wheel builder recommendations

treble

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to get a set of wheels built, any recommendations for shops that build them well? Preferably not to far drive from Melbourne's south eastern suburbs, and preferably someone who won't mind building with rims and hubs I've picked up online when I spotted them cheap.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Another vote for Astroboyracer.

You can also try Steve at Whites bikes in Fitzroy North.

Both super awesome wheel builders.

treble

Likes Dirt
"Yourself" there's no black magic in building wheels.
Wheel building is something I have been meaning to learn, it is about the only thing I don't do myself currently. But i haven't got the budget to get a stand and tools for this time around. I'll give it a go at some point down the track.

Another vote for Astroboyracer.
I think I've met that guy before, he used to be at a lot of the Alpine Gravity races a few years ago. seemed like he knew what he was doing. ill look him up, thanks guys.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Wheel building is something I have been meaning to learn, it is about the only thing I don't do myself currently. But i haven't got the budget to get a stand and tools for this time around. I'll give it a go at some point down the track.
all you need is a copy of Roger Mussons wheelbuilding book (Ebook) , a spoke key and a plywood wheel stand

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I finished building my first wheel up yesterday. I finally managed some free time and spent a few hours plodding along with Musson’s book. The wheel turned out great; it’s true and wasn’t as hard as I’d imagined.

It’s a great feeling to get it up to tension and have a wheel look like it should. My first try ended in tears:(

Flow-Rider

Burner
I finished building my first wheel up yesterday. I finally managed some free time and spent a few hours plodding along with Musson’s book. The wheel turned out great; it’s true and wasn’t as hard as I’d imagined.

It’s a great feeling to get it up to tension and have a wheel look like it should. My first try ended in tears:(
They become a lot more easier the more wheels you build. ;)
After you've first installed all the spokes, I've found you can tighten every spoke so that the skirt of the spoke just covers over the thread and then move the rim towards the offset you want by moving each spoke the same amount by counting the turns on flats of the spoke and this keeps the rim fairly true so that you don't need to spend half a day trying to true a rim that's miles out.

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

It’s great isn’t it. I’ve only ever build one but I guess that’s testament to building it well???

It’s still rolling strong after far too many jump casings.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
They become a lot more easier the more wheels you build. ;)
After you've first installed all the spokes, I've found you can tighten every spoke so that the skirt of the spoke just covers over the thread and then move the rim towards the offset you want by moving each spoke the same amount by counting the turns on flats of the spoke and this keeps the rim fairly true so that you don't need to spend half a day trying to true a rim that's miles out.
Yeah it makes sense to me (now) to be methodical with every step. I originally laced it wrong and couldn’t get it true laterally so kinda snapped, relaced it and voile.

I’m keen to build up more now.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
It’s great isn’t it. I’ve only ever build one but I guess that’s testament to building it well???

It’s still rolling strong after far too many jump casings.
Yeah I’m excited to get it tested on my son’s bike. It feels really good to look at a wheel and know (at this very point in time) it is well trued and tensioned.