Wheel building person Melbourne

kip01

Likes Dirt
Hey burners I'm after a local person Melbourne South East that builds wheels from home or work that doesn't charge like a wounded bull. I'm building up some retro dh bikes but don't really want to pay a shop hundreds of dollars to build me wheels happy to pay cash and order Spokes thanks

moorey

call me Mia
Of you’re not time poor (not like the VDHS is in full swing or anything), it’s not that hard to do, and a spoke calculator will work out lengths.
Ignore if no use.

kip01

Likes Dirt
Im more than capable of lacing the wheel just don't have the skill of truing correctly plus I don't have a stand nor the patience

moorey

call me Mia
Im more than capable of lacing the wheel just don't have the skill of truing correctly plus I don't have a stand nor the patience
Fair enough. I’ve built only about a dozen, but never used a truing stand. I sit it in the bike with zippy ties as gauges.

kip01

Likes Dirt
problems I'm having with the spoke calculator is frames have floating brake arm not sure weather this gets included in hub width or not

teK--

Eats Squid
I have used astroboy in Collingwood he build some great wheels for myself and others. About $80 per wheel including spokes and nipples.

I would advise against providing your own spokes as the builder cannot guarantee they will end up being optimal length despite what your calculator says.

kip01

Likes Dirt
I have used astroboy in Collingwood he build some great wheels for myself and others. About $80 per wheel including spokes and nipples.

I would advise against providing your own spokes as the builder cannot guarantee they will end up being optimal length despite what your calculator says.
That's not too bad how long ago was this?

safreek

Do you have to buy rims and hubs off him for such a cheap build

kip01

Likes Dirt
Well I just spoke to my local bike shop they want $2 per spoke to just true the wheel not including Spokes or lace. I'm hoping to use the cheap halo Spokes from supersports

moorey

call me Mia
If you weren’t in a rush, and got your spokes dialed, I could grab the stuff off you at Baw Baw and build up for Beauty. I suspect you want it for Baw Baw and Beauty.
Disclaimer. I rate myself as an above average self taught spanner monkey. I tend to overrate myself.

kip01

Likes Dirt
Nah these are for vintage bikes that probably won't get ridden and I don't race dh anymore maybe you thinking of someone else ? But thanks for the offer

moorey

call me Mia
Nah these are for vintage bikes that probably won't get ridden and I don't race dh anymore maybe you thinking of someone else ? But thanks for the offer
Oh. Thought you were doing the VDHS. I guess that explains the stink eye I got at Narby when I pinched his arse and said ‘Hey Tas’ :oops:

kip01

Likes Dirt
Oh. Thought you were doing the VDHS. I guess that explains the stink eye I got at Narby when I pinched his arse and said ‘Hey Tas’ :oops:
Ha ha yeah definitely wasnt me I feel like I've missed out now ;) would love to start racing again