What's your chain lube/s..?

What's your chain lube..?

• Total voters

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also wouldn't recommend those chain cleaners you fill with degreaser, it'll wash the grease out of the roller.
Actually, I dont use de-greaser to de-grease my chains, I use pro-link lube in the chain cleaner unit. Cleans and lubes in one. And faster than trying to drip the lube on every link, and you can be sure that the lube penetrates the chain. 3 or 4 turns of the cranks, quick wipe off -takes 30 seconds. All clean and lubed.....

Some may say -what a waste of lube. But if you can buy your lube in bulk, its cheaper than buying seperate de-greaser and a small bottle of lube.....

To prolong the amount of lube used in the cleaner unit, best to hose the chain off first if it is very dirty. I typically buy 250 - 500ml lube per year. Total cost is about $30. Does 7 bikes regularly. Thats cheaper than one bottle of "Orange Peelz" bike chain degreaser.....

Last edited:

BKelly

teh fast
Suprised to see Juice lubes on there as they are only new in Oz, unless people have used it overseas? (UK based company)
I highly recommend people try Juice lubes products, their flagship product is called "fork juice" and is a spray on silicon stanchion lube which greatly reduces seal friction, protects the stanchions and keeps them cleaner!
The chain lubes and other products are also very good and definately worth trying!
I am currently trying all their products and am very impressed with them all!

gixer7

Likes Dirt
I've been using chain-L no. 5 for a while now. I've been getting over 500km offroad before I need to reapply. Application is fiddly but cause it lasts so long I don't mind so much.

Chain will look very dry after a while but is still quiet and shifting fine. I'm well impressed with it.

Backup for a right now application is Rock & Roll - blue, gold & red.

I've tried heaps of different ones. I really like Pro Link for chain lube. It works really well and doesn't get too clogged up. I always wipe it back after applying it so it stays nice and smooth. Perfect for drier rides. I find the waxy lubes annoying and gluggy. The only waxy based one I've ever had good experience with is Squirt. Which works really well too as long as you start with a super clean chain to begin with. Rock n Roll Gold is pretty good too. It feels light and smooth and always works for me.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I use a general purpose lubricant called 5.56 manufactured by CRC (not chain reaction). Best chain lube ever and is relatively cheap, at about 11 dollars for a 700ml can. i highly recommend trying it, for the price you really dont have much to lose. Keeps chains very clean, smooth and grit free. i frequently ride downhill and only lube up every two or three weekends and my chain is smooth as and very shiny. it doesnt pick up dirt or dust so it also makes all your rollers last longer.

Give it a go, if it doesnt work keep it in the garage as a general purpose lube.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use a general purpose lubricant called 5.56 manufactured by CRC (not chain reaction). Best chain lube ever and is relatively cheap, at about 11 dollars for a 700ml can. i highly recommend trying it, for the price you really dont have much to lose. Keeps chains very clean, smooth and grit free. i frequently ride downhill and only lube up every two or three weekends and my chain is smooth as and very shiny. it doesnt pick up dirt or dust so it also makes all your rollers last longer.

Give it a go, if it doesnt work keep it in the garage as a general purpose lube.
Isnt CRC 5.56 same type of lube as WD40? Ive got some in the shed....wouldnt let it anywhere near my bikes, or rubber seals for that matter....or disc brakes......

Petero

Likes Dirt
How come every time u put ur bike in for service, it comes out with wet lube, dripping with sand after 24 hours
+1 on this. Might ask the bike shop to NOT lubricate my chain.

Can you just wipe down your chain and whack some dry lube on it, or would the remnants of the wet lube make this application ineffective and pointless??

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
+1 on this. Might ask the bike shop to NOT lubricate my chain.

Can you just wipe down your chain and whack some dry lube on it, or would the remnants of the wet lube make this application ineffective and pointless??
You should always thoroughly clean/degrease your chain before trying a new lube. Especially when going from a wet to a dry lube.

Sometimes the chemicals will affect each other and / or prevent the new product from doing what it's meant to do. And you'll never be able to truly guage how your new lube is acting if it's half blended in your drive train with other lube and whatever contaminates your chain may have in it already.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Isnt CRC 5.56 same type of lube as WD40? Ive got some in the shed....wouldnt let it anywhere near my bikes, or rubber seals for that matter....or disc brakes......
yeah it along with many other lubricants tend to disagree with disc brakes. I've yet to have any problems with it, can you point out some i should keep an eye out for?

Petero

Likes Dirt
You should always thoroughly clean/degrease your chain before trying a new lube. Especially when going from a wet to a dry lube.

