Whats the best beer you've had & why?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Mahoney_007 said:
funk said:
I can't believe no-one's mentioned Little Creatures Pale Ale. That stuff is just the finest beer in the country!
The best thing about Little Creatures is they have dog water bowls out the front of the brewery so your dog can have a drink to! Oh the beer isn't to bad either. After you've done that go to the Sail and Anchor and order one of their 6 pack specials, (6 flavours of beers) go back to Little Creatures have one of each flavour again head down to Ciccerallos and buy fish and chips then try and drive home :wink:
If the sail and anchor of which you speak is the one in Freemantle, that's where I tried my first Red Back on tap. As a matter of fact, it's the only place I've ever had it on tap!

Ah the hazy memories :lol:

It has not been available for a while, but KB was great - anyone remember the gold can of KB?
I never got to try it, but every time I see Reg Regan (sydney charactor parody) with one it brings back all those childhood memories of collecting cans for cash! If I remember correctly, they had a dimpled can that was rather thin, is that correct?

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
Those in sydney should head to the belgian beer cafes. One in sydney, the other in the rocks. They have a choice of about 30 different beers from belgium. It's a bit pricey but alot of the beershave alcohol content's above 10% so that helps to offset the cost a little bit.

I suggest you go to the one in the rocks the bar is much less cramped and very cool.

scblack

Leucocholic
Johnny wrote:
Quote:
It has not been available for a while, but KB was great - anyone remember the gold can of KB?

I never got to try it, but every time I see Reg Regan (sydney charactor parody) with one it brings back all those childhood memories of collecting cans for cash! If I remember correctly, they had a dimpled can that was rather thin, is that correct?
That's the one - I remember it as a sort of crinkly metal, and I do believe it was the first beer my dad ever gave me, when we were out fishing somewhere, ahh the days.

Rik

logged out
Gonzo said:
I suggest you go to the one in the rocks the bar is much less cramped and very cool.
1L stein, 9% alcohol, ZONK. Best way to start and end a night in one swift maneuvre.

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
Rik said:
Gonzo said:
1L stein, 9% alcohol, ZONK. Best way to start and end a night in one swift maneuvre.

I think thats the lowenbrau where they have the 1L steins. Just down the road from the belgian beer.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Re: Best beer

ja_har said:
Best beer ever is always the next one you are about to have..........
this is true...sometimes....

Anyone had a cascade dark ale??

very nice beer indeed, very smooth rich flavour 8)

jakie

Likes Dirt
Munchen all the way!!
I havent actually tasted this stuff but....
A few days ago i was at this wholesale bottle store with my dad. They had in the back corner a few 6s of Munchen with this giant 1 litre glass above it, just like the ones from Octoberfest. I went up to the counter and asked how much the glass was by itself. The cashier lady went out to the manager came back and said i could have it for free!!!!! Yay!! :D :D
I think it might have something to do with my dad spending $200+ that day. :p

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Gonzo said:
Those in sydney should head to the belgian beer cafes. One in sydney, the other in the rocks. They have a choice of about 30 different beers from belgium. It's a bit pricey but alot of the beershave alcohol content's above 10% so that helps to offset the cost a little bit.

If you ever go to the Rocks Belgian Cafe and there is a guy sitting in a corner drinking a deep reddy coloured beer with a serene almost whimsical grin on his dial......that would be me.

You may remember in a few previous posts I mentioned my big night in Brussels suckin on a cherry/sherry beer. Well the BBCafe is the only place I have found that beer since. That night by myself in Brussels holds one of the happiest memories of my life (had just come from a forced 8days in New York.....yyyeeeecscsccchhhh :x from zero culture to absolute culture!) and each time I swill this beer, it takes me back again................................... :wink: :) :D 8)

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whhhaat, a beer thread? How did i miss this. I dont have one particular favourite, i have several:

James Squire
San Miguel
Samuel Adams
Bavara
Dortmunder (sp?)
Corona
Old Speckled Hen
and two hard beers to track down: Lef and Lucifer.

Oh yeah!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time to ressurect this old thread, no-one else is on at this time of day.

This thread poses one of the eternal questions, and I am on a mission in europe at the moment to answer it. I am compiling a spreadsheet of all the different beers I have tried, that I have proof of such as the bottle etc, and also of the tap beers.
So far I only have 286 bottled beers on the list and about 80 on the draught list. So I'm in the UK now doing vast research. I have just come back from Belgium and owing to the interest in previous posts I will tell you that Belgian beer is indeed exceptional. In England where I live there are many beer festivals on at the moment where you can get "Real Ale". Something we lack in Australia.
For Example:
Timothy Taylors Landlord, Thomas Hardy's Ale, Spitfire, Brewers Gold,
Innes & Gunn, Deuchars.(I know the last two are Scottish)
Before anyone gets their back up, I do like Aussie beer too. Some of the favourites are:
Boags Honey Porter, Coopers Sparkling, Little Creatures.
Belgium:
Deus, Kwak, Gulden Draak, Gouden Carolus, St Bernards Abt12. There are far too many to name.
No Stella you may say? Stella is the devils work, especially the crap they brew here in England. Although alot of lager is the devils work.
Germany;
Warsteiner, Schneider Aventinus.

I could go on for days, it's a subject I think we all feel very deeply about, so well worth the effort.
The key is kids, try as many as you can! There is sooooooo much more than the awful top pressure crap you find in most pubs. Look a little further.
I think this mission of mine will take about 7years 9months and 14days, to complete Europe. Everyone should have a goal.

All that effort, I need a beer. I think it'll be an Old Peculier.
Cheers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pete J

loves his dog
As long as it gets me drunk then it's a good beer imo! :p

Seriously though, i have a thing for Coopers Sparkling Ale, it is definitely one of my favourites. Or then any number of German/Belgian beers simply because of their purity laws!

And this Finnish one is ok too.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last Finnish one i had was in Sweden, called Karhu. Drinking there is rather expensive.

Pete J

loves his dog
Fatman said:
Last Finnish one i had was in Sweden, called Karhu. Drinking there is rather expensive.
Karhu is ok, tis a bit like VB in Australia though. I like Lapin Kulta the most out of all the regulars.
Drinking here is only expensive when you are in a bar or a club, otherwise it's hella cheap when you buy from the supermarket!!! You can get a sixpack for 5 something euros!
Drinking is a bit of a national sport here, never have i ever seen so many people in as bad shape as i have seen on the streets of Helsinki!! It's like Melbourne Cup day every weekend! And during midsummer festival time the nations leading cause of death is alcohol related drowning. People go out on their boats to their summer cottages, get shitfaced, fall into the water and drown. One weekend last year 18 or so people died that way! :eek:
And i've never seen so many people wearing these things either. (resulting from drunken falls)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Fatman said:
Time to ressurect this old thread, no-one else is on at this time of day.

This thread poses one of the eternal questions, and I am on a mission in europe at the moment to answer it. I am compiling a spreadsheet of all the different beers I have tried, that I have proof of such as the bottle etc, and also of the tap beers.
So far I only have 286 bottled beers on the list and about 80 on the draught list. So I'm in the UK now doing vast research. I have just come back from Belgium and owing to the interest in previous posts I will tell you that Belgian beer is indeed exceptional. In England where I live there are many beer festivals on at the moment where you can get "Real Ale". Something we lack in Australia.
For Example:
Timothy Taylors Landlord, Thomas Hardy's Ale, Spitfire, Brewers Gold,
Innes & Gunn, Deuchars.(I know the last two are Scottish)
Before anyone gets their back up, I do like Aussie beer too. Some of the favourites are:
Boags Honey Porter, Coopers Sparkling, Little Creatures.
Belgium:
Deus, Kwak, Gulden Draak, Gouden Carolus, St Bernards Abt12. There are far too many to name.
No Stella you may say? Stella is the devils work, especially the crap they brew here in England. Although alot of lager is the devils work.
Germany;
Warsteiner, Schneider Aventinus.

I could go on for days, it's a subject I think we all feel very deeply about, so well worth the effort.
The key is kids, try as many as you can! There is sooooooo much more than the awful top pressure crap you find in most pubs. Look a little further.
I think this mission of mine will take about 7years 9months and 14days, to complete Europe. Everyone should have a goal.

All that effort, I need a beer. I think it'll be an Old Peculier.
Cheers.

Whilst you're there check out Monty Python's Holy Ale (made from real witches) It tastes ace and comes in a really cool bottle.

Also you should go to the other end of the spectrum and check out the wino fuel such as Carlsberg Special Brew, Tennents Super and Scotland's second national drink, Buckfast (technically a dodgy wine but lethal nonetheless)

For the Record My handle probably gives the game away as to my personal favourite but can I also mention the following:

Guinness (not the Nigerian stuff though-pure lolly water)

Kronenbourg Grand Cru

Rubbel Sexy Lager (cool bottle as well)

But the best beer I ever did had would of been a glass of Castle Lager in the Continental Hotel, Luanda, Angola.

I'd been stuck on a drilling rig in mega tropical heat for the previous six and a half weeks and I'd worked up a hell of a thirst by the time we got back on the beach!

MrPlow

TMBC
In the South of Germany their is a micro Brewery (there is heaps of them!)
That I have stayed at twice now, once in 2000, then again this year.
Awesome beer! In Germany they have the purity laws, alowing only select ingredients in their beer BY LAW. No sugar.

1litre stein's from
Brauerei Pfister in Weigelshofen:D

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There has to be sugars (or grain which contain sugars) in beer. The yeast feeds on the sugars in the wert and, as a by product, produces alcohol.