Whats the best chain lube?

ming

Likes Bikes
I won a bottle of Pure wet lube, and tried it in really wet conditions recently. Fantastic for this purpose! Really sticky, like chainsaw bar oil, it pulled little streamers as the chain ran through the jockey wheels. 2 hour race through mud, rain and puddles; no chain problems at all. Quick rinse in a creek and the drivetrain was clean:)

Used it again a few days later for a muddy but not so wet race and still did a great job, but the drivetrain ended up dirty.

I hate to imagine what it would end up like on a dusty ride...

Still, for wet riding, recommended.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
I use the BOESHEILD T-9 on advice from a LBS, just don't go overboard on it. I'm pretty anal about looking after my chain, i clean it thoroughly after every ride and so far the BOESHIELD has been better than the ProGold I was using on advice from another LBS.
Another vote for the T9 here - needs a bit of time to soak and set though.

just clean your chain at the end of a ride and reapply. Then before next ride, clean excess off and ride! Rides clean in pretty much all conditions - which we get here in Hobart...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm resurrecting this thread. :ranger:

Can anyone recommend a dry chain lube that keeps the drivetrain pretty clean? I don't mind reapplying every ride.

I've just tried Triflow (again) and RocknRoll Blue and was disappointed with both. A lot of crap built up on the drivetrain with those two.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ivan, clean I think relates to 2 things
Use a wax based dry lube, eg squirt, gold etc
Apply it, run the chain for a few minutes then wipe off the excess - this will keep the chain dry and less dust and shit to stick to it

When finished riding, wash it.

A few people here also get in the habit of washing their bike, drying off the chain, then reapplying the lube, running it through then lightly wiping off the excess - the advantage is that it's completely dry before your next ride

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Ivan FWIW, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to drivetrain cleaning and have been happy with Squirt - have been using it since 2011, time flies!

I lube the chain off the bike whenever it needs it (after several rides usually, depending on conditions, length of rides). A quicklink in the chain makes getting the chain off/on a snap, especially the KMC Missing Link - can do it by hand. I hang the chain off a nail and pretty much drown it in Squirt (use Mechanic size bottle - lasts ages and is good value $), gently blow off excess lube then let it dry/set e.g. overnight, before putting the chain back on the bike. If I ever wash the bike, I do it when the chain is off getting lubed.

Using this technique the drivetrain stays pretty clean, apart from the occasional wax booger inbetween the smallest two gears on the cassette (especially if you leave too much lube on the chain before it sets).

I haven't cleaned my drivetrain in the traditional way since 2011. Like I said, lazy buggar!

My only gripe with Squirt is that IMO it isn't especially great in wetter conditions. Not a deal breaker for me as I don't ride much in the wet.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I've been using a wet ceramic lube and the build up of crud is crazy. Dry wax sounds better.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I went from rock n roll blue to squirt. Squirt is far superior IMO, although I only ride in dry conditions. Its more expensive but I feel like its lasts longer on the bike.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
White Lightning Clean Ride. Apply every second or third ride. Never clean your chain again. Not so great in the wet.

Ivan

Eats Squid
White Lightning Clean Ride. Apply every second or third ride. Never clean your chain again. Not so great in the wet.

I did try White Lightning Clean ride and went looking for something better. Maybe I was applying it too frequently or something. Anyway I found an old bottle of it in the shed tahts about one fifth full , so I'll give it another go, then I might try some Squirt.

Cheers for the recommendations.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
white Lightning is fantastic but needs to be applied frequently + I never use it in the wet/winter.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've been using rock n roll gold for a while now. It doesn't leave any residue or pickup much crud. I just reapply it after 3 or 4 rides and it keeps everything smooth and quiet.

Better than the white lightening I used to use.

Minlak

custom titis
Used to use Rock N Roll Gold now use squirt exclusively wipe chain down and lube before each ride once a month ish spend a few minutes cleaning wax build up from dérailleur and front ring. Love it

redbruce

Eats Squid
I'm resurrecting this thread. :ranger:

Can anyone recommend a dry chain lube that keeps the drivetrain pretty clean? I don't mind reapplying every ride.

I've just tried Triflow (again) and RocknRoll Blue and was disappointed with both. A lot of crap built up on the drivetrain with those two.
JD has said it already:

for me- blue in winter and gold in summer
NB: unless riding in mud, I still use gold (just better than White Lightning all 'round), just more frequently (every ride rather than when it looks like it could use it).

Blue is a wet weather lube (has molybdenum disulphide in it so will always be "dirty" in appearance.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I usually use whatever's left over in the workshop, either Morgan Blue race oil or Finish Line dry. Doing a lot of commuting km's lately, so prefer the race oil which is a wet lube. Used Rock N Roll Gold before that which was great, but expensive.