Wheel Build Advice Thread

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ewwwww sheep grease. Lanolin is gross. Be careful with how much you use, kiwi’s can smell it a mile off and you don’t want a hoard of those bastards rockin semi’s chasing you around on a ride.

what you want is a mix of 4 parts slick honey, 2 parts bearing retainer loctite.
How could I forget grease + loctite for the win.

Seriously, don't use loctite or threadlock. It makes truing a f@%king pain.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the tips. I’ll use some kind of lanolin style compound on my next build. Any idea on nipple washers though?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for the tips. I’ll use some kind of lanolin style compound on my next build. Any idea on nipple washers though?
I use washers on every MTB build that run normal nipples, you don't have to use them but it's like the icing on the cake. Thread lockers are last resort on wheel builds for me, usually means something is abnormal if you continue to find loose spokes. If you're a big unit maybe go to better rims like DT Swiss or Spank.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use washers on every MTB build that run normal nipples, you don't have to use them but it's like the icing on the cake. Thread lockers are last resort on wheel builds for me, usually means something is abnormal if you continue to find loose spokes. If you're a big unit maybe go to better rims like DT Swiss or Spank.
Is there a reason you think DT or Spank would be better suited? DT 511 prices seem to be overly inflated. I was keen to Spank 345 but they’ve been replaced with the 350 which have a similar shallow profile to the Flow and I can’t find any glowing reviews of them.
If my riding style is anything to go by, I’ve not damaged my Arch EX rims on a hardtail or trail bike so I am assuming the Flow will be strong enough.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Is there a reason you think DT or Spank would be better suited? DT 511 prices seem to be overly inflated. I was keen to Spank 345 but they’ve been replaced with the 350 which have a similar shallow profile to the Flow and I can’t find any glowing reviews of them.
If my riding style is anything to go by, I’ve not damaged my Arch EX rims on a hardtail or trail bike so I am assuming the Flow will be strong enough.
https://r2-bike.com/DT-SWISS-Rim-29-EX-511
The rim comes with washers and nipples too.

The AUD v EUR is back to pre-apocalypse levels and r2 are shipping here again too. The killer is freight - they used to be 25 Euro, now it’s 50, so you need to buy a bunch of other stuff to make it worthwhile. Similar story with bike-components, 77 Euro for the EX511, 40 Euro shipping.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/dt-swiss-ex-511-mtb-rim/rp-prod161559 - $139 for 28h, $160 for the 32h, free shipping over $200.

Just a shitty time to be buying stuff with the usual o/s players jacking freight because there aren’t many planes in the air.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

The AUD v EUR is back to pre-apocalypse levels and r2 are shipping here again too. The killer is freight - they used to be 25 Euro, now it’s 50, so you need to buy a bunch of other stuff to make it worthwhile. Similar story with bike-components, 77 Euro for the EX511, 40 Euro shipping.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/dt-swiss-ex-511-mtb-rim/rp-prod161559 - $139 for 28h, $160 for the 32h, free shipping over $200.

Just a shitty time to be buying stuff with the usual o/s players jacking freight because there aren’t many planes in the air.
Don't forget to call a good local LBS. I was chasing a DT Swiss rim a while ago and called Monkey Wrench in Hackett ACT and they were within $20 of CRC and could have it within a couple of days.

Nambra

Don't forget to call a good local LBS. I was chasing a DT Swiss rim a while ago and called Monkey Wrench in Hackett ACT and they were within $20 of CRC and could have it within a couple of days.
Agreed. The price difference is often smaller than you expect when you shop around, and few dollars more to have it sooner and support your LBS is worthwhile.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The spoke bed on the Flows are known to crack or split with high spoke tension, if you're already experiencing spoke unwinding most likely not a good combination.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

I could be wrong but I reckon you will find the nipples it ships with are alloy. I built up a 511 rim for a mate and had to buy brass nipples separately. Good rim though. Build came up really well.

To the OP - I’m a bit lighter and have run Flow MK3 on a couple of different wheels on different full sus bikes. I have found them to be a really good rim for me and my riding. I didnt build them right the the very limit of their tension but pretty close and they feel great and have been strong with no issues.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nipple washers are dependant on the rim. DT provide them with their rims and most eyeleted rims don't require them. Just follow the manufacturers instructions.

DT ex511s are the benchmark for an alloy 30mm rim. I can personally vouch for their strength. Stans are a much softer alloy.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve checked all the usual Euro stores and the postage is a killer right now. I can get a Flow locally for $130 delivered, which is on par with Ze Germans. Everyone appears to be out of DT 511 locally and they are similarly priced from Germany with their inflated postage.
Maybe $160 from CRC is the winner and I’ll grab something else to get free postage.
Are 511’s a better choice than Flow mk3?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’ve checked all the usual Euro stores and the postage is a killer right now. I can get a Flow locally for $130 delivered, which is on par with Ze Germans. Everyone appears to be out of DT 511 locally and they are similarly priced from Germany with their inflated postage.
Maybe $160 from CRC is the winner and I’ll grab something else to get free postage.
Are 511’s a better choice than Flow mk3?
If you aren’t breaking archs outright I doubt you’d break flows.
Go with whats cheaper?

I’ve had reasonable luck with hope rims, they might do the job if cheaper than flows. IMO good nips, spokes and a quality build is just as if not more important than rim. And softer aluminium means you’ve less chance of damaging a tyre and getting stranded in the bush if you bottom out the tyre, but the rims easier to ding.

Nambra

I could be wrong but I reckon you will find the nipples it ships with are alloy. I built up a 511 rim for a mate and had to buy brass nipples separately. Good rim though. Build came up really well.

To the OP - I’m a bit lighter and have run Flow MK3 on a couple of different wheels on different full sus bikes. I have found them to be a really good rim for me and my riding. I didnt build them right the the very limit of their tension but pretty close and they feel great and have been strong with no issues.
Yes - last pair of rims I bought had alloy nipples, bought brass ones separately as well. Got lots of alloy Squorx nipples now!

Last edited:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you aren’t breaking archs outright I doubt you’d break flows.
Go with whats cheaper?

I’ve had reasonable luck with hope rims, they might do the job if cheaper than flows. IMO good nips, spokes and a quality build is just as if not more important than rim. And softer aluminium means you’ve less chance of damaging a tyre and getting stranded in the bush if you bottom out the tyre, but the rims easier to ding.
Definitely looking at brass nipples and DT Comp spokes. If Flows have issues with the nipple bed splitting, what is the consensus on Spank 350’s? Has anyone got any experience with them? My brother runs 345’s without issue and he is similar weight to me. I can source them for $125 each locally. I’d love 511’s but don’t know if I can justify the premium price.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Definitely looking at brass nipples and DT Comp spokes. If Flows have issues with the nipple bed splitting, what is the consensus on Spank 350’s? Has anyone got any experience with them? My brother runs 345’s without issue and he is similar weight to me. I can source them for $125 each locally. I’d love 511’s but don’t know if I can justify the premium price.
Grab the spanks. Ol’ Yoann Barelli runs them and he smacks into things harder than we will. I don’t think you’d have an issue with flows either tbh, unless you crank the spoke tension past what they reccomend.

T-Rex

Template denier
Is there a reason you think DT or Spank would be better suited? DT 511 prices seem to be overly inflated.
You get what you pay for. I built up a new rear wheel for myself last week on a DT511 (needs washers), it was $150 from my LBS. i9 hub and DT Alpine triples, it will be indestructible. Spank would be my second choice. I have not run Stans for 10 years, I tend to stick with what I know will not give me problems

jrewing

Eats Squid
I just built an arch mk3 rim into my duroc hub, with the old spokes. Thing lost a load of tension when blown up tubeless. Tensioned it back up and its been great... for how long who knows but its better than the stock cheese rim.
Did it on the frame and it dished and both runouts both spot on.. love it.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You get what you pay for. I built up a new rear wheel for myself last week on a DT511 (needs washers), it was $150 from my LBS. i9 hub and DT Alpine triples, it will be indestructible. Spank would be my second choice. I have not run Stans for 10 years, I tend to stick with what I know will not give me problems
Where is your LBS?!? The usual local online stores have been out of stock for ages and they are all asking close to $200 per.
Looked into Spank 350 a bit and Barelli indeed runs them. Spank list building specs on their site and suggest washers and triple butted spokes. I’m not seeing triples at custom cut spikes so I’ll use doubles with washers.