/passionfruit juice a day (until I realised that "fruit" sugar is really no different than refined cane sugar), added to my frosty fruit addiction I think that would qualify as "copious".

No hangovers there!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Hey wasn't that beer the official sponser of the most recent coup attempt in Fiji?

:D

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
johnny said:
Hey wasn't that beer the official sponser of the most recent coup attempt in Fiji?

:D

Yes, I think it was.... and they used the D8 as a battering ram to get through the gates :lol:[/quote]

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Joem said:
Yes, I think it was.... and they used the D8 as a battering ram to get through the gates :lol:
Speight, the prefered beer for 9 out of 10 Pacific revolutionaries!

:lol: :lol:

naz

Criminally Inane
johnny said:
03choko03 said:
And about 50c for 500ml in Prague square! Top place, top beer at top prices (stunningly beautiful women too!).
beer goggles?