Whats the best beer you've had & why?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Can someone explain to me what this is all about:

because that is one of the weirdest beers ever. Sour, flat, looks like coke etc.

indica

Serial flasher
Sour, flat, looks like coke etc.
Should not be flat, should not look like coke.

Try Rodenbach if you can find it.

So fucking good. I make my own. Fermented for 6 months with all sorts of weird shit in it (yeast, bacteria)

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_70753/white-rabbit-sour-red-grand-cru-barrel-aged is very good also.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Flanders red ales are a weird beer, but shouldn't be like coke. A bit like balsamic vinegar though could be about right though.

mekros

Likes Dirt
Just gave belching beaver peanut butter stout a crack - pretty solid and if not for the price, I'd replace that with my staple bad shepherd hazelnut brown.
Had one recently and they are awesome. I'd agree, pricey but excellent to drink. My shop that stocked them has run out so I can't get any more for now.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Had one recently and they are awesome. I'd agree, pricey but excellent to drink. My shop that stocked them has run out so I can't get any more for now.
I'm a little sceptical about US beers. Some of them like Belching Beaver taste almost too good. USA foods generally taste stupidly good but a lot of it is artificial crap so to speak. Not sure if it translates to beers but still tastes damn good.

I found a small bottle shop that has pretty outrageous prices, but very broad range. You think walking in there is safe but you walk out with 4 cans and $50 short lol. Oh well drink less, but better I guess.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Should not be flat, should not look like coke.

Try Rodenbach if you can find it.

So fucking good. I make my own. Fermented for 6 months with all sorts of weird shit in it (yeast, bacteria)
It didnt resonate with me but others love it... maybe I got a bad lot of cans? @Scotty T @johnny have you guys tried it?

stirk

Burner
It didnt resonate with me but others love it... maybe I got a bad lot of cans? @Scotty T @johnny have you guys tried it?
A good Flanders red is a beautiful beer, especially on a hot day. The Rodenbach are excellent.

I was lucky to attend a pub in Sydney when half their taps were serving sours and the other half double dry hopped ales.

The sours were the standout. It's not a style one can crank out like I suspect bent spoke may have, maybe they did a quick kettle sour.

The Reds I've had range in colour from light red to dark to almost pink. They have a nice fine carbonation, maybe between champagne and ale, but never flat.

Try some good ones from experienced brewers in the style. Bent spoke are not renowned for this style.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Correct, it is no Rodenbach. Decent though, there are very few Flanders reds about, mine wasn't flat. Richard has made some good ones in the past at Wig & Pen but this is the first from Bentspoke. I think they will get better. But man, there is just nothing like a Rodenbach, Vintage, with berries, they are all just amazing and any brewery would struggle to match it.

stirk

Burner
Pretty sure it's not. It had much more funk than a kettle soured beer to me. I can find out.
I'll have to try one. Bent spoke make great beers. When I was in Canberra last year one of my favourite venues was their brew pub. Awesome beers and great food.

I've not had a Flanders red for a while and I needs some now!!! @indica do you express post kegs?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
My sort of thread!
Booze bud has been a friend during covid times. Really enjoying some beers from:
Hop Nation - Jedi Juice (now 'J Juice'), The Buzz, and The Heart.
Frenchies - summer xpa
Hope - West Coast IPA
3 Ravens - Super Juicy

Not as much of a fan:
Feral - BFH oaked pale ale
Young Henry's - Free the NEIPA
(both still good beers, just not my faves)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I've been cellaring standard Coopers Stout for 2 yrs... Cracking!

I missed the boat this year with COVID and putting on my Coffee Imperial Stout (I do a BIAB style thing at U Brew It)