Wheel Build Advice Thread

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Rim profile depth will determine if you can reuse the spokes; they need to be the same or bloody near diameter at the load-bearing surface inside the rim. Wall thickness will also affect it, because some carbon rims are thicker than others through the spoke bed.

The Giant hubs are their own shells with DT innards.

ausdb

Being who he is
Update on the mavic spoke issue. The acetone/oil soak did the trick and also took the paint off the end of the spoke. There seemed to be enough of the plastic washer left inside that it wasn't binding. So I put some grease on the threads and under the end of the nipple and put it back together. Jobs a goodun,

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Thought this might be the best place for this question…

With the tyre melting exhaust incident, it seems that there was enough heat conducted through the tyre to melt the gorilla tape a bit. Tyre and tape are fucked nut wheel is still true. Do I need to be worried about the integrity of the rim at all? Not sure how much heat is needed to fuck aluminium.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Update on the mavic spoke issue. The acetone/oil soak did the trick and also took the paint off the end of the spoke. There seemed to be enough of the plastic washer left inside that it wasn't binding. So I put some grease on the threads and under the end of the nipple and put it back together. Jobs a goodun,
View attachment 385790

View attachment 385791
next time those Mavic rims give you trouble, try using one of these...I did, so much easier

ausdb

Being who he is
Right next to the two French Renault's that have been giving @Haakon trouble.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I watched the grand tour carnage a trois episode with the family last week. Whilst we were all pissing ourselves laughing all I could picture in my head was @Haakon and his Renault's!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Thought this might be the best place for this question…

With the tyre melting exhaust incident, it seems that there was enough heat conducted through the tyre to melt the gorilla tape a bit. Tyre and tape are fucked nut wheel is still true. Do I need to be worried about the integrity of the rim at all? Not sure how much heat is needed to fuck aluminium.
Exhaust gas at the tip is usually between 100C and 200C. Depends on the grade of alloy what that would do. Is the exhaust directly on the rim or is it hitting the tyre and not heating the rim? I have a similar issue with the wife's bike but can get around easily enough by moving it sideways because the wheelbase is so short.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Exhaust gas at the tip is usually between 100C and 200C. Depends on the grade of alloy what that would do. Is the exhaust directly on the rim or is it hitting the tyre and not heating the rim? I have a similar issue with the wife's bike but can get around easily enough by moving it sideways because the wheelbase is so short.
Was more directed at the corner knobs, but enough heat transferred to partially melt the gorilla tape.

It’s never been an issue before but the carrier came loose and shifter to the point where the tyre was right at the exhaust.

teK--

Eats Squid
I found spokes only loosen if they aren't tight enough or even enough (per side). That said I use engine oil as spoke prep and have no issues in 3+ year old builds. And I always have access to relatively fresh engine oil.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I am going to attempt to build my first set of wheels. Might reserve a spot in f-wits thread.

Measuring ERD and getting 606 (Spank 350 29”) except for one rim where it is 610 for one measurement and 606 on the other. Using Roger Mussons method. Do I go with 606 as this is the main measurement? 606 is inline with user entered data on http://kstoerz.com/

PJO

in me vL comy
I am going to attempt to build my first set of wheels. Might reserve a spot in f-wits thread.

Measuring ERD and getting 606 (Spank 350 29”) except for one rim where it is 610 for one measurement and 606 on the other. Using Roger Mussons method. Do I go with 606 as this is the main measurement? 606 is inline with user entered data on http://kstoerz.com/
Double check your measurements. Think it would be unusual for it to be out that much. I usually measure at three points roughly 1/3 of the way round from each other and take an average.
Have built up only one Spank 350 29" rim it measured 606mm including the nipple washers and was consistent.
You might have and egg it will pull in to be the average of your measurements, just pay more attention to radial trueness.

shiny

Double check your measurements. Think it would be unusual for it to be out that much. I usually measure at three points roughly 1/3 of the way round from each other and take an average.
Have built up only one Spank 350 29" rim it measured 606mm including the nipple washers and was consistent.
You might have and egg it will pull in to be the average of your measurements, just pay more attention to radial trueness.
Thanks. Just measuring two sides. Will do 3. That was my next question when ordering spokes do I need to add a mm to allow for the washers?

PJO

in me vL comy
Thanks. Just measuring two sides. Will do 3. That was my next question when ordering spokes do I need to add a mm to allow for the washers?
Whenever I've had the washers on hand I've measured the ERD (as per Mussons method) with a washer on each nipple. If I didn't have them and was buying washers with the spokes I would add on the thickness of a washer to each spoke length.

The washers supplied with the Spank rims are about 0.8mm, DTSwiss ones that come with the higher end rims are the same thickness but shaped differently.

shiny

Whenever I've had the washers on hand I've measured the ERD (as per Mussons method) with a washer on each nipple. If I didn't have them and was buying washers with the spokes I would add on the thickness of a washer to each spoke length.

The washers supplied with the Spank rims are about 0.8mm, DTSwiss ones that come with the higher end rims are the same thickness but shaped differently.
Cheers. Only got one bag of washers with the rims so will need to order others will check their thickness and allow for that.

Reactions: PJO