What's your chain lube/s..?

What's your chain lube..?

• Total voters

tumble

Likes Dirt
I'm conducting a survey into what type of chain lube does everyone prefer.
Please select one or more from the poll. If the type you use is not there please choose "Other" & let me know what it is.
Also a bit of extra info such as:
Do you prefer dry or wet lube?
Have you used the one lube for a long time or have you switched from a few?
Do you often clean your chain thoroughly & re-apply?

much appreciated.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
For my chain I use squirt. I know you have it here on the poll but want to mention it anyway because it's just so good.
I prefer dry lube.
It's South African stuff and it keeps your chain super clean, and really quiet. It's called a dry lube but stays a little tacky even when 'dry'.
It dosn't last as long as a traditional wet lube, but a hell of a lot longer than dry lubes like white lightning or clean ride.
I use it year round for wet or dry conditions. I have used it for over a year.
Before I used this I used the finish line dry lube. I used to thoroughly degrease my chain EVERY time I re-lubed, but not now I use the squirt stuff. I just don't need to because it stays so clean.

I have tried just about every lube that the bike shops stock, and after years of trial and error I have found one that suits me. It is really clean, and does not attract dirt.
You don't need to degrease between applications, just wipe your chain, then apply, wipe off excess and it's sorted.

I use finish line dry wax for my cables. It's primarily a chain lube but I love it for cables. I have used for about three years.

I use castrol hi temp grease in my hubs. I know it's overkill and some would say too dense a viscosity, but if you don't too use much in your hubs it is great.
I also use this grease as an all purpose for BB's, bolt threads etc. I have used for about three years.

I don't know if it's worth a mention, but I usually use a little powdered graphite (or talc if I don't have any) on my tubes too. It helps them settle, and allows them to move inside the tyre a bit when under side loads and helps with traction when running a really low psi.

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i use 3 different chain lubes, one for the SS roadie's, 2 types for DH, and one for the other bikes.

DH (dry weather) ive just changed from white lightning wax lube to Pedros Ice Wax
its got a consistency or pva glue, its a very very nice product very good for dh as it gets in and stays in, kind of creates a barrier to stop grit and crap getting in. doesnt leave marks on your pant leg.

For wet DH i find the Pedros Syn Lube works extremely well, it seems to wick away moisture and contaminates out of the chain system, big big down side is that it leaves so much crap on your drive side pant leg, no matter how much you wipe away, it will continue to wick away and force it to the outer part of the chain where it gets brushed by your leg.

For the Roadie i use White Lightning Clean ride, this much like the ice wax doesnt leave any residue on your pant leg, that is the main reason i use it for the roadie, i dont need a lube that will work well in wet weather or create a great barrier from fine gravel or dust/dirt, so i use this one as its alot more fluid than the ice wax. it gets in easier and works well.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rock and Roll blue mainly but sometimes gold , whatever is in stock . Use for four years , tried wet lub but find it clogs the chain .

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Good to see some love for Rock n Roll. I'm an Extreme (blue) convert of about 4 years - it's the best stuff I've ever used.

I've used various wax lubes and other dry lubes and nothing came close. I've had the same drivetrain on one of my bikes for over 2 years and it's still almost as good as the day it went on. Not a sign of chain stretch anywhere!

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Im a bit of a newbie to it, but what type of chain lube should i get?
Im guessing dry for summer, wet for winter?

I will ask lbs tomorrow but whats the go with it?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what I use, by no means am I saying it's 100% correct - just what I've found to work.

For short, dry/dusty rides - Rock n Roll Gold. I find this is great, but wears off after 30-40km. Keeps the chain clean if nothing else!

For long, not dusty rides - Tri-Flow. Attracts dirt like nothing else but really stays well lubricated for a long period of time. If you can be bothered to give your chain a good wipe down after a dusty ride, this is my pick.

General use - Squirts. I'm not really sure whether I like this or not. I was given a bottle at national champs a few years back and just kinda throw it on when it's closest to hand. I've never really noticed any of the drawbacks that I find with the others though so that's probably a good thing. Should probably give it a proper crack sometime.

For wet rides - Pedros Syn Lube. Works well, haven't had much to compare it to though. Still trying to get through the bottle!

My advice would be just try what everyone else seems to be using/recommending until you find something that you like!

Jaydawgz - dry refers to a lube suited to dry weather, wet refers to lube suited for wet weather... so if it's wet in Summer, use the wet lube. And visa versa. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt

Jaydawgz - dry refers to a lube suited to dry weather, wet refers to lube suited for wet weather... so if it's wet in Summer, use the wet lube. And visa versa. :rolleyes:
That's not quite in line with what I thought..unless the lube is termed "wet weather" lube or something similar.

I was under the influence a 'dry' lube is something which doesn't require a liquid to be present to allow sufficient lubrication: Rock n Roll is a dry lube as you remove most of the liquid when you clean the dirt and crap off the chain with a rag, leaving only the lubricant behind, which is the layer of thick stuff on the bottom of the bottle. Graphite power is also another 'dry' lubricant.

A 'wet' lubricant, which you don't wipe off the chain, needs the liquid to be present in order for it to efficiently lubricate, wet lube also attracts dirt a hell of a lot easier. Dirt is naturally attracted due to a charge being formed in the bike and the dirt particles being attracted to that charge, wet lube just traps it so much easier.