Sometimes the chemicals will affect each other and / or prevent the new product from doing what it's meant to do. And you'll never be able to truly guage how your new lube is acting if it's half blended in your drive train with other lube and whatever contaminates your chain may have in it already.
Figured that this was the case but thought I'd ask anyway. Cheers.

redbruce

Eats Squid
You actually don't need much lube on the chain at all. The only part that really needs lubing is between the plates as this is the part of the chain that moves. This minimises the elongation of the holes in the inside plates, which is what we see as chain stretch. The plates themselves don't actually get any longer. You'll have a hard time getting any lube between the roller and the pin, they pack this with grease in the factory. I also wouldn't recommend those chain cleaners you fill with degreaser, it'll wash the grease out of the roller.
Not quite right. All chains need lubrication between the roller and pin as well as the pin and plates as these are the load bearing surfaces. Bicycle and non o ringed motor bike chains are designed to be externally lubricated.

The pins/ roller are not sealed and thus lube, along with water and dirt can and will enter the bearing area and so chains need periodic cleaning. Degreaser of what ever persuasion (organic solvent, detergent etc) and application process is perfectly acceptable for this task.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use a combination of urine and petrol to clean my chain, then i smother it in thick sump oil to ensure it doesn't wear.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And Ive just aquired some Maxima Chain Wax (spray can). Its a heavier lube for more extreme conditions (mud etc). Yet to test it out, but as it was free, cant complain.
Just bought a new chain for a S/S to 9spd convert job, and lathered the chain with the Maxima wax I got. It looks like a thicky rusty cloured oil, but you let it dry out and you get left with a film that adheres very well. Went for a ride in dusty , dirty them muddy tracks and it didnt seem to attract an excess of dirt. Rinsed chain off with hose, lubricating film stays put and loose sand/dirt washed off. No need to apply more lube just yet.

Ill give this a go for a while and see how much riding before i have to degrease and remove / re-apply lube.

I suspect this stuff is more suited to M/C chains, as it doesnt come off too easily, or for the commuter bike when you dont usually do more than the once a year or never chain clean. Might be ok for my DH bikes more so than my XC oriented ones.....I figure a high pressure water blaster wont strip all the lube out with out a degrease first.

It does however penetrate under the rollers and between the plates well, and you can feel the lube in the chain when you move the chain in your hand. I'd give it 8/10 at this point, more time and Ill update my assessment....

Last edited:

adman

Likes Dirt
I bought 4 bottles of both wet and dry Muc Off lube. Cannot recommend it enough.

Took it to adelaide and shepperton where the dust was everywhere, and the chain was clean and still lubricated at the end of each day. Mates were using all other types of tube and came back with their chains coated in crap.

As for the wet stuff, I can't say I've noticed it to be any different to other types of lube but it still works well.

The dry option is definitely worth while.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Another vote for Squirt.

Have been using Rock'n'Roll, much prefer Squirt. Shifting, chain noise etc all good, major bonus is how ultra clean it keeps the drivetrain, magic.

The time spent previously cleaning the drivetrain, now spent riding, can't knock that :)

Have written a more detailed review of Squirt at:
http://digitalhippie.net/2011/01/22/bikeinventions-squirt-wax-based-dry-lube/

View attachment 192369
It's true. I got onto the stuff and never looked back.
The freaky thing about this stuff is once you lube, you don't have to pull apart your bike and degrease your drivetrain after a month of applications and riding in the dirt.

You just reapply it when it needs it and wipe off the excess.
What I have found works best is before I apply I just give the chain a wipe first to get rid of any dust, then apply.

I havn't degreased my drivetrain in about a year and my whole drivetrain is sparkling. Seriously. The cassette is still shiny clean, and it's super quiet.

At first I was a bit worried and had to double check my chain because I was worried it was running too dry because it seemed so clean, but it was so quiet like a well lubed chain.

I fink it has dem voodoo in dem.

Magura

Likes Dirt
For long, not dusty rides - Tri-Flow. Attracts dirt like nothing else but really stays well lubricated for a long period of time. If you can be bothered to give your chain a good wipe down after a dusty ride, this is my pick.
I made some semi scientific tests of chain lube, a while back when working a coach for a mtb club.

Tri-Flow is by far better than any bike specific lube out there, no matter what conditions. Chains lasting more than twice as long in some cases, especially the FinishLine dry wax was performing poor.
The only lube that is up there with Tri-Flow according to that test, was Delta Oil No.1, but around here Delta oil is obviously putting in a lot of effort to not sell anything, and hide real well :rolleyes:
I have seen that Tri-Flow has made a few consumer oriented products, the one I tested back then was the industrial version (black spray can, orange text).
That is also the one I still use, as it sure cuts down the drivetrain budget.

Magura :)