Whats the best beer you've had & why?

santacruz03

Cannon Fodder
Had an awesome beer the other day called Schofferhofer

Nice and strong classic German weissbier
Schoffer or Erdinger are damn fine German Weissiez.. In terms of a Pale, I love Wicked Elf from the Port Mac! It’s been a while but distinctly remember the complex traditional ale taste and gets me straight in the beer drinking mood ✊

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
OK I was being a bit sweeping in my last statement about craft beer. There are of course great ones, and a whole variety. But its also overwhelming how many there are nowadays. And so many of them do taste the same to me now (mostly the pale ales), so its harder to justify the price of them. I'd rather fuss over my red wines and keep my beers simple.

However, one of my favourite beers is a craft lager (from time in South Africa):

buy-beer.jpg

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Not an IPA

IMG_0484.jpg

Trying to compete with our local craft brew hipster (without beard, but probably with wastecoat), though I don't think about it early enough to take a photo before I've drunk it....

Anyway, it's a pilsener, however it is cloudy as (no, that's not my backwash) and tastes like a cross between a Belgian blonde and an IPA

So I look on the bottle and it says,

"A blend of a dopplebock and an IPA" but it's called a pilsener so I'm standing by that description.

And here's a picture of Johnny

IMG_0485.JPG

Ok, so maybe only a cartoon likeness ;)

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Bought this as I think the label is cool in a Retro gaming sort of way.

With an ALC/vol 6.5% it packs a punch and has a strong hop bitterness, not too bitter but bordline for my tastes. Best drunk with a big bowl of hot chips and spicy buffalo wings I think.

Attachments

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
OK I was being a bit sweeping in my last statement about craft beer. There are of course great ones, and a whole variety. But its also overwhelming how many there are nowadays. And so many of them do taste the same to me now (mostly the pale ales), so its harder to justify the price of them. I'd rather fuss over my red wines and keep my beers simple.

However, one of my favourite beers is a craft lager (from time in South Africa):

View attachment 340348
Can't believe I've only just found this thread... must be the new RB look.

I'm with you droenn when you said you hit craft beer peak - if you drink enough of them they become the 'norm' and the difference between one beer and the next becomes harder to distinguish. I also find that, as much as a single boutique beer may appeal to you when you have the odd one, they are simply too much to session on. For example, a couple of schooners of S&W Pacific Ale fresh from the keg is ridiculously enjoyable, but go buy a carton to drink with a couple of mates at home and it becomes a bit of a chore after a few.

I can't name all the ones I've tried, but see there are some common favourites here - Pirate Life Pale and their Throwback (3.5%) are current staples, and when Dan Murphy's had 4 Pines Pale on sale recently I reacquainted myself with them to a fair degree - that would have to be my go-for brew at present. Little Creatures Pale is another, and I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada as well. Golden ales are a good change from hoppy pales - Endeavour is delicious, and even James Squire GA rates well with my taste buds, if not my sphincter the next day.

From memory johnny, that Balter brown you drank a few pages ago is from Mick Fanning's brewery - seems everyone is getting on board with craft beer.

Could I suggest we also mention here some outlets with a good range of craft beers to help each other out if we're in each other's patch on occasion - sometimes the independents have some more obscure stuff. In Brisbane, the Vine Bottle Shop in Cleveland has a massive range (>500 from memory) of craft beers, both local and exotic. Having been working in Adelaide for the latter half of this year, I can recommend the East End Cellars in the city for local craft brews and, The Edinburgh Hotel in Mitcham and also Belair Fine Wines up the hill. I'm sure johnny knows a few places in Canberra...

All said though, some of the best beers I've had are ones I've made myself. I fear to resume that hobby however as it would eat into time I could otherwise be riding, and at my age I want to be tilting the indulgence/live healthy scales in favour of the latter!

stirk

Burner
I've found a beer which closes this thread for me, I'm sure some more crackers will come along and reopen the door but I'm in love with a strange one.

Like the hot crazy matrix, the beer is hot and crazy and I'm in love! So not a keeper long term because hot crazy is too expensive to upkeep but so nice to visit once in a while.

So the beer you ask?

Dainton Brewery blood orange new England rye IPA.

IMG_20180414_135146616-1002x1336.jpg

Now I love Hoppy beers, even bitter ones, but this beer has a richness of hops this is quite different to the usual super aromatic and bitter hops of some IPA. It's a very big hop flavour but rounded and balanced. I think this is in part to the addition of the blood orange, theres a super hop hit with hints of burnt sugar, like a beer creme brulee.

I'm not familiar with this new England style and have read it can be a dividing topic but dainton for me have simply made a delicious beer with this blood orange.

The rye could be the thing, any rye recommendations?

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Speights gold medal Ale. Drank a fuckton of it one NYE in New Zealand (Wanaka), to the point where my vision was blurry leaving the pub. Woke up 7 or 8am NYD with a clear head and calm stomach. Total Win.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I’ve been really enjoying Wayards Oatis IPA - unpasteurized and unfiltered, so this might fit into @the drizzle version of “non-shitty” craft beers to compare to his PU tour experiences.

I’m enjoying a Bad Shepherd oatmeal stout from tap at the moment, fighting off the urge to have another. Losing battle...,

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I’ve been really enjoying Wayards Oatis IPA - unpasteurized and unfiltered, so this might fit into @the drizzle version of “non-shitty” craft beers to compare to his PU tour experiences.

I’m enjoying a Bad Shepherd oatmeal stout from tap at the moment, fighting off the urge to have another. Losing battle...,
Their Hazelnut Brown Ale is flippin' awesome too. Some might find flavoured beers a bit wanky, but this really works. Typical mid-level malty brown ale, with a slight sweetness and very distinct nutty overtones (rather like some people here...). Really good dessert beer when you're not up for chewing on a stout.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I hit peak craft beer last year... just gone back to lagers and pilsners now. So over drinking a bucket of flowers.
Firstly, I might be a hypocrite. But this winter weather (and a few weeks of cask ales in Scotland) has got me back on the dark beers. Still saying no to Pale Ale.

Here's yesterday's selection.

IMG_3757.jpg

danncam

Likes Dirt
They are all shite, mouldy bread with a bit of toilet water to thin it out. Yeck
I'm very un-australian this way

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nice selection there Droenn. My menu today has A PAct Brickworks Brown, a Feral Karma Citra black IPA, my own ANZAC Brown, a Capital Rockhopper IPA and a Mountain Goat Fancy Pants Amber.

If you haven't tried the Pact Brown Ale, do yourself a favour.

Beej1

Late to the party, but the tastiness of this Barley Griffin Pale Ale is helping make the clusterfuck of code behind it more manageable.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Haha nice!

(I can see the ad campaigns in the distant future....

"Don't drink and code..."

...and

"If you're caught coding over 0.05, your could lose your keyboard for up to 12 months and face criminal charges...")

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk