Wheel Build Advice Thread

PJO

in me vL comy
Cheers. Only got one bag of washers with the rims so will need to order others will check their thickness and allow for that.
Are they vibrocore rims?
I built up a vibrocore 350 and a vibrocore 359. The 350 was an earlier model and the 359 a later model.
At the time I was confused because I only had one bag of washers but instructions for both rims talked about washers. It turned out that the later model rim had the washers already in place and held in by the vibrocore foam.
Can't remember where I found the info but there was something written up about how spank had changed the way they do the washers with the vibrocore rims.

You sure you don't have washers already in there? If one rim is vibrocore chances are you might?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cheers. Only got one bag of washers with the rims so will need to order others will check their thickness and allow for that.
Ducky advised on another thread, if a rim is supplied with washers from factory, the printed ERD includes the washer thickness.

If you are doing your own, fit the washers to measure.

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Are they vibrocore rims?
I built up a vibrocore 350 and a vibrocore 359. The 350 was an earlier model and the 359 a later model.
At the time I was confused because I only had one bag of washers but instructions for both rims talked about washers. It turned out that the later model rim had the washers already in place and held in by the vibrocore foam.
Can't remember where I found the info but there was something written up about how spank had changed the way they do the washers with the vibrocore rims.

You sure you don't have washers already in there? If one rim is vibrocore chances are you might?
Non vibrocore. One rim I have had for years prior to Spank advising of using washers. It is also lighter and it’s the rim giving me the wacky measurement. Yet to re-measure will do so on the weekend.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
Non vibrocore. One rim I have had for years prior to Spank advising of using washers. It is also lighter and it’s the rim giving me the wacky measurement. Yet to re-measure will do so on the weekend.
Ah right gotcha.

Where are you going to buy washers?

In know that dirtworks has some for about $23 per 100 but then you gotta factor in delivery which is a flat $15. I haven't actually bought these but they are listed as being 0.3mm thick which seems really thin! Less than half the thickness of others.

I haven't looked for a cheaper source locally...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ah right gotcha.

Where are you going to buy washers?

In know that dirtworks has some for about $23 per 100 but then you gotta factor in delivery which is a flat $15. I haven't actually bought these but they are listed as being 0.3mm thick which seems really thin! Less than half the thickness of others.

I haven't looked for a cheaper source locally...
Try this

AU $28.18 15%OFF | Pillar PW 7048 e...accessories https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPkJxkC

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

shiny

If I remember correctly someone had real trouble with them recently, took months to get the spokes I think.
Note on the site says they have COVID and back to normal now. Any international shipping takes a while currently, not in a huge rush as collecting parts then getting a frame. Might pay to stay local.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Note on the site says they have COVID and back to normal now. Any international shipping takes a while currently, not in a huge rush as collecting parts then getting a frame. Might pay to stay local.
Yeah the problem was with communication from memory. They ordered and paid and them Marc lost the order and didn't respond to emails etc. Think they showed up eventually but who knows. Not my story someone on here had it happen.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Works out to about $10 for 64 and factor in shipping I would also get spokes and nipples or I will get from Dirt Works and have spares.
I walked into a LBS in about 2012 and asked them to get me a couple of Sapim CX Ray spokes, they said do you want us to order a you few spares... Yeah ok make it half a dozen.

They arrived 6 weeks later and the price was $15 each, $90 for 6 spokes :mad:

They were the last spokes I ever bought in Australia.

Bike24 or BikeComponents these days, used to be DansComp for many years.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
@Boom King posted about this UK company
https://www.customcutspokes.co.uk/

Works out to about $10 for 64 and factor in shipping I would also get spokes and nipples or I will get from Dirt Works and have spares.
If I remember correctly someone had real trouble with them recently, took months to get the spokes I think.
I've used Custom Cut, on BK's recommendation. Only problem I've had from them was one occasion when they picked & sent straight-gauge DT Champion spokes instead of the ordered and billed Competition double-butted. When advised of the error, they sent the correct ones straight away,, no extra charges and I kept the wrong spokes. When I had an AusPost delivery problem which they tried to handball, CC were similarly excellent, offering to send a new set then chase reimbursement at their end.

shiny

Finally got around to measuring the ERD again and get an average of 605 with a washer. So no idea what I did before.

WheelPro calculator gives me front 292.1 left and 293 right. Rear 293.3 left right 291.9.

Going on that just order the correct amount of 292 and 293.

Reactions: PJO

shiny

I think so from what I can see. I'm also guilty of thinking it is right then finding that it isn't :) I've been at it too.

This is best YouTube how to. Check and check again.

View attachment 389510
Cheers. Followed Ali Clarksons vid. Will watch that one above and re-check. Had to have a think with the counting spokes and counting under the 3rd. Got the logo lined up with the valve hole and the gap for the pump is right. :)

Cleverly

Likes Bikes
Is there any logic to building the wheel with external spoke pointing away or toward the direction of rotation? (I know that second picture is 2-cross but it demonstrates what I mean)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cheers. Followed Ali Clarksons vid. Will watch that one above and re-check. Had to have a think with the counting spokes and counting under the 3rd. Got the logo lined up with the valve hole and the gap for the pump is right. :)
The logo alignment can be a bit tough to get first time.

I screwed in the nipples till the top of the spoke thread can't be seen. I lined up the first round and then did the clockwise twist that is done after the second round, according to Park, and checked.

About 1/4 of the hub to the left of the keyspoke according to the Park guy but the rims I have are asymmetric and the key spoke is about 2 spoke holes further to the left. I guess YMMV and took me some time to nail that.......but you have to do it :)

The trail gods watch for these sorts of things and we don't upset them, ever......

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Is there any logic to building the wheel with external spoke pointing away or toward the direction of rotation? (I know that second picture is 2-cross but it demonstrates what I mean)
If you have another wheel already built then use it for reference. It helps to see it while you are doing it.

I think Park mentions the spoke direction of rotation for braking and pedal forces. I think it all comes out in the wash while you build it anyhow.