With the Rock n Roll, just because you wipe the hell out of your chain straight after you put it on, it doesn't mean it's not doing what it should. The main part of the bottle is the cleaner and breaks down the dirt and brings it out for you to wipe off, the rest, the bottom few millimetres of the thick stuff stays in the links and keeps everything running nice.

That's why I use the Extreme, I'd ridden through some pretty bad shit and I traveled in excess of 100km without a lube and clean and no signs of it NEEDING a lube after a week. Generally I clean the chain every few days: you clean it for however long depending on how long you rode it and how dirty it got; ride it daily and clean it daily and it might take you 2 minutes; ride it daily and clean it monthly and you'll be there for quite a while, if you want it the same way that is.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's not quite in line with what I thought..unless the lube is termed "wet weather" lube or something similar.

I was under the influence a 'dry' lube is something which doesn't require a liquid to be present to allow sufficient lubrication: Rock n Roll is a dry lube as you remove most of the liquid when you clean the dirt and crap off the chain with a rag, leaving only the lubricant behind, which is the layer of thick stuff on the bottom of the bottle. Graphite power is also another 'dry' lubricant.

A 'wet' lubricant, which you don't wipe off the chain, needs the liquid to be present in order for it to efficiently lubricate, wet lube also attracts dirt a hell of a lot easier. Dirt is naturally attracted due to a charge being formed in the bike and the dirt particles being attracted to that charge, wet lube just traps it so much easier.

With the Rock n Roll, just because you wipe the hell out of your chain straight after you put it on, it doesn't mean it's not doing what it should. The main part of the bottle is the cleaner and breaks down the dirt and brings it out for you to wipe off, the rest, the bottom few millimetres of the thick stuff stays in the links and keeps everything running nice.

That's why I use the Extreme, I'd ridden through some pretty bad shit and I traveled in excess of 100km without a lube and clean and no signs of it NEEDING a lube after a week. Generally I clean the chain every few days: you clean it for however long depending on how long you rode it and how dirty it got; ride it daily and clean it daily and it might take you 2 minutes; ride it daily and clean it monthly and you'll be there for quite a while, if you want it the same way that is.
Sorry, you are correct. I should've been more particular with my post - I was referring to wet and dry weather lube. Looking back now that was probably what Jay was asking about... :eek:

I shouldn't post late at night... :p

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Just to make sure I know what I'm talking about...

Wet lube- Put on chain and wipe it off but the excess that stays in links attracts dirt.

Dry lube- Put on chain and leave it on.

Can someone help fill in the blanks please?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wet lube- Put on chain and wipe it off but the excess that stays in links attracts dirt.
Pretty well explained imo.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Just to make sure I know what I'm talking about...

Can someone help fill in the blanks please?
In my experience, you always wipe off the excess lube whether it is wet or dry lube. I don't mean go crazy and rub it all off, just the excess.

Dry lube will dry out enough that you can touch it or have the chain rub on your jeans and it shouldn't leave a big dirty smear behind.
Wet lube stays relatively wet on the chain, and will leave a greasy smear on anything it touches.

Dry lubes will often have a lubricating compound (like wax) suspended in an evaporating liquid.
When you apply the dry lube, it goes on wet and gets into all the links, but then the liquid (lube carrier) evaporates and leaves your chain lubed, but dry.
So you don't have to be too fussed about wiping it down too much once you have lubed as the excess lube carrier will evaporate anyway.

Some of the dry/wax based lubes like finish line leave your chain so dry it just leaves a fine white hard flaky wax and the excess wax will flake off and leave your chain very dry to the touch. But, lubes like TF2 call themselves a dry lube, but they actually don't dry out at all, they stay wet. Which just adds to the confusion.

But traditionally a wet lube goes on wet and just stays wet.
A dry lube goes on wet, but dries/excess evaporates into the air.

Last edited:

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Well I had the right idea, just got them mixed around!

By the way, what is IMO?

So in the end, what conditions for what lube?

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Pro-Link gold mostly. Its a light weight wet lube, but I find it behaves like a dry, cleans off well and lubes brilliantly, I find it doesnt attract any more dirt than a dry lube, so its good for all year all conditions. Also good for lubing all pivots and cables.
And Ive just aquired some Maxima Chain Wax (spray can). Its a heavier lube for more extreme conditions (mud etc). Yet to test it out, but as it was free, cant complain.

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
Chain lube 101

How come every time u put ur bike in for service, it comes out with wet lube, dripping with sand after 24 hours

You actually don't need much lube on the chain at all. The only part that really needs lubing is between the plates as this is the part of the chain that moves. This minimises the elongation of the holes in the inside plates, which is what we see as chain stretch. The plates themselves don't actually get any longer. You'll have a hard time getting any lube between the roller and the pin, they pack this with grease in the factory. I also wouldn't recommend those chain cleaners you fill with degreaser, it'll wash the grease out of the roller.

The less sticky lube you have on the chain the less crap will stick to it and that means less wear on the cassette and chain rings. If you keep everything clean and change chains before they get too bad (1% stretch) then you'll get three or four chains to a cassette on the road, it'll be close to that off road as well.

I use rock and roll gold on all my bikes, mountain, road, track.

Last edited: