Whats the best beer you've had & why?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
For celiacs, why would you bother?

If the low level (below measurable) of gluten related proteins in brewed beer is a big problem for you, drink wine. You can't trust gluten free labels at all - it's bullshit driven by fucking paleo dickheads. Either taste test beers ( obviously avoiding hazy and wheat additive beers), or take up wine only.

scblack

Leucocholic

Not sure which is the best wheat beer yet, but at around a buck each here! it's a crime not to try them all. Currently roughly in order of preference.
Looking nice, very jealous. I reckon my favourite is a dunkel weissbier, my first pic when I visit a Bavarian Bier Café.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Brew your own. Add Clarity Ferm and you will have negligible gluten content.
"A Clarity-Ferm treated beer made from barley or wheat usually tests below 20 ppm of gluten, the current international standard for gluten free."
Gotta be more careful than that. You can't test for the principal protein of barley, so they use a test for wheat gluten protein ( can't remember their names), which is why the " gluten free" moniker is of dubious use for celiacs. Depends on disease severity of course

stirk

Burner
Gotta be more careful than that. You can't test for the principal protein of barley, so they use a test for wheat gluten protein ( can't remember their names), which is why the " gluten free" moniker is of dubious use for celiacs. Depends on disease severity of course
In here.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/798/1/A-Word-on-Gluten-and-Beer/Page1.html

As this relates to beer, there is a gluten protein found in barley. This protein is known as hordein. Wheat gluten is known as gliadin. Rye gluten is known as secalin. Presently, assay tests (or lab tests) are only commercially available for the testing of gliadin. We are unaware of any tests for hordein or any manufacturer that presently tests for hordein

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Okay so I've literally looked at this thread for 30 seconds so apologies if the answer is elsewhere buuuuttt....

...Weihenstephaner Vitus. Used to be able to get it and it's completely epic in every way - I would consider it my favourite (just). However I haven't seen it stocked anywhere for a number of years. This makes me sad.

Is anyone else aware of it?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Who and where is this shredden you speak of??
There are only enough goats for one in this world, they shall all be mine!!
Well you'll be taking second slops then I guess .....

;D

I could have mentioned it was only one goat, but they all say that

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Thanks gents, off to the Rewe getrinktmarkt now, I'll see how I go.
German beer prices are so reasonable (particularly given the amazing beers on offer). Here's a pick from our "local" Rewe from last year:

Anywhere from 0.79 to 0.99 euro per 0.5L bottle makes drinking your way round Bavaria cheaper than living in Australia.

If you can, see if you can sample any of the ice beers. They may be harder to get now its summer time in Germany, but well worth a taste.

I'm consoling myself on not being over there by drinking a Weihenstephaner Traditional Bayrisch Dunkel. Not as nice as the Schneider Tap 6, but a good drop nevertheless.

Actually got this from Dan Murphys. It's good to see some imported beers making it back on the shelves.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
German beer prices are so reasonable (particularly given the amazing beers on offer). Here's a pick from our "local" Rewe from last year:

Anywhere from 0.79 to 0.99 euro per 0.5L bottle makes drinking your way round Bavaria cheaper than living in Australia.

If you can, see if you can sample any of the ice beers. They may be harder to get now its summer time in Germany, but well worth a taste.

I'm consoling myself on not being over there by drinking a Weihenstephaner Traditional Bayrisch Dunkel. Not as nice as the Schneider Tap 6, but a good drop nevertheless.

Actually got this from Dan Murphys. It's good to see some imported beers making it back on the shelves.
Saw-that-today,-they're-pilsner-is-godly