Whats the best chain lube?

marc.r

Likes Dirt
rock n roll bulk packs are again choice..

I used to use gold but i think the last time i ordered they only had blue.

i think the difference is blue is a little heavier and thicker.

from what I remember gold = good for summer blue = good for winter/mud/watery conditions.

that being said. I havent had trouble with blue all year round.

main issue with lubes is using them right and making sure it gets in all the pins and links not just on the surface.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I use RNR Gold, but never really known how often to reapply on the MTB when riding in dry.. eg. how many KM would you wait before applying again?
Cheers
Joel

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Muc Off have a really nice wet lube.
Have tried heaps of the others. Contrary to popular choice, I am not a huge fan of any of the dry or wax based lubes. I think a wet lube is a much better option if applied correctly by applying it to every link and then ensuring all excess is removed.

That way the lube is where you want it, lubricating the internal surfaces, not attracting crap.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Stihl Bar and Chain oil. ( For Chainsaws) dribble on, wipe excess off and away you go. Buy a litre it'll last you ages.

thanypoo

Likes Bikes
Always been a Tri-Flow person. Seems to work and my store never had anything else. Can make a bit of a mess sometimes though in my opinion. Could just be because I need to clean my bike more often and I live in the dustiest place on the face of the planet.

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
+1 for Squirt. Last for a long time and doesn't pick up junk.

I will be trying Boeshield after I finish my big bottle of Squirt.

Tigger75

Likes Bikes
Bought rnr gold at the bike shop today they had all three blue red and gold all lined up next to each other according to the shop mechanic the only difference is the amount of wax with gold having the most which was clearly evident in the bottle.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Stihl Bar and Chain oil. ( For Chainsaws) dribble on, wipe excess off and away you go. Buy a litre it'll last you ages.
It's not very sticky, and pretty expensive. That's why most arborists use motor oil instead. Chainsaws have it being pumped on continuously, so it's designed to lube, but not stick like Bike chain lubes.
I'm using Green Oil, seems do be doing the job.

hathill

Likes Dirt
25% synthetic gear oil diluted with wax and grease remover. Smells bad but it's cheap like me.
Lasts for ages. Whack a bit of Nulon in it if you get really fussy.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Lot of RNR fans here ... I'm not one of them. Seem to get very few ks out of it.

Progold is my mtb lube of choice. Lubes better than RNR in my experience and keeps the drivetrain nice and clean.

Triflow is a great lazy man's commuter lube ... Once a week is heaps. Not super clean drivetrain through.

Keen to try bike milk stuff as have heard good things. Local company too apparently.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
It's not very sticky, and pretty expensive. That's why most arborists use motor oil instead. Chainsaws have it being pumped on continuously, so it's designed to lube, but not stick like Bike chain lubes.
I'm using Green Oil, seems do be doing the job.
It's not ment to be too sticky, thats why it works, not much grit gets stuck to it. Not cheap??? Tell me where I can get 1L of chain lube for about $10 your green oil is about that for 100ml.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's not ment to be too sticky, thats why it works, not much grit gets stuck to it. Not cheap??? Tell me where I can get 1L of chain lube for about $10 your green oil is about that for 100ml.
It is meant to stick but. Otherwise any oil would do. Chain saw oil isn't designed to stick like chain lube. But still, if only $10 a liter, used every ride, it'd possibly work depending.........
I bulk buy any lube I use and get it cheap. Otherwise I'd try a home brew like above, or chain saw oil with something sticker mixed with it. Maybe motorbike chain lube. Ones too thin, the other too sticky, might be a good brew.
I'm also running bikes with gearboxes. So although important, the chains don't get half the workout as a bike with mech.

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I used to use squirt and love it for the thick protection it gives but even when you wipe off the excess it still seems to clog up around the jockey wheels etc too much.

I moved to a shimano wet lube for something different and liked it. Have to apply more often but doesn't gunk up the drive line.

Am trying the much off ceramic dry lube now and it is good but has the same issues as squirt

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I was using Muck Off dry chain lube... race PTFE or something like that.
It dries white, it's sticky... but it doesn't do that great of a job.
Doesn't last that long, and the drivetrain is a little noisy.

Lately I just got a dropper syringe and ran some 2 stroke oil along the chain... gets black easily, but when degreaser is $2 a can it's not that big a deal.

Plus my drivechain is almost entirely silent now. :)