What's your chain cleaning routine?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ps , i also check the top - tensioned section of the chain and then the lower bottom section , rotate a couple of times , then check again .

Minlak

custom titis
I keep putting it off but I think I need to invest in a chain checker and a spare chain. New wheels can wait a little longer!
2 x KMC X10 chains and a chain checker for $52 at AliExpress! Now I'm staring at the checkout page wondering if I should do it or not... Does anyone else do this?
I get it if you are heavy cleaning your chain and want another chain on your bike while you do it - otherwise swapping chains for the sake of running 2 chains just doesn't add up to making anything last longer. If you are using quality lubes and cleaning your chain then the life you get from the cassette etc is exactly the same between 1 or 2 chains or 3 chains - I have a spare chain in case I need to swap it and or break it and will just run this chain until its at .75 on the checker - When I swap it I order a new chain.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I get it if you are heavy cleaning your chain and want another chain on your bike while you do it - otherwise swapping chains for the sake of running 2 chains just doesn't add up to making anything last longer. If you are using quality lubes and cleaning your chain then the life you get from the cassette etc is exactly the same between 1 or 2 chains or 3 chains - I have a spare chain in case I need to swap it and or break it and will just run this chain until its at .75 on the checker - When I swap it I order a new chain.
i didn't say any of that, I ordered two because I also need a chain for my other bike..

stirk

Burner
I must be doing something wrong as by the time my chain is worn the cassette is too far gone to mesh nicely with a new chain.

This does help my upgraditis problem so I'm ok with that.

Minlak

custom titis
I must be doing something wrong as by the time my chain is worn the cassette is too far gone to mesh nicely with a new chain.

Not wrong if you like to update - use it until its fucked and start new is a valid strat.

Last chain swap I decided to swap just chain at just on .75 and new chain wouldn't mesh anyway so ended up full upgrade - That is my strat going forward :)

stirk

Burner
Not wrong if you like to update - use it until its fucked and start new is a valid strat.

Last chain swap I decided to swap just chain at just on .75 and new chain wouldn't mesh anyway so ended up full upgrade - That is my strat going forward :)
We are smart

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
drenched chain in Boeshield T9 yesterday, wiped off excess, cleaned floor where lube puddle soaked through the newspaper, and let chain dry overnight.
CBF going to bunnings to get shellite to clean drivetrain(s) to kick off chain-waxing regime...soon.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid

Cassettes must be the unsexist part of a bike to change.

stirk

Burner
Cassettes must be the unsexist part of a bike to change.
I disagree. You didn't see me bending over my wheel with every muscle in my body flexing while trying to wrench the end cap off the cassette hub. I think I would have looked plenty buff and sexy at the time.

Minlak

custom titis
I disagree. You didn't see me bending over my wheel with every muscle in my body flexing while trying to wrench the end cap off the cassette hub. I think I would have looked plenty buff and sexy at the time.
That’s an image straight to the spank bank