Wheel size - Let's start a fight

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Just kidding, need some nOob advice.

I have a 29er SS and want to employ it for commuting duties.

I want slicks / city tyres. Can I just put 700c tyrs on it (35cmaybe?) or do I have to buy 29" specific tyres.
There seems to be misinformation everywhere I look.
Some say 29" is the same as 700c, just wider, others say that 700c is actually 28", others say blah blah.
Just want to know what to buy if I want slicks on my 29er. Help!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
just 700c are fine IMHO you cant go past Vittoria for commuter tyres eg randonneur .
They make 28 ,32 + 35 mm wide very good quality.
the 28mm are good ,32 for rough roads or gravel.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
29"/700c are both 622mm bead seat diameter (the critical measurementfor ensuring tyres & rims fit together), so you have a huge range of tyres available to choose from. MTB rims are typically wider than road rims, so you wouldn't want to fit super-narrow road bike tyres, but 35s will be no problem at all.

Those "hybrid bike" tyres are are often referred to as 28" rather than 29" because the outside diameter is smaller in line with the lower profile compared to big-bag MTB tyres. However, regardless of which wheels are used, that commonly-used tyre designation(26", 29", 700 etc.) is really inaccurate.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've been running 28c tyres on arch and archex rims for 18 months ... Great setup. I would not have any concerns suggesting this will be a fine tyr size on any rims of 21mm inner width or less. Some of the more trendy road rims lately are getting around this width, they give a nice tyre profile.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
29 is so much better than any wheel size... oh wait that isn't what this is about.

Thanks for posting this actually, I have been wondering about it too. I have a SS 700c road bike with flat bars I want to stick wider tyres on.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweeeet!! My carbon flat bar roadie just became a single speed 29er! All while just hanging on its hook in the garage! Surely that has just tripled its resale value.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
My Giant Cypress flat bar 29er 1x10 commuter gravel grinder (insert other trendy labels here) runs 700x42 Maxxis Wormdrive tyres...though if I'm honest it might actually be a mongrel 700c hybrid with fat road tyres...I don't know....

If I put drop bars on it...is it a 29er or still just a hybrid? Or another fuck up entirely?

As for 700x28 road tyres on a 29er mountain bike...they look as dumb and pointless as 20 inch wheels and spray on tyres on a Range Rover....just admit that you are a roadie in name only.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
My SS Commuter MTB is running Schwalbe Marathon Dureme in 622 x 50C on WTB 29er Speed Disc rims. Beautiful nice bags of air to provide cushioning from the rigid frame/fork.

My spare set of wheels for the Dually is a Crest/WTB combo runnning Maxxis Detonators in 29" x 38. More speed orientated than the Duremes on the SS, and less bag, but the dually soaks up the bumps even locked out in C on the CTD Fox suspension, so no biggy.